Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014

H and E is on a distinguished road
Dog on board

We have a Border Collie that has been on the boat once. We would like to spend some nights on the boat with the dog. How do you get a dog trained to use the facilities? What & where do you place the ?? I would like her to go in the aft part of the cockpit on something I could wash down. I will appreciate any advise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Dog on board

If it's a sporadic thing, I'd row my dog to shore before bed and first thing in the morning. Our dog doesn't need to go more than that. I think it would be difficult to train most adult housebroken dogs to relieve themselves on a boat on a mat or something when it's ingrained in them to only go outside on land (puppy would be different). Mine would hold it until physically not possible.

Personally, our dog (labrador retriever) is very uncomfortable on the boat and we don't take her with us. Tried it once and between the motion of the boat and the awkward footing, she was very high anxiety and could not settle. We are lucky to have a great neighbor who loves dogs and will keep her when we head out for overnights.
Old 06-06-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I have always taken my dogs ashore. They are very good on even long trips until I slow up and start getting the anchor out and then they start looking at me like LETS GO GOTTA PEE.

BTW - one of my dogs got seasick on her first trip. She tried sleeping in the V-berth on a rough beat and it did her in. I taught her to come on deck and look out at the horizon and never a problem since then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 06-06-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Each of my dogs have always use/used 'Astro Turf' mounted on the foredeck, with occasional potty-visits to shore for exercise.
Amazon.com : Potty Patch - As Seen on TV, Small, Color:Green : Pet Housebreaking Potties : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Potty Patch - As Seen on TV, Small, Color:Green : Pet Housebreaking Potties : Pet Supplies

The 'poop' goes into the holding tank, the 'pee' gets washed overboard by the deckwash pump.

Training is easy; but, its 'best' if you have already trained your dog to 'pee on command' - lot of info on the internet of how to do such training. Do websearch: "pee on command" + dog.
If the dog is already trained to 'pee on command', will ultimately & intuitively know what the astro turf means and will use it. Lavish praise and rewards will reinforce the conditioning of 'potty patch' usage. All my dogs will use the potty patch even during 'rough' conditions (dog needs to be restrained during those times by a leash/harness and lifeline-netting so the dog doesnt go overboard). We long distance cruise for 8-9 months at a time.

Last edited by RichH; 06-06-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-06-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

I wonder if anyone has ever tried buying a square of sod and stapling it to a welcome mat (using sod staples). Would probably require a lot of water and wouldn't last long, but the pooch sure does love the smell of real grass.
Old 06-06-2014

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

In my experience if you are anchoring every night, it is usually easy enough like has been said just to row to shore, I have never long distance cruised with the dogs, they only get to do weekend trips. If you want to train the dog to go on the boat the above suggestion of astro turf on the bow seems to be what everyone does. Things I have seen to make this easier:
1. Get the dog to pee on it before putting it on the boat, if they have a spot where they usually go you could even just rub it on there right after. You are just getting the scent on there so the recognize that as a spot to use.
2. Put an eyelet or something in the piece of astro turf, and tie a line on it. After it is used just drag it behind the boat for a couple minutes to clean it off, and like RichH said foredeck washdown gets the pee off, unless you are like me then a dollar store bucket with a rope attached dipped in the water does.
Old 06-06-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Here is what NOT to do:
Boat shows up at marina. Dog gets off unsupervised and lays a HUGE steamer on the dock. Owners eventually see this and aim a hose at it to send it over the side. They did not notice the runabout on the other side of the dock that the poop was sent into
Airport version: While giving kids a tour of the airport and a free plane ride, a helicopter lands. First out of the helo is a Golden Retriever with a digestion problem. He get about 50 feet before letting loose with a huge amount of loose "stuff"
Said "stuff" is directly in front of a nice V-tail Bonanze that is loaded up ready to go and the pilot did not see this happen. As he hits the starter button he suddenly sees about 10 kids and me running at him screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We almost had a large amount of "stuff" hit a 300 HP fan

Last edited by Coquina; 06-06-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Pretty well all the dog-owning sailors we know who bring the dog along do the shore thing twice a day, and most dogs seem OK with that. In fact, they seem to get into the routine to the point that they can't or won't perform 'off schedule'.. like getting up at 4 am to catch slack at some rapids, even taken ashore it's 'sorry, boss, but it's not time!"

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-06-2014
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

We've had our adult mini-Aussie on the boat for 6 years now….have yet to get her to do anything on the boat. She does her business on command, but on the boat she gives us that "are you out of your freakin' mind" look when told to "go pee".

The canine pirate

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 06-06-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Said "stuff" is directly in front of a nice V-tail Bonanze that is loaded up ready to go and the pilot did not see this happen. As he hits the starter button he suddenly sees about 10 kids and me running at him screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We almost had a large amount of "stuff" hit a 300 HP fan
I almost had a human run into our prop as we started off, some girl darted out of an airplane that just arrived and ran inside, paying no attention to where she was going (she was an adult). If my copilot hadn't noticed her, she would have been hit by the prop. The way we were on the ramp, I wouldn't have seen her until she was right in front of me (too late).