Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2001

svosprey is on a distinguished road
CNG to Propane Conversion

I would be happy to. I live aboard and my boat came with CNG. It was a hassle to get the cng and very expensive. It is 55$ to exchange at the marina I am at now. One tank of cng lasted me less than a month. I called CSI and even though the stove is now sold by seaward they helped me get the conversion kit. The reason you have to run a new thermostat is because the kit comes with a new oven knob? assembely and the thermostat and copper coil go into it. The orifices just screw out ands you screw in the new ones. I got the number from a plaque in the stove. As far as the locker stuff you can always hang it on your sternrail, the cost of living aboard and buying cng isn''t really an option as you almost need 2 tanks so you have gas when the other ran out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2001

I never gave any info about my propane locker set-up. Why would you assume I just changed the "jets". I know the hazards of propane just like you and everyone else who owns a boat. My "know sweat approach" easily passed survey as I bought the proper parts and materials. I see you are proud of being in 30ft waves in the gulfstream and wonder why you were caught in such conditions?
Old 07-11-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

svosprey,
have you sailed much offshore ?
if you have you will know that running into big seas is inevitable even with the best weather steerers and the best electronics. i am not proud that i sailed into 30 foot seas last fall but i am glad we survived it. i thought that some people would find it interesting.
i also have videos of us heaved to this spring in 50+ knot winds and then as the winds peaked we went to a jordan drogue. but i guess you wouldn''t be interested in that either.
fair winds
eric
Old 07-14-2001

No offense, how do you like it when your post is trivialized. I responded to try to help someone that had the same problem I had and overcame. I really don''t mind an honest opinion if they actually read the post and don''t quote me as saying or doing something I didn''t say or do. Thanks
Old 07-14-2001

RichardToba is on a distinguished road

Having started this string, I''d like to thank all that contributed. Let me recap. CNG is very safe, lasts only a few weeks in normal use, is expensive, and not available outside the US. Surprisingly (to me) CSI will supply the source of conversion to propane if you call them. I intend to call (number please).
Now let me extend the discussion. For those that have converted. Did you puirchase a prefab propane locker or build your own? What was your rationale?
Old 07-18-2001

carisea is on a distinguished road

phone number for Seaward is 1-562-699-7997
i have played phone tag with these people. If you actually get to talk to someone live please let me know what is involved and about what it costs. Thanks Carisea