Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014

dmoltz is on a distinguished road
Is it a crazy thought?

So just closed on a Morgan 382, spent last weekend with the previous owner on shakedown. Know most of the systems below and have been a mechanic in my younger days so the diesel was easy. The survey went well, some minor needs in the future but nothing of concern. She is in Rock Hall, Md and I want to sail or motor sail up through NYC to the Hudson final destination of Point Bay Marina in Lake Champlain. I have done the locks in a power boat previously and talked to the marina that will step the mast.
I have done the 101, sailed a day with a private instructor in San Francisco and less than 20 hours logged in the last few years. In the past owned a Star, a 12' cat and spent hundreds of hours having fun on the water. I have bought all the charts and Pilot guides and plotted the route. Radar works well and I will add a new char tplotter before departure. I have purchased extra fuel filters, belts and clamps, have extra oil and water pump impellers. The Perkins 108 has less than 1700 hrs on it.
I am attempting to find a seasoned sailor to make the trip up with me as far as NYC then I feel I can handle it on up. Am I crazy to try this, should I just have it shipped?
Attached Thumbnails
Is it a crazy thought?-img_2487.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it a crazy thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoltz View Post
... Am I crazy to try this, ...
No. Be aware of your own limitations, the weather, the boat's needs and plan accordingly.

Try very, very hard not to have a schedule.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
dmoltz (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

You might also look for some one to "buddy" up with. Someone that's going that way, and is willing to keep pace with one and other.

I did that a few years ago with a new owner who had little to no experience, which gave him the security of having someone nearby, while he learned his new boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-12-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

First of all, CONGRATS on the new boat! As for your trip... YOU have to be honest with yourself. Sounds like alot of ground to cover and lots to be concerned with. Are there any bridges on the trip? If you are confident with your skills and knowledge of what your attempting and the equipment is ready, you don't need our approval. If you had said "I've never owned a boat"... that would be a different story. Again, is the equipment ready? Safety gear, radio, electronics? Do you know how to use everything (proficiently)?

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 06-12-2014

algee is on a distinguished road

Nice boat and it sounds like a great trip, but I am confused, are you talking about single handing from NYC to Lake Champlain? That is over 300 miles and the mast will have to be unstepped and restepped, 12 locks to go through, and steering all the way, and plenty of navigation. Probably at least 5 or 6 days.

If it were me I would want at least one extra hand on a trip like this.

Last edited by algee; 06-12-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

If you are contemplating single handing, your biggest challenge IMHO will be close quarters handling and tying up to docks and locks. I'd bring someone with me that's agile and can follow orders for line handling/fenders, etc. Agility more important than experience.

The ocean/navigating part of this trip should be pretty straight forward, although the NJ coast doesn't have a lot of all weather harbor entrances. I've only sailed by the whole thing without stopping, I'm sure other sail netters have better advice on this. Be ultra conservative with the weather, particularly with a boat that's new to you. I'm assuming they taught you basic navigation, and things like big ships don't have brakes, etc. Lot's of ship traffic where you are headed.

It's very helpful that you are comfortable with the machinery.

Good luck w the new to you boat!
Old 06-12-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

What is your timeframe?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-12-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Is it a crazy thought?

Not crazy. The challenge will be the NJ coast but there are bailout points. An extra hand would be helpful and more fun. It's an easy trip but tedious at times.

Offer to take the PO. He may love it and you'll get a great indoctrination. On our last boat, I did a similar trip with the PO from Worton Creek to Phila. Just an idea.
Old 06-12-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoltz View Post
So just closed on a Morgan 382, spent last weekend with the previous owner on shakedown. Know most of the systems below and have been a mechanic in my younger days so the diesel was easy. The survey went well, some minor needs in the future but nothing of concern. She is in Rock Hall, Md and I want to sail or motor sail up through NYC to the Hudson final destination of Point Bay Marina in Lake Champlain. I have done the locks in a power boat previously and talked to the marina that will step the mast.
I have done the 101, sailed a day with a private instructor in San Francisco and less than 20 hours logged in the last few years. In the past owned a Star, a 12' cat and spent hundreds of hours having fun on the water. I have bought
all the charts and Pilot guides and plotted the route. Radar works well and I will add a new char tplotter before departure. I have purchased extra fuel filters, belts and clamps, have extra oil and water pump impellers. The Perkins 108 has less than 1700 hrs on it.
I am attempting to find a seasoned sailor to make the trip up with me as far as NYC then I feel I can handle it on up. Am I crazy to try this, should I just have it shipped?
Hell, having it shipped is what would be "Crazy"... :-)

Sounds to me like your approach is appropriately cautious and sensible. The only potentially risky segment of the trip is the NJ coast, that's where you really need to exercise a bit of caution, and perhaps wait a bit for good, settled weather. Even with good radar, you want to make every effort to avoid encountering fog, especially on the upper reaches of the Chesapeake, Delaware Bay, and of course heading up the coast and into NY Harbor...

There are probably dozens of threads around here relative to that trip, poke around a bit for advice on catching a fair tide most of the way down Delaware Bay, and on thru NY Harbor and up the Hudson, etc...

Be sure you know with absolute certainty and precision your mast height, looks like your boat can make it thru the Cape May canal. You really want to avoid having to go around Cape May Point if at all possible...

You've done the locks before, so you know the drill there... One suggestion I'd make - assuming your boat's prop walk is to port - is to offset the rig slightly to starboard if possible. Taking the locks on the port wall will give you a bit more wiggle room, make it easier to bring the boat alongside the walls without risking making contact with either end of the stick...

Have fun, good luck with your new boat... You've made a great choice with the Morgan 382, that's a wonderful boat...
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 06-12-2014

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

You plan seems quite sensible except you'll probably need a hand passing through the locks but you are experienced enough to make that call yourself. The hop from Cape May to Sandy Hook should take about 19 hours. Expect a lot of construction activity near the Tappan Zee Bridge --120 barges and 35 tugs.