Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Pissed off crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I learned a long time ago that theres two positions on a boat: the owner, and, everyone else.

So I stopped sailing on other peoples boats, and bought my own boat

Mark
That is exactly what I am thinking. Great advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Did you check the forecast to see if he had weather related reason to leave 1 day early?
When was he planning to let you know?

I'd be pissed too. My gut tells me he found another crew member in his 9 day layover, or the original crew member re-appeared. Assuming (I know that's a bad thing) that he didn't leave shorthanded.

Seems like crappy thing to do.. just to save $175 ( his portion of your generous offer) He had to know that changing a ticket last minute costs $$ and that you had to jump through hoops to clear your calendar.
rockDAWG and christian.hess like this.
Old 05-31-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I would be pissed, if I lost the money in this circumstance. Hard to judge the skipper without their side of the story. Weather, etc?

The email to the skipper was a farewell email. Not that you would want to take another chance with him, but it certainly poisoned the well and you won't be given one either.

Live and learn. Sail for free, if you like, but don't pay to do it.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-31-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I am constantly amazed at those of you who will expend your own money to crew on someone else's boat. It is work. They should be picking up the tab for you.

If everyone refused to do this, the owners would be forced to pay for crew and/or use delivery captains.

Hey, it's a free country and a free market, do whatever you want...but I second the recommendation to buy your own boat and tell these clowns to pound sand...
eherlihy likes this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 05-31-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2014
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Slayer: make sure you tell Hank. Hank should take him off the "Crew Wanted" Pool.
Old 05-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Slayer: make sure you tell Hank. Hank should take him off the "Crew Wanted" Pool.

Done.
Old 05-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I am constantly amazed at those of you who will expend your own money to crew on someone else's boat. It is work. They should be picking up the tab for you.

If everyone refused to do this, the owners would be forced to pay for crew and/or use delivery captains.

Hey, it's a free country and a free market, do whatever you want...but I second the recommendation to buy your own boat and tell these clowns to pound sand...
James how can you call something you enjoy work? Climbing mountains, hiking trails, running marathons all require effort. It's not sitting on a beach drinking a Piña Colada, but work? Now I do tell my long time girl friend it's "like" work to make the idea of me being away unsupervised for a week or so more palatable to her. But for me it's a great and much needed adventure. And I have met some wonderful people who are now long time friends. And there are other perks. Numerous times the boat's owners have taken me out to dinner in very nice restaurants, and I was even treated to a fabulous brunch at the Annapolis Yacht Club (Egg and crab Benedict..yummm!). What I can't understand are these people who pay to fly around the world to hit a little white ball around someone's well manicured lawn. But hey, to each his own.

And though I have thus far been lucky, I do assume some risk. But for me it's worth it.
smackdaddy and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by Slayer; 05-31-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I am on the side of "it is work" only because you are on someone else's schedule. If it was "vacation" you would be setting the itinerary. Why you would pay your own transportation to crew for someone is the first question that popped into my head, after all you did have to send a resume.

Just my $.02
Slayer and eherlihy like this.
Old 05-31-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

For what it is worth, I think your good bye letter was premature, if you wanted to keep the lines of communication open. At this point you do not know his reasoning for aborting your plan and you have severed relations with him for future adventures. Is that a lose-lose equation? Also, I think the cost of your ticket taken in context of what it would cost to finance a sailing trip from Bermuda to Baltimore is almost insignificant and could be easily overlooked, given possible circumstances at the other end. It is always better to talk things out...and then sent the poisoned dart as needed.
Good luck in the future
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

thats true too...maybe he never even left who knows!

anyways...

Im always amazed at how thin minded some people are on here...the world can be as big or small as you want it...have no idea why everything must always be perfect for you, spend as little, risk as little and basically have it all planned out or its considered foolish...

basically look for somebody else to ride with...look for easy going responsible people and if you indeed get tired get your own boat...

but its not like you can fly your own boat on whim whenever you want right...?

there is always a compromise to things...

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.