SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   CNG to Propane Conversion (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/1454-cng-propane-conversion.html)

RichardToba 06-05-2001 11:44 AM

CNG to Propane Conversion

I have a CSI stove which uses compressed natural gas (CNG). I would like to know if anyone ever converted there CNG stove to propane. In particular I would like to know about replacing the gas jets.

svosprey 06-07-2001 03:37 PM

I converted my CSI (seaward) stove to propane, I beleive it cost around 100$. The hardest part was running the new thermostat through the oven. The rest is just changing the orifices. Worked great and saved big bucks. CNG is a good idea that just doesn''t work.

kimberlite 06-07-2001 05:10 PM

i would think twice about the conversion to propane. you will need to install a gas tight propane locker, solenoid , sniffer and
control panel and new hose and a through hull vent for the locker.
unless you go offshore to other countries i would just get a few 132 cubic foot cng tanks and call it a day.
eric

Denr 06-08-2001 07:19 AM

I agree with kimberlite, what is the propane advantage? Most public gas companies will even fill the exisiting bottles with nat gas for free, that is, if the tanks have been tested in the last ten years. Nat gas is much safer than propane, does not require the sealed locker or the sniffer. Would you convert your home cooking or heating to propane? NFW Only exception to this would be if you''re planning a trip around the world. Thats my story and I''m sticking to it.

kimberlite 06-08-2001 04:56 PM

i forgot to mention that i converted my boat from cng only because am going offshore.
it was a pain in the a**. stick with cng.
eric

RichardToba 06-15-2001 05:11 AM

We plan to go the the Bahamas, where I''ve been told CNG is not available. CNG only lasts (for us) several weeks. I realize convesion is a pain and costly. QUESTION: Why the change to thermostats? And where was it (and the new jets) obtained?

mauricefrompolo 06-16-2001 10:05 AM

check out the orfices before you go to replace them. many are adjustable for change over. if you take the orfice off look on the inside of the tube that you took it from and see if there is like a sharp pointed brass piece inserted in the tube that comes into contact with the orfice from the back side. tightening down the orfice reduces the flow of gas (cng) and loosening it increases gas flow (lpg). "CAUTION" LPG is heaver than air and if there are pilot lights on the appliance it may necessitate lowering the physical location of the pilot light to accomidate this condition. This also leads to why boat owners are trying to get away from lpg "heaver than air means that it will settle in the low areas of the boat and become explosion hazards". Believe me, because my dad was blown up in the basement of an old house because of this very thing.

RichardToba 06-18-2001 06:01 AM

thanx, will check next weekend when on boat.

carisea 07-06-2001 11:34 AM

It seems one guy said it was easy and cheap and others say it is very difficult. We do plan to go to the islands. Could the sailor who thought it no sweat please expand his thoughts

kimberlite 07-06-2001 07:10 PM

i reviewed the guys comments who "just changed the jets in his stove". that is the suicide approach to conversion.
he didn''t even add an electrical solenoid to his tank.
you shouldn''t re jet without adding a separate locker for the propande tank
which is vented overboard, a propane sniffer, and a solenoid and switch panel as well as add gas proof connections to the propane locker. i am sure his no sweat approach would not pass an insurance survey.
i converted kimberlite to propane and it was difficult to find space for the locker.
if you are really intent on spending a lot of time cruising offshore go for it.
a rejet kit is available from corp bros in mass.
if you would like to discuss this further or see some photos of kimberlite - a completely restored tartan 37 or see some videos of us surfing some 30 footers in the gulf stream.
please e- mail me at kimberlt@optonline.net
fair winds
eric