Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014

andyselzn is on a distinguished road
Boats like S&S 34

What boats come closest to the S&S 34? Speed, comfort, and ability to handle rough seas are the most important. I looked at the Sail Calculator but find that it is insufficient. I picked the S&S 34 for discussion because it seems to have a track record with several circumanvigators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Boats like S&S 34

islander 36
le comte 35
yankee 38(think stern pinch)
contessa 32

just to name a few

whats did you find was insufficient on sail calculator?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2014

Thanks Christian. The other day I saw a Cal 2-30. I ran it through the Sail Calculator. Seemed good. As I looked further I found it had a Fin Keel and Skeg Rudder (if I remember right). So it was not the right boat even though the speed, capsize factor, and comfort factors seemed as good as the S&S 34. So, I wanted first hand knowledge. I surfed the web some and the Olson 34 came up as a comparable boat.
Old 06-13-2014

Just ran the specs. The Contessa 32 is so very close as far as the calculator goes. I wonder how they are different.
Old 06-13-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Anyone who thinks the Olson 34 and the S&S 34 are similar because they pop out similar numbers needs to stop thinking that the numbers capture the boat.

(In this particular case, needs to also learn to look at more numbers).

BTW the capsize screening and the motion comfort numbers are ... very questionable approximations. JeffH has written some good pieces on why.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-13-2014

Makes sense. At first the Calculator seemed like a great way to learn about boats but I suppose one grows out of it as one goes along.

What is the fastest heavy weather boat under 40 feet? Handling conditions (think capsize) and speed are the main two criteria.
Old 06-13-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Heh. Yeah.

You can go read bluewaterboats.org. Most of the boats there tend to be heavy displacement traditional/conservative designs with a long keel or moderate fin + skeg rudder. That would fit with Coles' book Heavy Weather Sailing, where Olin Stephens basically calls for moderate design and heavy construction.

There are others who swear by newer and much lighter designs, of course with lots of debate about which boats really merit trust. A high-aspect-ratio fin with a bulb can provide an impressive righting moment - on the other hand, a Farr-designed First 40.7 called Cheeki Rafiki just lost its keel and its crew in a nasty N. Atlantic storm. Lots of racers on Olsons would take them anywhere. Go read Paulo (PCP)'s Interesting Sailboats thread. The Europeans, especially the French have been very into this stuff - Pogo.

Yet another interesting French approach is the shallow-draft centerboard boats, which Alubat/Ovni has been doing for years. I just read about a guy who took a new Boreal 44 into some very nasty stuff and loves it. Aluminum boats with all-welded deck fittings = no leaks. They are relatively fast, he was posting 200+ mile days with slowing down at night, though not like a Pogo can do running full-out.

Again, JeffH has written some excellent posts about these questions. Google is your friend.
andyselzn likes this.
Old 06-13-2014

Ilenart is on a distinguished road

My yacht, a UFO 34 is very similar to a S&S 34 and here in Perth they used to race in the same fleet. However on Sail Calculator the numbers look pretty different. The two diagrams below show the similarities.

When I was looking for my yacht, three boats that were very similar were the S&S 34, UFO 34 and Van De Stadt 34. Biggest issue with the S&S 34 was the lack of room midship around the galley. The UFO 34 was better (mainly as they are about a foot wider) and the Van De Stadt had the most room.

Ilenart
andyselzn likes this.

Last edited by Ilenart; 06-13-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselzn View Post
Thanks Christian. The other day I saw a Cal 2-30. I ran it through the Sail Calculator. Seemed good. As I looked further I found it had a Fin Keel and Skeg Rudder (if I remember right). So it was not the right boat even though the speed, capsize factor, and comfort factors seemed as good as the S&S 34. So, I wanted first hand knowledge. I surfed the web some and the Olson 34 came up as a comparable boat.

Im very confused about this sail calculator thing

the s and s 34 is a fin and skeg...so is a yankee 38, a yankee 30, the contessa 32...

Im giving you boats that have VERY similar underwater designs, displacement, and ballast to displacement ratio, sail design too, to some extent...

the thing with numbers is it can bite you in the ass if you dont know what you are lloking for

for example an olson 34 has nothing remotely similar or in common to a s and s 34, however a contessa 32 looks and feels very similar to it...

other boats as well like some I posted
andyselzn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselzn View Post
Just ran the specs. The Contessa 32 is so very close as far as the calculator goes. I wonder how they are different.
its 2 feet shorter! jajaja duh

sail desigin is similar, fin and rudder design as well as the iorish stern...probably as close as you are going to get

however you can look at the yankee 38 for ior inspiration...designed again by sparkman and stepehens...

the 34 has many attributes found on this boat(except the extreme squirelliness off the wind that made the yankee 38 famous...catalina bought the plans and changed the rudder design as well as keel shape for the later catalina 38 boats)

however the catalina 38 was buily lighter and "crappier" and wasnt as stout...but it became an awesome racer...also yankee corp was know to build extremely high quality boats and they preffered to quit making boats in the oil crisis rather than keep going half assedly.

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-13-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.