Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014

dmoltz is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it a crazy thought?

Rented a place on Grand Isle one summer not too far back, it was just north of the North Hero Marina. Had a 20' power boat at the time, we explored all over and loved it. I will be headed back up at some point I am sure. My wife thought I was crazy when we passed under route 2, the boat did not draft much. Very nice area.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I think it will be a great learning experience and you should do it. No amount of ASA classes could be more helpful in giving you confidence and improve all your boating skills. Pick your weather and sailing partners with care and have enough time to do it comfortably, either in one trip or several. Join Towboat US or Sea Tow with unlimited towing for peace of mind.
Have fun and enjoy the challenge.
Old 06-14-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoltz View Post
Rented a place on Grand Isle one summer not too far back, it was just north of the North Hero Marina. Had a 20' power boat at the time, we explored all over and loved it. I will be headed back up at some point I am sure. My wife thought I was crazy when we passed under route 2, the boat did not draft much. Very nice area.
That must have been under the causeway between the main land and South Hero. There's a drawbridge further north for your new ride. Burton Island has first come first serve moorings and is a great destination.
Old 06-14-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The whole area around Ambrose is charted with channels for the big ships. It's not necessary to stay in those channels with the big guys. Going north, I usually anchor up at Atlantic Highlands. There's room to anchor behind the riprap outside the mooring field or out in Horseshoe Cove if weather is good. It's a good place from which to time the trip up the Hudson. There's also a nice anchorage right behind the Statue of Liberty but it's small and has a somewhat narrow entrance. In a pinch you can anchor at the 47? St Boat Basin on the east side of the river to wait for current. Check Eldridge for currents at The Battery and look at the graphic to time the trip up The Hudson. You don't want to get that wrong.
Old 06-14-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

When are you doing this? If you have time, take your time. Lots of stuff to do and see along the way. There area a couple of threads about where to anchor along the Hudson. If you stop in Beacon, I will try to be available to delver a few beers! I really like the Morgan 380 beautiful boat. If it was not an insane time at work I would volunteer for part of the trip at least.
dmoltz likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
dmoltz (06-14-2014)
Old 06-14-2014

I have a fair amount of time, will be starting on the 30th of June as it stands now. I now have me and 2 others on the trip as far as NYC, there I will be joined by my son for the trip up the Hudson. A lot depend on the weather as to when we will be in NYC. If all goes as planned I will post progress and see if we can connect for those beers. I am guessing by this point in the trip I will need a few, but only when tied up of course....
Old 06-28-2014

Well the time has come, I've been at Rock Hall getting ready, my crew fly in early Monday and hope to get off little after noon. Should be fun and a good experience. Had some minor fixes to do as well as installing a few new items.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it a crazy thought?-image.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

It looks like you'll have favorable weather.

When you get 20 miles north of the Manhattan you should be alert to construction on the Tappan Zee. This project has 120 barges and 35 tugs and crew shuttles working in the area of the bridge. In addition, an enhanced marine law enforcement presence on the Hudson River will enforce the rules of the Regulated Navigational Area (RNA), reminding recreational boaters to stay away from construction equipment. For more information see New NY Bridge boater safety information website and the U.S. Coast Guard Notice to Mariners.

Tappan Zee Constructors, LLC (TZC) will continue work on the New NY Bridge from Monday, June 30 through Thursday, July 3. In observance of the Fourth of July, construction crews will not be working over the holiday weekend. TZC will continue to monitor and maintain the safety and security of the project site from Friday to Sunday.

Mariners should be aware that TZC will continue installing permanent piles in the vicinity of the side channels under the existing bridge. Additional temporary navigational lights have been installed to further define the 600-foot navigation channel under the main span. Both temporary and permanent piles are illuminated at night. Because the lighting on the piles and barges is blindingly bright, I would suggest not transiting this area at night.

If you're still south of Peekskill on Friday you should enjoy fireworks displays all along the river
Old 06-29-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Going up the Hudson, I usually anchor first night in Haverstraw Bay, second night behind Esopus Island just north of the Poughkeepsie YC moorings, third night at moorings or at dock to unstep mast at Castleton Boat Club, fourth night in Champlain Canal as far as I can get that day, fifth day out of Whitehall Lock and into Lake Champlain. Going up the river you get a lot of hours with favorable current. Again, you need to time the current or be very unhappy.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.