Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tow or hire a truck?

Go to a local yacht club and borrow or rent a trailer for the weekend and just tow it home. If you need more towing capacity rent a U-haul truck fir a couple hundred bucks and be done with it.

I used to tow my Olson 30 around all the time without any issues (I have a 9500lbs towing capacity). Other than being a pain in crosswinds it wasn't that bad.

While you are borrowing the trailer ask around for any of the local college age sailing jocks and pay them $100 to come with you for the day and help you get it all rigged well.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 06-08-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Will be longer than a day trip. 750 miles. And hopefully no return trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Go to a local yacht club and borrow or rent a trailer for the weekend and just tow it home. If you need more towing capacity rent a U-haul truck fir a couple hundred bucks and be done with it.

I used to tow my Olson 30 around all the time without any issues (I have a 9500lbs towing capacity). Other than being a pain in crosswinds it wasn't that bad.

While you are borrowing the trailer ask around for any of the local college age sailing jocks and pay them $100 to come with you for the day and help you get it all rigged well.
This! That is what I would do. Rent a heavy duty truck and find a trailer. I have a trailer shop that is right now welding mods to a trailer for way cheap. But, they are a boat/trailer maker so they know how to do it right.
Old 06-08-2014
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Yes it can be done....

This is how I brought my boat home from Washington DC to Wisconsin 800 miles

Flat bed equipment trailer and well constructed wooden bunk...I have some skills, tools and a plan...( I made the plan part up)...this was temporary and cost very little...

This is the trailer I purpose built to dry slip my boat at the marina...( and take it home in the winter) Welded Steel, bunks and electric brakes...
(Less than a boat buck to build)

6500# boat, 1000# Trailer, 7800# towing capacity on truck (I was probably a little over with the flatbed)

Last edited by Squidd; 06-08-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

On a boat your size it might be cheaper and easier to sell it in WA and buy a new one in CA. It sucks to invest time into working on a boat then flip it, but you are probably looking at $3000 minimum to move it (including yard time at both ends).
jephotog likes this.
Old 06-08-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I know, Alex, I know. I can't this time. If I can't go to California, I promised myself I would keep the boat. I put work into the Ranger and was sad to see it go. Now, you know I wanted something a bit bigger, so it worked out well, but still. I need to keep a boat and love it and learn it. I'm sticking with this one. If I don't make it to CA, which I will! but if I don't....still keeping the boat.

It's the yard time I'll have to find out about. What all is involved? Is it mostly stuff I can do? Drop the mast, remove engine, secure mast and boom. Pay for haul out, truck. Or is it more involved than I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 06-08-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2014
Superior Sailor

Different yards will vary in price, but I paid $280 to have the boat lifted into the cradle and have the keel stepped mast pulled and laid on top...Ft Washington, Md...figure close to the same to get it put back together.

I pulled all the rigging prior to them lifting the boat, I removed the OB motor and put in truck along with rudder (now I leave the rudder on)... I secured the mast to boat and boat to trailer...all things you can do yourself...

I own the trailer, straps binders and chain, but you could probably rent ...Cost me gas to get home, I slept in the boat at a wayside on the way back.
Old 06-08-2014
Superior Sailor

I bought the boat on E-Bay for $760.... I probably should have looked at where it was located before I confirmed the bid...

But I got the boat home, fixed up and I love it....wouldn't give it up for anything right now...

Just took it this weekend 120 miles to the Apostle Islands for the summer...third year now...costs $100 to get the mast stepped, I rig and rag and get it ready to launch at the ramp...
Old 06-08-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It's the yard time I'll have to find out about. What all is involved? Is it mostly stuff I can do? Drop the mast, remove engine, secure mast and boom. Pay for haul out, truck. Or is it more involved than I think.
The major costs are using the Travel Lift to haul the boat out and a crane to drop the mast. If your mast is designed to be lowered using equipment on the boat then you can probably save a couple hundred on either end. You might also be able to get time on a dinghy/dry-sailed boat crane to remove the mast yourself (it depends on the policy for using that crane at marinas you would be near).

I think you'll save a lot of money by doing the other big parts yourself. Preparing standing rigging, removing sails and boom, engine, etc.

You'll probably be paying either the yard or the truck for time as soon as the boat is hauled out until it is on it's way, and the same at the other end.

I do understand wanting to invest in and keep a boat. I just brought it up because I think you haven't sailed this one yet and so you might not have bonded with it yet.

Last edited by Alex W; 06-08-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2014

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
On a boat your size it might be cheaper and easier to sell it in WA and buy a new one in CA. It sucks to invest time into working on a boat then flip it, but you are probably looking at $3000 minimum to move it (including yard time at both ends).
Exactly what I was thinking, even started shopping for you.

Latitude 38 - Classy Classifieds Categories

Lots of good deals in the bay area.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.