writer looking for research sources -preferably in Miami & New York City - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006

Janie is on a distinguished road
writer looking for research sources -preferably in Miami & New York City

I'm writing a novel (my second - the first hits bookstores this October) called "Hooked." Loosely based on a Grimm's fairy tale and set in contempoary Miami, it tells the story of a 28 year old guy whose dream of sailing solo around the world gets waylaid when an enchanted fish uses his magical powers to help him hook a beautiful but greedy Romanian waitress.
I know - sounds goofy. But considering my first book, Doggy Style, is about the demise of a NYC couple's relationship as seen through the eyes of their dog, what do you expect?

Anyway - my character, Woody (in "Hooked") happens to be re-furbishing a 37 foot wooden boat (double-ended gaff cutter in the style of Collin-Archer)
which he wants to sail solo (insppired by Capt Slocum) around the world. Meanwhile, he has a job at an exclusive yacht club in Coconut Grove. This is also where he happens to get "blown off course" by - what else - a broad.

Having been weaned on a power boat and having two year relationship (well over 10 years ago with a guy who owned a 35'5' Bristol (loved saiing) my knowledge is limited. So here's what I need - critical eyes so that I make sure what I write is nautically accurate. And that I don't get my knickers in a knot when trying to describe something. What's in it for you? A place in my acknowledgements & perhaps a signed copy.

So...first 2 questions........
and please pardon my ignorance.

So Woody is rigging up a Sonar at the dock to take this broad out for a sail of Biscayne Bay. What would he typcially be doing? Could you describe it?

In order to get out of the channel (Dinner Key) would you motor out?

You can either post here or e-mail to janiem634@aol.com

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Janie; 04-11-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Don't know anything much about Dinner Key, but if you're referring to the Bruce Kirby-designed 23' Sonar, then it's a fairly hot little club-level racer and fast daysailer, and unlikely to have a motor at all. All the cooler, Woody's a "purist" who's going to sail in and out of that channel even though it's probably difficult, depending on the wind direction. If it's the typical Florida long, narrow channel, it could take about a zillion tacks to navigate it, but that could be part of the attraction; with no motor, it'd impress his "crew".

Woody could be sliding the foot of the mainsail into the boom, looking up to make sure the halyards are clear before rigging them, reeving the jib sheets through the blocks, or, if he's really hard-core, stuffing the spinnaker into the turtle and rigging up spinnaker sheets because he's going to really show her what pure sailing's like, even though he'll need a third or fourth arm to "fly the kite" by himself if she's not and experienced sailor.

Point is, he's taking her out on a rather spartan, sail-only boat, not a comfy little pocket cruiser where you don't spill the drinks.

That help any?

Last edited by nolatom; 04-11-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2006

"Nolatom" (I assume you're the Tom)
Hey - thanks, this is certainly a start.
Yeah - that's the Sonar to which I'm referring. Decided against a dinghy pram as they tip over real easy & that wouldn't go very far to impressing the young lady, Madalina.
So no motor, eh? I like that idea and will definitely use your suggestion.
So he would hoist the sail obviously in order to get out of the slip, etc.
I guess I should find out how long Dinner Key is...
Where are you located, by the by?
Old 04-11-2006

You could try this link, if it works, it's a glossary of charts, look for the ones around Miami Harbor:

http://www.nauticalcharts.gov/viewer...CoastTable.htm

I'm in New Orleans (what's left of it) and occasionally teach sailing here. Grew up in Marblehead, Mass, so sailed New England growing up.
Old 04-11-2006

Oh that's far too sophisticated for me, but thanks.
Wow - New Orleans, eh? Did you home take a hit?
Marblehead-wise - lived in Boston for 9 years so I know it well.
Old 04-11-2006

'fraid so, but hope to move back in (upstairs) next month or so.

Sailing harbor was wrecked, but it's starting to come back. You still have to navigate around the sunk bows, masts, pilings. Many large boats still piled on shore. 7 months later and it's still surreal. Sailing lessons are also sort of a disaster tour, but still nice to get out again.
Old 04-12-2006

Wow - that's intense!
Attended several fundraisers in NYC to support the re-building cause...but the damn government seems to be moving so slowly...and the hurricane season fast approaches.
going to try to weave in what you wrote yesterday & see what happens.