Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Anyone tow or hire a truck?

I'm going from somewhere in Washington to San Francisco. I'm learning that it may be harder than I will be ready for in August. I'm going to start exploring my options, so I'm not caught off guard. I also like to have a backup plan.

So there are two possibilities, I tow, or hire someone to tow. I have a 5400 pound boat, probably with gear 6000. 4 foot draft fixed keel, 8 foot beam.

If I hired a truck, I could meet them in Olympia Washington. That's about 700 miles to SF. Has anyone hired a truck? Is it a hard process? Was it expensive? I can't even begin to guess the costs. $2000 plus haulout and in?

I also have an SUV. I have to find out my engine's specific gear ration, but it is rated to tow somewhere between 6900-7900 pounds. I read there are 3 gear setups for this engine. I have no trailer. Does one buy or rent?

Any info will help me get things ready and make an informed decision come September. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2014

grampianvoyager is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tow or hire a truck?

Sign up for uship.com put your start and finish in and see what the quote is. Doesn't cost you nothing unless you accept the offer. I did this for a boat I was thinking of buying and it went from $550 down to $350 but I didn't buy it. I did find a boat on CL and the same thing $500 to $300. I had no problems. I am sure there are horror stories, I just don't have one.
Old 06-08-2014

grampianvoyager is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention I only looked for trailer boats. You didn't say weather you had a trailer.
Old 06-08-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

on the truck....you can count on at least $1.50 or more, per mile round trip. Then you have load and unload fees and wait time. IF the yard can roll over the truck bed and lift, else a crane or some way to off load the boat. Permits and travel fees as well.

Your SUV might be up to the task, but you too, will have fuel costs and such. same deal for getting the boat on and off the trailer/cradle/etc. You would have to find a trailer. I have never been keen on renting a trailer, unless you know it is in tip top shape and that it will fit your boat exactly. You can burn up a lot of time fitting an unknown trailer to your boat, and if you don't do it correctly, you can damage the boat, or trailer, or both.

Uship it might be an option, I would not use them, as they have not shown up at critical times when I contracted with them to move a household, and even worse taken weeks to do something that should have been days. If you use them, do your homework...there is a reason they are bottom dollar cheap.
Old 06-08-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

If your SUV can truly haul 6900, to 7900lbs it must be one helluva SUV (Tahoe, Suburban sized)...

figure #7000, if your empty boat is #6000, probably MORE... A trailer rated to well over #6000 would work if you were going to tow it yourself. Surge brakes for sure, or better e-brakes.

I personally wouldn't want to tow #7000 or more with an SUV. I'd rather have a F250/2500 sized truck (longbed, extended/crew cab preferred for wheelbase). It's doable yourself, but a lot of rental trucks are OK to tow that much, but some won't allow you to, it's a question for the rental place.

The big deals towing are de-masting (as opposed to dis-masting)... and securing the boat well (straps, lashings, etc). A lot of people make the mistake of leaving outboards on the boats (that's a lot of stress on the transom for a boat if you have one).

Again I am just addressing the tow yourself option.

The 4 foot draft, isn't a real problem, but the height above water is added to that, then the height of the trailer. My lowly 25 foot low freeboard Capri 25, is 11'2" high on the trailer, with the mast basically ON the deck. So if you have a normal freeboard, cruiser, with near standing room below, you are probably well up to 13'+ which is nearly "overheight." on a trailer. Just saying, you best factor that into your equation. YES YOU can tow oversized, but do you have the experience? Permits are usually PER state, and restrict you as to when you can tow, run between $30 and $100 per state.

I tow #16,000 with my pickup on a regular basis... I pushed my standard class license with the rig, and have to upgrade to get a RV class license now.

My boat though is only #5500 on the trailer, but is 9'2" wide.

I am not sure how you get that heavy a boat, that's only 8' wide, but OK.

and my rig, I've since upgraded the 2500 pickup to a 3500 dually (for the horse trailer)

Last edited by SHNOOL; 06-08-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2014

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

My Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD extended cab short box 4x4 6 litre with a 4:10 gear is capable of towing 10400lbs. I have towed about 8000+lbs. with it but I would not do that for a long period of time. It's a handful and the tranny temps are high.
You say your boat is about 6000lbs plus a trailer that will weigh about 2000lbs, you are at 8000lbs minimum.
You haven't mentioned what type of SUV you have but it would have to be a pretty good rig in good shape to do that trip.
Personally I would rent a truck for this trip.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 06-08-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

NOB, Know of any buddies with a bigger truck? To me, it sounds like you might be able to tow with what you have but if you did that, you may have to take it easy and not rush it, just to ease your concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
I am not sure how you get that heavy a boat, that's only 8' wide, but OK.
Anything is possible. My boat is listed at 8100 stock for 27' long, 4' draft and 8' beam. That's before the trailer or gear is considered.

I haven't towed my boat much but I have a Silverado 2500HD 4x4 w/diesel that's rated at around 13,000.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 06-08-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

for a one time shot just pay to have a hauler move it

Unless you have a long term use for the trailer it will jsut cost way to much money

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-08-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Ford expedition. It's got a "tow package" so like transmission fan and stuff. I figure it would be cheaper just to have someone take it.

If I get some quotes, how much do the other costs usually add up to? The loading, unloading, etc...

Old 06-08-2014
Able & willing to learn

TC2014 is on a distinguished road

Have you considered having her cruised down to CA? There are Capt. out there that will water transport boats. Mike does it and he has been boat transporting for some time. He is out of OR. his number is one five zero three three one zero seven five nine zero. I was a crew member for him.