Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Worst place to sail in the U.S.
primary locations 1 100.00%
secondary locations 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Worst place in the U.S. to sail...

While I've run powerboats in more places than I would like to recall, I've only sailed the East Coast of the U.S. from the Chesapeake's upper reaches south to Marathon, Florida. Some of those places along the way were pretty neat, even in marginal weather, while others were just plain nasty. Of them, the worst I can recall, both headed south and north, were Charleston Harbor, the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound. Charleston Harbor has a tidal current that screams in both directions, and often conflicts with the wind, thus creating stacking, or standing waves that can be brutal when encountered. The winds got to 35 to 40 MPH while I was crossing Charleston Harbor last November, and the tide was screaming in the opposite direction. The best speed I could make under power was 1.5 MPH. There was a lot of time that the boat was at a 45-degree angle bow up and bow down. Man that was a nasty 9 hour ride to the south end of the harbor.

The Neuse River was not much different, but not quite as bad. I was able to manage 3 MPH on that leg of the trip.

Pamlico sound is not the place to be when the wind is whipping along from the north at 30 to 35 MPH, but that's where I was - right in the middle of the sound when the wind came up. No turning back - just a nasty, wet, cold, bumpy ride for 8 solid hours.

I'm confident there are worse place to sail, but fortunately, I have not encountered them as yet.

I screwed the poll up so you can forget that part and just post the worst places you've sailed.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 05-29-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Worst place in the U.S. to sail...

That portion of the trip sounds like fun 1.5 mph
Old 05-30-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

worst place? North Dakota.
Second worst place? New Mexico.
SoOkay, msmith10 and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
worst place? North Dakota.
Are you speaking from experience?
Old 05-30-2014

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

Having covered much of the same ground I agree with Gary but St Andrew Sound gets my vote. There is a reason they went to the trouble to create an alternate route. Chart 11504
Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 05-30-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Any of the larger bodies of water along the ICW develop a nasty, short chop. I've rarely had so much water continually running across the deck as when beating across Abelmarle going south last year. Delaware Bay is also an ugly stretch of water. Gardiners Bay very often develops a short, square chop as well. Those waters that are just deep enough and have enough fetch to quickly develop large square waves are the worst: 10-20' deep+10 miles of fetch with an opposing current= misery.
Old 05-30-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Sometimes some places get nasty, other times they're great. That's just the nature of sailing. I've spent a lot more time having great sails on the waters of North Carolina than I have with bad days, for instance.

Or, another for instance, I don't even bother to raise the sails in Charleston Harbor. Just motor straight outside, where I can actually sail. And from Cape Fear south, pretty much any inlet/sound is a bear if you don't hit it at the right time. Plus, if you're on the ICW, chances are you're motoring, not sailing, anyway.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Delaware bay has been more unfriendly to me than most places. Just my bad luck perhaps.
It's been either windless, hot and loaded with greenheads or snotty.
johnnyquest37 likes this.
Old 05-30-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Florida.

The wind is almost always out of the south, which is great if you are northbound, but if you ever have to go south it's motoring most of the way. If you are going south and get you get a northerly wind, you then have to deal with the gulfstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
And from Cape Fear south, pretty much any inlet/sound is a bear if you don't hit it at the right time. Plus, if you're on the ICW, chances are you're motoring, not sailing, anyway.
I used to live near Lockwood Folly inlet and it was astonishing how many people were killed or injured trying to run that inlet on a semi-regular basis.
Old 05-30-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

I always marveled at the few folks who kept sailboats inside one of the bars along the Oregon Coast.

Assuming you can safely cross the bar, there is nowhere to go for hundreds of miles. I wouldn't say it's the "worst" place to sail, because you can certainly sail, and anyone who keeps a boat here must really like to sail.
arisatx likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.