Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: What do cruisers do?

More than anything else. I want to sail from place to place and find surf spots. Second I want to take photos of places that are hard to get to otherwise.

Ultimately I want to use it as the ultimate tool to get to see a lot of different countries. I could have spent money and flown to Indonesia this summer(in summer one of the worlds best surf) and stayed in a dirt cheap apartment for months and eaten local food and surfed like mad. Or I could travel Europe on the cheap, but I don't want to. I want to sail places. As a matter of fact my family went on a Northern Europe cruise and offered me a free go of it, but I couldn't do it. I'll go to Europe again when I can sail myself there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2014

sailorsam69 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sailorsam69

To me the biggest clue to your dilemma was your use of the word "mission". From that i get the idea that you need to have an end goal or achieve something from your efforts. I know alot of people like that, i used to be like that myself. I had to quit it due to the high cost to my mental and physical health. Being "driven" is a very exciting and can be a very rewarding lifestyle. I now more fully understand the phrase"getting there is half the fun" The other half is BEING there. These days really BEING there is my great reward. It took me along time to get comfortable with being alone for long periods of time, but now that I am I never feel as if i have to have something to do or someplace to be other than exactly where i am right now.
Old 06-05-2014
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

I'm more of a "it's about the getting there" while the wife is more "it's about the being there". That being said if the view is nice enough even I can just sit and do nothing….

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Excellent photos. Haha. You weren't doing nothing, you were photographing the scenery. I can do that!

No seriously, really once pictures, where were they taken at?

Old 06-05-2014
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

Top down…

Pederson Glacier, Aialik Bay, Kenai Fjords area of Alaska

Next two are Northwestern Fjord, Kenai Fjords area of Alaska

The seal is in Home Cove, Nuka Island about 65 miles SW of Seward, Alaska.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 06-06-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

What do Cruisers do? From what I can tell, they spend a lot of time fixing their boat and constantly complaining how the locals are trying to screw them and then they try to evade the local taxes. The rest of the time they spend drinking the cheapest booze they can cuz they're running out of money while scheming somehow to get the newest arrival to hire them to do some work on his boat instead of paying the locals.
Livia likes this.
Old 06-06-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
What do Cruisers do? From what I can tell, they spend a lot of time fixing their boat and constantly complaining how the locals are trying to screw them and then they try to evade the local taxes. The rest of the time they spend drinking the cheapest booze they can cuz they're running out of money while scheming somehow to get the newest arrival to hire them to do some work on his boat instead of paying the locals.
Clearly you're not one of us because if you were you would have a less cynical and insulting view. But i'll cut you some slack because from your phrase "A far as I can tell" it is also clear that you have never been out there and are thus very poorly informed.

Back to the thread.

I spend a lot of my cruising time staying away from snow and ice.

And as flippant as that may sound, therein lies my solution. When the water and surroundings are cold and isolated, options of things to do are few and general activities in the area are few.

When the water and surroundings are warm, there is generally a lot more activity. More boats, more people, places to visit, reefs to dive, fish to be caught, tans to be improved, the list gets longer and longer.

Like some others above, we also prefer to be amongst other people when we stop for a while. In warmer climes, we get to an anchorage that has no other boats and I immediately start to wonder "what's wrong with the place". For us its nice to meet people whether they're on another boat or in a village/town.

And I agree, it's better for me to have a purpose - go to town to wander around? Well, yes but we'll do that when we go to fetch fresh salads or bread. To walk 20 miles just to walk twenty miles? Not for me.
northoceanbeach likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-06-2014
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

In the short time I spent cruising most of my routine was reading books, playing music, re-adjusting the anchors because of SW FL silt, attempting to fish, keeping a wary eye out for FL power boaters, enjoying sunsets/night time/sunrises on the water, learning what it really means for me to be human, invented and defined the term Jibster (search forums for post), feeling for sorry for everyone still stuck on land wasting precious time better spent being in quiet contemplation of their own personal humanity while on a sailboat. I also met wonderful and curious people in my travels in the most hidden and least traveled of anchorage spots. Life has so much more to offer than brittle little slivers of the broken dreams of our youth. I led a very productive and successful life by most standards today but I realize now all that time was spent not defining myself as a person or bettering myself as a human being it was simply spent doing what was expected in a ******. All those decades lost in frivolous endeavor, but no more not for me. I sold my last boat and am now looking for a smaller more manageable boat given my body's mechanical issues and make no mistake, as soon as I get that boat it will be a rare incident that I will be found on on the forums. I will be answering the question posed by the OP every single day I wake up and I will be wondering how you are all doing, my Sailnet friends!

Morgan 22
Naples, FL

Last edited by AncientTech; 06-06-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I actually have "been out there" quite a bit and my post is based on observations and it is less cynical than sarcastic. Every cruiser I know in the bahamas bitches about the cruising fee and the 30% import taxes (I do it too) until you realize they have no other taxes.
Every cruiser I know there tries to get around the import tax but so do the locals.
Every cruiser I know there tries to get around using Batelco for phone service. Batelco is a doomed state owned phone monopoly.
Every long term cruiser I have met there (except those who are financially independent) has tried some way make money from other arrivals. Listen on the VHF and you'll hear em advertising their services.
I can't blame the cruisers for doing these things but I do think they spend an excessive amount of time trying to avoid local taxes.
My observations may be due to the class of people I hang out with. People with a lot of money and fancy boats wouldn't be seen with me whereas people with older boats and a limited amount of money seem to see me as kindred when they see my old boat.
What I think is interesting is what people who are chartering do vs longer term cruisers. Charterers seem to have much more spending money and spend their days hitting the well known spots and nights partying. Long term cruisers spend their days walking to the far off cheaper grocery store and to the hardware store and at night fall asleep from all the walking.
Livia and AncientTech like this.
Old 06-06-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Wow!

Nobody gettin any?

What a perfect setting for long, slow all day humpin. But if you'd rather varnish, whatever gets you through the night.