Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore sailing on a Catalina 22?

Here in So Cal you see Catalina's at Catalina Island all the time, depending on which harbor you leave from it could be 21 to 30 miles. I came across one offshore about 20 miles off the backside of Catalina Island. Sturdy boat if rigged for the harsh environment of offshore work. I wouldn't cross an ocean 1000+ miles but under a hundred is ok by me.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Locking down the cockpit hatches, and putting the boards in the companionway, using a new Honda 9.9 HP long shaft and a nice big new plastic fuel tank ( 20 gallons) , GPS, proper safety gear, maintaining the keel , sailing conservatively , checking the weather - all will tilt the odds in your favor for coastal hopping in good conditions.

Even so, I would only go in good conditions with lots of planning and ways to call for help.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-15-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Goodness, people of rowed boats across the Atlantic. Using anecdotal examples of what people have done is of little importance to me. Would I? No. Would you? Maybe. It's a personal decision. The boat was not designed for that job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-15-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldrich View Post
If you had a Catalina 22 sailboat, what is the furthest away from shore would you take it?

Would you take it offshore?
You mean "farthest", not "furthest".

No, I would not sail a C22 offshore; coastal, maybe.

It is the skipper, not the boat. Part of being a good skipper is understanding the purpose and limitations of your vessel.
Old 06-15-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Hopping down the coast, a mile or two (or even less) offshore is one thing. Going out an inlet and just sailing around is another. And then, there's going out of sight of land to a different landfall.

Weather permitting, I'd do the first two, but would have no desire to do the third. But, even with good weather for the first two, you've got a small boat, with a small motor that would mean you have to time going out and coming back in, to catch the tide right.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-15-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post

Even so, I would only go in good conditions with lots of planning and ways to call for help.
Pretty amazing, when you think about it, that we've reached the point of the mindset being so commonplace, that having the means to call for help might actually make all the difference whether to go, or not...

Blondie Hasler would be be turning over in his grave... :-)

Seems an interesting question, I wonder how many among us might give up sailing, or stop venturing out of sight of land on small boats, if all means of summoning assistance were somehow suddenly denied to us?

Seems to me that anyone who would not consider hiking up to Tuckerman's Ravine in winter without a cell phone or PLB, probably shouldn't be doing so with one, either... :-)
Sal Paradise and Travelnik like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
......I wonder how many among us might give up sailing, or stop venturing out of sight of land on small boats, if all means of summoning assistance were somehow suddenly denied to us?
That's a really good question. To some degree, I think it would mute most of us to some degree. I certainly wouldn't stop sailing, nor cruising. However, if every coastal passage had to be the same prep as an offshore passage, it would naturally limit the ability to go.

For example, I have a good coastal liferaft and ditchbag that are really only good for a day in the raft, while the epirb does its job. If I had to potentially survive for many days, until someone randomly stumbled upon us or we figured out how to make landfall ourselves, that would require offshore prep for even a coastal hop. It would change the game.

I do get the point that some don't make the proper preparations even for a coastal hop and expect the Easy Button to bail them out. That's not proper seamanship.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-15-2014

saldrich is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This couple went to the Bahamas from Key Largo on a C22- Catalina Direct Clubhouse Forums

Nice!

An even better thread.....

Transatlantic crossing in a C22?
Old 06-16-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Seems an interesting question, I wonder how many among us might give up sailing, or stop venturing out of sight of land on small boats, if all means of summoning assistance were somehow suddenly denied to us?

I am old enough to have spent many days on the water ( & doing things that were far more dangerous ) before cell phones, so I feel I can actually answer this; I think it would make very few people give up any adventure type sport. We might act slightly differently without celll phone communications, we might bring a few extra tools, practice swimming :-) ......do a little bit more maintenance perhaps. But ultimately it would stop very few. In fact an argument could be made just the opposite - that more people are distracted by their smart phones and so there are less people who can muster the time and attention for sailing. Sure, a few people use the I phone to film their adventures, but many times more just stare into the things while walking like a zombie through a mall.

Now you can't really mean "all means of summoning assistance". Not sure what that really means - does that include flares and distress flags?

Any man brave or foolish enough to sail a 22' boat offshore probably wouldn't be stopped by lack of communications. After all, sailboats are extremely reliable vehicles if used within their limits.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-16-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Now you can't really mean "all means of summoning assistance". Not sure what that really means - does that include flares and distress flags?
No, of course not... I was thinking more of our modern means of "calling for help" - VHF/HF radios, cell phones, EPIRBS, Sat phones, SPOT, and the like...

Tags
bluewater , catalina 22 , cruising , offshore , sailboat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.