Should I go? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-12-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 525
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 5
capecodda is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

40 miles beating windward in a 33 ft boat after days of Easterlies in the rain isn't my idea of fun.

You'll be tacking to Portugal then back to Situate In fact, I'll bet you end up in Situate.

How about this, to get some "experience" go but head to Glousta haba instead. You'll be quartering to the SE wind. You'll be cold, wet, but you won't be bashing, and it won't take all the daylight you've got to get there. Have dinner tied up to one of those restaurants on Rocky neck.
jimrafford and Sal Paradise like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 06-12-2014
GeorgeB's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Alameda, San Francisco Bay
Posts: 1,407
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 10
GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

Oops, me bad. Just looked at Google Maps and didn’t appreciate how far north Marblehead is. Lots of beating into short, steep slop. You do it and you will have a BFS tale to tell. To put it into perspective, MrsB and I are going to Tiburon this weekend. And just to make it interesting and kill time while we wait for the tide to fill in at TYC, we are going to do two laps of the Bay. You da man.
__________________
George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 06-12-2014
Slayer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Andover, MA
Posts: 516
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
40 miles beating windward in a 33 ft boat after days of Easterlies in the rain isn't my idea of fun.

You'll be tacking to Portugal then back to Situate In fact, I'll bet you end up in Situate.

How about this, to get some "experience" go but head to Glousta haba instead. You'll be quartering to the SE wind. You'll be cold, wet, but you won't be bashing, and it won't take all the daylight you've got to get there. Have dinner tied up to one of those restaurants on Rocky neck.

Gloucester is my alternate plan. Everyone thanks for the tips. I will let you know what I do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 06-12-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,426
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Should I go?

Slayer, you're proposing this trip with a sailing club boat? A vessel with relatively limited equipment, and one with which you probably have limited personal experience? No auto pilot, jacklines, EPIRB or liferaft? Such a trip solo, in the best of weather I would think a little iffy, but in rougher conditions, a long stretch. Maybe I have this wrong...
jimrafford likes this.
__________________
Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-12-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 06-12-2014
DrB DrB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 966
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 8
DrB will become famous soon enough
MH to P'Town

On a good day with the winds in the right direction and light seas, depending on which side of MH you are (Main Harbor or Salem Side), it's about 8 h at 5.5-6 kts avg.

Done the trip twice, once with my wife and another person, and the other time as part of the Beringer Bowl Overnignt Race. On the return leg from the first trip, we headed back in 6-8 ft seas on the forward beam. Winds were 15kts. We motored sailed at 4.5 kts After 2 h of constant counter-steering, we had to switch off every 3 nm because it was tiring. We decided to bag it after the first two hours and headed to Scituate (22 nm away).

Even if you have 3-4 ft seas, if they are on the nose, you have at least 8 h of this if you can average 5.5 kts. Solo that will be exhausting. and a lot of pounding.

Can it be done, sure. Will you be wiped out physical at the end, 99.9% sure. Will be fun, maybe. If you decide to sail and the wind is from the SE, you'll probably end up sailing almost 80 nm with the tacks.

If you do end up going, I'd stay towards Boston. If it gets to be too much, you can head towards Boston or Scituate.
__________________
If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 06-13-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 12
ereiss is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

Sort of like the question of "should we reef"? If your asking the question the answer is "yes". If you have to ask "should I go" I think the answer should default to "no". Just my humble opinion. Fwiw.
__________________
Ed Reiss
Being There
Freedom F38 #154
out of Marion, MA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 06-13-2014
Sal Paradise's Avatar
Captain Obvious
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 715
Thanks: 13
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

Sounds like you should wait it out. The winds are predicted to shift around to the NW on Sunday.
__________________
Sal Paradise
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 06-13-2014
CapnBones's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 153
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 4
CapnBones is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

Those conditions sounds pretty good, unless you have to beat in to them, then I would stay in and have some rum. Just curious what your final decision is.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 06-13-2014
just ducky
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 664
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

sailing out of Salem I've made the PT trip many times, if you go this weekend you better plan on a 2-3 knot VMG speed to come back this weekend
__________________
Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 06-13-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new england
Posts: 1,625
Thanks: 31
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2
outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

Have done this trip too many times to count and would note.
In the boat you're in ride will be miserable. Although not as shallow as Buzzards Bay sections of Mass Bay generate short square wave chop. Also get reflected waves and confused seas.
In a PSC34 wife and I had to take turns to stay sharp on the helm. Solo with out a good AP or windvane lousy trip.
In a T37 with 4 crew 2 got sick.
Traffic in/out Boston and the C.C. Canal can be significant Without AIS need to keep a sharp eye at all times.
Usual prevailing is light SW winds. Easy reach back and forth in right window.
Fun trip but do it in appropriate window. End of June or Sept/Oct. best as winds die in August.
__________________
s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.