Sailing to St. Martin - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2014 Thread Starter

Sailing to St. Martin

We came back to the pier in Yarmouth today to find a Catalina 27 barely tied up with a single stern line. The boat had lost its bow line and had flipped around and was hitting the dock pretty badly on the aft quarter. No spring lines. I used the dinghy to push the bow back around against the 10-12kt winds just as the owner showed up. He and his lady claimed they were hitting the "big water" and heading to st. Martin tomorrow. There is a st. Martin NS which is where I hope they are referring to. Although that is back in the direction they say they came from.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-01-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Sailing to St. Martin

Good on you for addressing his immediate issue. Good on him for trying to live his dream. As long as they are heading away from you, and me, it's all good. I hope that he has an operable VHF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2014

I'm not sure it's 'good on them" to try a blue water passage in an unsuitable boat having already demonstrated a lack of seamanship. But they will likely be fine.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter

I spoke to the skipper on Monday and they are indeed sailing to THE St. Martin. I wished him safe passage.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

-----------------------------------------------------
post #5 of 6 Old 06-05-2014
Broad Reachin'

Does he have a blog? I'd love to follow it.

Catalina 34

post #6 of 6 Old 06-05-2014
Freedom 39

Did anybody mention to them that hurricane season officially started June 1st? That might be the kind of details they missed... I hope they don't run into any major weather on their voyage. The coasties have been far too busy lately!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.