Pissed off crew - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 Old 05-31-2014 Thread Starter

Re: Pissed off crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
For what it is worth, I think your good bye letter was premature, if you wanted to keep the lines of communication open. At this point you do not know his reasoning for aborting your plan and you have severed relations with him for future adventures. Is that a lose-lose equation? Also, I think the cost of your ticket taken in context of what it would cost to finance a sailing trip from Bermuda to Baltimore is almost insignificant and could be easily overlooked, given possible circumstances at the other end. It is always better to talk things out...and then sent the poisoned dart as needed.
Good luck in the future
Good point. I wish I could say I really thought it through before responding to him, but I didn't. I had spent almost three hours waiting in court that day to move my last case so I could go on this trip. It took all the will power I could muster to temper my response to the email I ultimately sent. With that said, I don't care that this bridge is burned. I had sailed with him once before, and had some reservations about going with him again. So with the benefit of time and reflection, maybe I can say it was meant to be. I think if it had been one of the other Captains that I have been privileged to sail with, I would have assumed their decision was not made thoughtlessly. But knowing this captain, I assumed (and I could be wrong) that the decision was made without any regard for me. I truly believe he wasn't even going to let me know!! He didn't even provide an explanation. So maybe along with the inconvenience, my feelings were hurt.....waaaaaaa! But I have my big girl panties on now, have learned a lesson, and am moving on.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

get some depends and youll be good for much anything else

jajaja joking...

look for the good people to sail with...not those with the bling or the "reputation" or the bravado...usually the calm, cool headed, and quiet sailors are the best...

excludiing dinghy racing! jajajja
ccriders and Slayer like this.

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
post #23 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I am constantly amazed at those of you who will expend your own money to crew on someone else's boat. It is work. They should be picking up the tab for you.

If everyone refused to do this, the owners would be forced to pay for crew and/or use delivery captains.

Hey, it's a free country and a free market, do whatever you want...but I second the recommendation to buy your own boat and tell these clowns to pound sand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
James how can you call something you enjoy work?
If you don't think it's work, read about rockDAWG's latest delivery "Most Exhausting Delivery thus far" It is work.

I love sailing, too, and I did deliveries years ago and enjoyed all of it, but it was hard work. You are delivering a boat most times because the owner knows better. The boats are not always as they have been represented to you, most have been sitting for a long time with little maintenance, and you are delivering with a short handed crew. Sure, you might be able to find more crew, but were do you put them? Most boats have at best two good sea berths if you are lucky. And what about experienced crew? I've done too many deliveries with inexperienced crew (crew tend to misrepresent their experience) and it's dangerous. Most experienced blue water sailors are not going to pay an owner to deliver their boat, and that's what you are doing when crew pay an expense such as travel that an owner should be taking out of his pocket.

I'm with James 100%. Stop paying to deliver boats and a lot of abuse stops with it. I got out of deliveries years ago because I simply could not pay my bills. That's the reality of the situation. I'm about to retire this year and maybe I'll dip my toes in the delivery pool again since I don't have to worry about money, but I still would not do it for free.

Capt Tony
post #24 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

he is not paying others or did I get that wrong? he is paying to get to the boat...and he is paid to fly back

which is normal

some sailors that want experience are happy to pay or share costs for the experience

telling people to not do that is narrowminded and unhelpfull

lets stop telling people what to do and not do...

just help!

slayer shrub it off...and search for someone better...but please dont listen to me or others...do what you think is right...jajaja

learn along the way
Slayer likes this.

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
post #25 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
jzk

That captain owes you your ticket money back. He is in breach of your agreement.
post #26 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
he is paying to get to the boat which is normal
Crew paying any expense for a boat delivery is money the owner does not pay - same as paying the owner IMHO. Let's face it. The owner did not take money out of his pocket now did he? When I did deliveries, all expenses for myself and crew were paid by the owner. Furthermore, I paid crew. It was a different time, before the Internet and crews willing to do it for nothing or pay to do it.

Quote:
some sailors that want experience are happy to pay or share costs for the experience
Thank you for so strongly making my point. Do you really want an inexperienced sailor out there in the middle of nowhere when the going gets rough? I still cringe thinking about the time I had a 48 year old man lying in the fetal position crying in the cabin just because we got in a storm and 20' swells during a delivery. I was at the helm (no autopilot) for almost 24 hours thanks to him.

Quote:
telling people to not do that is narrowminded and unhelpfull
So I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion. By the way, aren't there forum rules against name calling?

Capt Tony

Last edited by CaptTony; 05-31-2014 at 11:22 AM.
post #27 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
So I stopped sailing on other peoples boats, and bought my own boat

Mark
Sailing other peoples boats sounds nice, but it does come with many risks and not for everyone. It is certainly not a permanent solution to many.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #28 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
If you don't think it's work, read about rockDAWG's latest delivery "Most Exhausting Delivery thus far" It is work.

I love sailing, too, and I did deliveries years ago and enjoyed all of it, but it was hard work. You are delivering a boat most times because the owner knows better. The boats are not always as they have been represented to you, most have been sitting for a long time with little maintenance, and you are delivering with a short handed crew. Sure, you might be able to find more crew, but were do you put them? Most boats have at best two good sea berths if you are lucky. And what about experienced crew? I've done too many deliveries with inexperienced crew (crew tend to misrepresent their experience) and it's dangerous. Most experienced blue water sailors are not going to pay an owner to deliver their boat, and that's what you are doing when crew pay an expense such as travel that an owner should be taking out of his pocket.

I'm with James 100%. Stop paying to deliver boats and a lot of abuse stops with it. I got out of deliveries years ago because I simply could not pay my bills. That's the reality of the situation. I'm about to retire this year and maybe I'll dip my toes in the delivery pool again since I don't have to worry about money, but I still would not do it for free.
Yeap, it is work. I often work like a slave, repairing, cleaning the head, on my knees clean floor or whatever need to be done. The reward is that I can continue to gain is the experience to sail many different boats in many different conditions. It is the experience that I value in a relatively short period of time. I have met many good captain/owner and become good friends through sailing other peoples boat. Many have served as my reference for me in the past either openly or thru private conversation to help me to secure more position. Like this one

Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback

Unfortunately, Sailing others people can rub other people in a wrong way. Like this one:

Most Exhausting Delivery thus far

Perhaps they think I will eat away their only likelihood of income. It will bring haters in your way. But hey, we are in a capitalism society. Money is everywhere, one just needs to know how to pick it up.

Set your objective, stay on course, ignore the noise and reach your goals. Oh yeah, pay attentions to your SO when at home. LOL

Slayer likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 05-31-2014 at 02:54 PM.
post #29 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
Reward for lost Kraken!

Slayer-
"So the lesson I learned is to ask if there is a possibility of an early departure and plan accordingly."
You missed one: There are USERS out there. They may be perfectly nice people (isn't that what everyone says about the mass murderer next door?) but they are users and given the chance, they will consume you. In one way or another.
If it works out to your convenience, great, but never invest [gamble] more than you can throw away without regret.
Slayer, davidpm, smurphny and 2 others like this.
post #30 of 52 Old 05-31-2014
first sailed january 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I learned a long time ago that theres two positions on a boat: the owner, and, everyone else.

So I stopped sailing on other peoples boats, and bought my own boat

Mark
Agreeing. Which is why it never crosses my mind to improve my seagoing ability by crewing with others. I'll go as local race crew, and of course sail with friends and such. It just has never even entered my mind to crew offshore with someone, even though I want to learn to sail offshore.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.