Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I go?

40 miles beating windward in a 33 ft boat after days of Easterlies in the rain isn't my idea of fun.

You'll be tacking to Portugal then back to Situate In fact, I'll bet you end up in Situate.

How about this, to get some "experience" go but head to Glousta haba instead. You'll be quartering to the SE wind. You'll be cold, wet, but you won't be bashing, and it won't take all the daylight you've got to get there. Have dinner tied up to one of those restaurants on Rocky neck.
jimrafford and Sal Paradise like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Oops, me bad. Just looked at Google Maps and didn’t appreciate how far north Marblehead is. Lots of beating into short, steep slop. You do it and you will have a BFS tale to tell. To put it into perspective, MrsB and I are going to Tiburon this weekend. And just to make it interesting and kill time while we wait for the tide to fill in at TYC, we are going to do two laps of the Bay. You da man.
Old 06-12-2014

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
40 miles beating windward in a 33 ft boat after days of Easterlies in the rain isn't my idea of fun.

You'll be tacking to Portugal then back to Situate In fact, I'll bet you end up in Situate.

How about this, to get some "experience" go but head to Glousta haba instead. You'll be quartering to the SE wind. You'll be cold, wet, but you won't be bashing, and it won't take all the daylight you've got to get there. Have dinner tied up to one of those restaurants on Rocky neck.

Gloucester is my alternate plan. Everyone thanks for the tips. I will let you know what I do.
Old 06-12-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Slayer, you're proposing this trip with a sailing club boat? A vessel with relatively limited equipment, and one with which you probably have limited personal experience? No auto pilot, jacklines, EPIRB or liferaft? Such a trip solo, in the best of weather I would think a little iffy, but in rougher conditions, a long stretch. Maybe I have this wrong...
jimrafford likes this.

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-12-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2014

DrB will become famous soon enough
MH to P'Town

On a good day with the winds in the right direction and light seas, depending on which side of MH you are (Main Harbor or Salem Side), it's about 8 h at 5.5-6 kts avg.

Done the trip twice, once with my wife and another person, and the other time as part of the Beringer Bowl Overnignt Race. On the return leg from the first trip, we headed back in 6-8 ft seas on the forward beam. Winds were 15kts. We motored sailed at 4.5 kts After 2 h of constant counter-steering, we had to switch off every 3 nm because it was tiring. We decided to bag it after the first two hours and headed to Scituate (22 nm away).

Even if you have 3-4 ft seas, if they are on the nose, you have at least 8 h of this if you can average 5.5 kts. Solo that will be exhausting. and a lot of pounding.

Can it be done, sure. Will you be wiped out physical at the end, 99.9% sure. Will be fun, maybe. If you decide to sail and the wind is from the SE, you'll probably end up sailing almost 80 nm with the tacks.

If you do end up going, I'd stay towards Boston. If it gets to be too much, you can head towards Boston or Scituate.
Old 06-13-2014

ereiss is on a distinguished road

Sort of like the question of "should we reef"? If your asking the question the answer is "yes". If you have to ask "should I go" I think the answer should default to "no". Just my humble opinion. Fwiw.
Freedom F38 #154
out of Marion, MA
Old 06-13-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you should wait it out. The winds are predicted to shift around to the NW on Sunday.
Old 06-13-2014

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

Those conditions sounds pretty good, unless you have to beat in to them, then I would stay in and have some rum. Just curious what your final decision is.
Old 06-13-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

sailing out of Salem I've made the PT trip many times, if you go this weekend you better plan on a 2-3 knot VMG speed to come back this weekend
Old 06-13-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Have done this trip too many times to count and would note.
In the boat you're in ride will be miserable. Although not as shallow as Buzzards Bay sections of Mass Bay generate short square wave chop. Also get reflected waves and confused seas.
In a PSC34 wife and I had to take turns to stay sharp on the helm. Solo with out a good AP or windvane lousy trip.
In a T37 with 4 crew 2 got sick.
Traffic in/out Boston and the C.C. Canal can be significant Without AIS need to keep a sharp eye at all times.
Usual prevailing is light SW winds. Easy reach back and forth in right window.
Fun trip but do it in appropriate window. End of June or Sept/Oct. best as winds die in August.