Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014

Location: Boat is in a slip at Kentucky Lake; we live in Clarksville, TN
SunnnyD is on a distinguished road
Question Sailing in the Northeast; need some advice!

I just found out that I may be moving in the fall to Princeton, NJ for work. We own a 22' swing keel, trailerable sailboat (Laguna Windrose) and we have been sailing for the past several years on a large lake in KY where we keep it in a marina all year. Although I am happy to move this fall, I am trying to figure out what to do with the boat; i.e. do we keep it in a marina, and of so, where? Is Raritan/Sandy Hook going to have the kind of sailing that I can handle in my little light cruiser, or do I need to trek down to the Chesepeake (or elsewhere)? Money is obviously a consideration as is distance... I would love some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2014

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing in the Northeast; need some advice!

Close to Princeton NJ would be the Delaware River, next would be Barnegat Bay NJ, then the Chesapeake.

On the Delaware; Bristol PA , Neshaminy State Park in Croyden PA both near the Burlington/Bristol Bridge or Riverside NJ near the Tacony/Palmyra Bridge are about 30 mins from Princeton in non-rush hour traffic.

Barnegat Bay is about 1 1/2hr drive

The Upper Chesapeake is more than 2 hours drive.

My boat is at a marina near Philadelphia International Airport on the Delaware about 1 hour to Princeton, but if you have to drive to the boat, Barnegat Bay would only be a slightly longer drive and better sailing. My boat is 20 mins from my house outside rush hour.

I would suggest on the Delaware at Bristol, Nesahaminy or Riverside for the 1st year while you investigate possible marinas on Barnegat Bay or the Chesapeake.
Old 06-07-2014

justified is on a distinguished road

Sunnndy
I am up on Long Island sound , but have sailed threw that area several times. You should be fine with your boat there. Raritan/Sandy Hook bay is very large and a nice sailing area. you can check on active captain for marinas ans launch ramps close by. unfortunately our season is only April to November, unless we get a hurricane and then it might be shorter. You are very close to NY harbor, there's nothing like sailing by the statue of liberty on a beautiful day. I get chills and excited just thinking about it. Also you are only a days sail from Atlantic city. with good weather it would be an easy trip.
So put it on your hitch and welcome to the East coast..
Old 06-07-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I would trailer the boat into Princeton and park it someplace convenient, even if that means renting a spot from a storage place.

Then take some time to drive out to places, let's say within an hour or 90 minutes of your home, check them out and see what looks like it will make you happy. Raritan Bay, Sandy Hook, plenty of places where that boat will be just fine as long as you keep to good weather. Figure to spend chunks of three or four days checking them out (locations and facilities, clubs, etc.) and take a look at the charts to see what the waters are like too.

You'll have plenty of choices!
Old 06-07-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Closest sailing venue to Princeton would be Round Valley Reservoir near Clinton NJ. Department of Environmental Protection No marinas

Next closest is Lake Hopatcong in Sussex County. Its about 4sq. miles of water.
Several Marinas.

Then ... Lake Nockamixon near Quakertown Pa.
State run marina with LONG waiting list.

then .... all the venues as listed by other posters

With a swing keel, the back bays to the NJ barrier islands (Barnegat Bay, Great Bay, Manahawkin Bay) would be ideal - the 'con' would the strong summertime afternoon/evening 'sea breezes' if you dont have 'adequate' reefing.

Last edited by RichH; 06-07-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

I crew on a race boat on the Delaware River (near Burlington, NJ) and have my own boat on Barnegat Bay. Sailing on the Delaware satisfies my jones, but it's not ideal. Most of it is pretty narrow, it's tidal so you need to pay close attention to the switching current, the wind is often nonexistent, and there's active shipping to contend with on most of it (which does get more occasional as you go north).

Barnegat is more open (at least between Toms River and Waretown) and there are more places to explore. There's no shipping, but it can be busy on the weekends with tons of pleasureboats, and it's pretty shallow. The best thing about Barnegat for me is the wind. I'd almost always rather be reefed down and sailing at hull speed than bobbing aimlessly or running the motor in 0-2kts. I don't know Raritan Bay or the reservoirs that well, but I've sailed a Catalina 22 on Barnegat for the last 5 years and it's been a lot of fun.
Old 06-07-2014

Location: Boat is in a slip at Kentucky Lake; we live in Clarksville, TN
SunnnyD is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Sailing in the Northeast; need some advice!

Wow, thanks for all of the great advice and the quick responses! I hadn't even looked at the Barnegat area but that opens up a whole new venue to check out for sure... I suppose that since we are not moving until the fall that we will have plenty of time to explore while the boat is on the hard somewhere.
Old 06-07-2014
Me at 61! (Studio Shot)

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Einstein sailed on Carnegie Lake... ck out the local first! I don't know if can you actually can sail on it publicly but there is a public access. I canoed it with my wooden canoe club a few years ago.
https://www.princeton.edu/~sailing/P.../Regattas.html

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-07-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I sailed a Catalina 22 on Barnegat for several years. It's a perfect boat for that bay. depending upon where you are in Princeton, and when you leave you can be there in an hour or less. Just Shoot down Rt. 571 and the back roads. Tides and currents are minimal. The most wide open sailing is between the Rt 37 bridge and the Forked River. The Metedeconk river area, near Point pleasant isn't bad especially on a weekday.
Point pleasant beach and the boardwalk are close (via car) and one of the more popular spots at the shore.

Raritan bay is very manageable in good weather, there are ample ramps for launching. I'd guess that the majority of sailboats are on moorings and the marinas are more pricey, but there are slips available. Tides typically run around 4' to 5'.

I would explore Barnegat. I think you'll like it there.
SunnnyD likes this.
Old 06-08-2014

Ward H is on a distinguished road

Ditto to the BB. Last year I lost more days to strong winds than to windless days. Good thing about the sea breeze is if it is blowing strong, it will normally calm down a bit before sunset.
We considered the river and local lakes but chose to drive the 1hr 20mins to get to the bay.

Tags
bays , marinas , new jersey , new york , trailerable

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.