Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014

dmoltz is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it a crazy thought?

Not attempting a single handed trip, I have a low experienced hand and have posted looking for an experienced hand (will cover expenses). I have reviewed all the bridges, the only close one will be in the Cape May canal and the previous owner told me he's been through with the boat twice, I will cross at low tide and wait to be sure there are no boat wakes. I have read a number of trip blogs and I know the longest of pushes will be the NJ coast. A friend has helped me load "marine weather" , "My Radar", I am using "Navionics" and like the current, tide and wind forecasting.
My schedule is fairly open, I am looking at a possible departure of around June 23rd and I am opening up 2 weeks of travel time, if I get somewhere and have to return I will park the boat and return later.
Safety equipment is aboard, I plan to harness in most of the time and always for any after dark hours. I am new to Radar but practicing with it during fair weather to get a good feel of how it looks when I can see. VHF is new but in my line of work I use UHF radios all the time, comfortable with basic communications.
Prop walk is to starboard in reverse, so your saying if I load up the Port water tank a bit, what is the effect? Was not aware of a forward walk but always learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Not crazy at all.

I would say first take it out for one or two long daysails, to really shake it down. Think about an EPIRB at least and a float plan, in case you get in trouble. Life rafts are expensive but renting one for the trip might make sense, or at least have a dink that you can step up into.

The NJ coast in particular can be deceptive. Most of the inlets will be impassible if the wind and current are wrong, and in bad wx that happens regularly. Because the bottom is shallow for quite a ways off, long stretches are also very rough compared to standing off in deeper water. So, look for a weather window and assume you will not be able to duck into any inlet for shelter unless your timing is right.

Stay awake, look out for traffic (which is not always using their radar or keeping watch) and if you're aiming for the Ambrose Light, don't hit it. Every once in a while someone does.

Making landfall in the Big Apple is easy, day or night.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
dmoltz (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014

Sorry to keep asking for more info but I have read Eldridge and found some info on the C&D, read through the costal pilots on the route. I do not find a lot about small boat traffic other than be cautious in the canal for large shipping wake and a comment about hugging the west side of the narrows in New York harbor. Of course all the good info on tides and markers. Am I missing any other resource I should be reading? I have been combing the charts as well reading the notes and looking for any obstacles in my charted route.

Thanks all for the valuable info you have given already.
Old 06-12-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

dmoltz,

In my experience in the C&D, if you keep an eye out for the big ships, hug the side of the channel when they need to pass, you should be OK. I've also had luck hailing them to let them know I was down there. There might be a lot of small boat traffic going in and out of Chesapeake City depending on the time you go by.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-12-2014

The PO was going to make the trip but had to bail at the last minute, sailed with him last weekend, a great resource.
Old 06-12-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Here's another thread with some good C&D tips:

C&D Canal

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-12-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoltz View Post
So just closed on a Morgan 382, spent last weekend with the previous owner on shakedown. Know most of the systems below and have been a mechanic in my younger days so the diesel was easy. The survey went well, some minor needs in the future but nothing of concern. She is in Rock Hall, Md and I want to sail or motor sail up through NYC to the Hudson final destination of Point Bay Marina in Lake Champlain. I have done the locks in a power boat previously and talked to the marina that will step the mast.
I have done the 101, sailed a day with a private instructor in San Francisco and less than 20 hours logged in the last few years. In the past owned a Star, a 12' cat and spent hundreds of hours having fun on the water. I have bought all the charts and Pilot guides and plotted the route. Radar works well and I will add a new char tplotter before departure. I have purchased extra fuel filters, belts and clamps, have extra oil and water pump impellers. The Perkins 108 has less than 1700 hrs on it.
I am attempting to find a seasoned sailor to make the trip up with me as far as NYC then I feel I can handle it on up. Am I crazy to try this, should I just have it shipped?
If you feel confident in handling the mast yourself, Castleton Boat Club, just below Albany, has a big DIY gin pole you can rent and save some money. They are a great bunch of guys there and there's usually people to give you a hand. Make sure you carefully plan for current. I've done the trip many times and if you need info. just pm me.
Old 06-12-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"hugging the west side of the narrows in New York harbor. "
That's a new one on me. It would have you heading against traffic that is coming out of the harbor, if you were inbound. Nuh-uh. The only special thing you would do in NY harbor, is what you would do anytime there is big heavy and fast traffic all mixed into a limited place: stay alert and follow the usual rules of the road.
Ignore the high speed commuter ferry catamarans that think they own the road, they don't. Batch of jamokes from the mainland.
The orange-and-navy Staten Island Ferries *do* own the harbor, because they are constrained by draft and often in shallower water than you might think. In fact, anything that is a ship, as opposed to a boat, probably is constrained by draft. NY is actually a fairly shallow harbor by modern standards.
Old 06-13-2014

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

"hugging the west side of the narrows in New York harbor. "

Only thing comes to mind with above advice...in fog, limited visibility,
one might be suggesting you stay out of the shipping channels and in shallow
water away from the big boys and "most" traffic...but you can also stay in shallows
on the east side or even in between the shipping lanes.
Another point comes to mind, everyone and there brother is making way
for the same popular light, buoy...I try to offset way point by a reasonable distance
especially in a busy harbor.
Old 06-13-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Can't give advice for your trip--sounds fun and I'm sure you'll be just fine--but a big Congrats on the purchase and welcome (soon) to your new cruising grounds on Lake Champlain. My boat was in Charlotte when I bought it (the Sailing Center, not Point Bay), and we've been on a mooring in South Hero for the last 3 summers. If you're ever looking for advice on cruising the Lake, especially the northern half--anchorages, marinas, whatever--feel free to send me a message. Be sure to make it up to the Inland Sea some day, easily one of the least crowded and most beautiful parts of the lake.

The Following User Says Thank You to caberg For This Useful Post:
dmoltz (06-13-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.