Join Date: Nov 2009
Thanked 122 Times in 111 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: Should I go?
Geeze, you guys are making a lot of noise about the chop. On the Chesapeake Bay, that's all we get! We'd never sail if we waited for the water to smooth out.
I've made plenty of sails like this, solo and with crew on my P30.
- My boat is my own, not a bare-bones club boat. I have safety gear and a tiller pilot. The boat is in excellent repair. SailingFool makes some good points there.
- I am familiar with the waters after time spent crewing on other boats, and sailing my own boat with crew.
"Stepping outside of your comfort zone" in order to grow, is necessary but it is a fine line. You want to push your limits, but not bite off more than you can chew.
Use your best judgement. Watch the forecast and the current weather observations until the last moment. Abort if in doubt. Plan some bail out points in your journey, if any exist.
Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168