Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shadowraiths
  • 1 Post By TakeFive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Okay, I went and done did it.

I picked up a little Minn Kota 30lb trolling motor for my walker bay. Yeah, I know, it's for fresh water, and using in salt water voids the warranty. Still, considering the price, I view it as a disposable, anyway. *shrugs*

Took the dink for a quick (slow) spin around the estuary to see what sort of lasting power I had. I am using a 35AH AGM marine battery. Which, by my calculations, if maxed out, would last about 1 hour on high speed. I pretty much depleted the battery. And yes, I know, you're only supposed to run it to 60% but I wanted, as I said, I wanted to get a feel for the distance I could get with the thing.

Now that I know (I visited all of my usual estuary haunts), I feel I can visit them (one at a time, in the future) and have plenty of juice left over.

I still plan to sail the WB, of course. But for now, I am admittedly having fun with my new toy.
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Okay, I went and done did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
I picked up a little Minn Kota 30lb trolling motor for my walker bay. Yeah, I know, it's for fresh water, and using in salt water voids the warranty. Still, considering the price, I view it as a disposable, anyway. *shrugs*

Took the dink for a quick (slow) spin around the estuary to see what sort of lasting power I had. I am using a 35AH AGM marine battery. Which, by my calculations, if maxed out, would last about 1 hour on high speed. I pretty much depleted the battery. And yes, I know, you're only supposed to run it to 60% but I wanted, as I said, I wanted to get a feel for the distance I could get with the thing.

Now that I know (I visited all of my usual estuary haunts), I feel I can visit them (one at a time, in the future) and have plenty of juice left over.

I still plan to sail the WB, of course. But for now, I am admittedly having fun with my new toy.
Please keep me posted on how it goes. I have the same motor and have debated taking it out in brackish water (but so far only freshwater). I'm sailing down to Rock Hall-Annapolis-St. Michaels area in a couple weeks, and deciding whether to use it. So please let me know if your bearings seize up or anything else.

Did you actually get a full hour out of it before depleting? (i.e., were your calculations right?) I actually went to the battery store today and was debating between 22 or 35 Ah (both from Universal) or 32 Ah (very nice Dekka). So it would really help me to know how much time you get out of your battery.

Also, what kind of terminals does your batter have? Any problems getting the rather large U-terminals attached?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-14-2014

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

I picked up these

Amazon.com: VMAX857 AGM Battery 35AH Marine RV Deep Cycle HI Performance Batteries ideal for boats and 18-35lb minn kota, minnkota, cobra, sevylor and other trolling motor: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: VMAX857 AGM Battery 35AH Marine RV Deep Cycle HI Performance Batteries ideal for boats and 18-35lb minn kota, minnkota, cobra, sevylor and other trolling motor: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: VMAX BC1204 3.3A 4-Stage Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Smart Charger / Maintainer for AGM, GEL, SLA, FLA 12 Volt for Car Solar Marine Trolling Auto Scooter Wheelchair and other 12V Batteries: Automotive Amazon.com: VMAX BC1204 3.3A 4-Stage Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Smart Charger / Maintainer for AGM, GEL, SLA, FLA 12 Volt for Car Solar Marine Trolling Auto Scooter Wheelchair and other 12V Batteries: Automotive

I fully charged the battery before using it. I was on the water (as in using the motor) a little over an hour, total. I ran her at high (5) speed for much of that time, though, I cranked her down as I was approaching various docks. The battery was definitely pretty much depleted, as I returned to my boat. That is, it was obvious, I wasn't getting the same power at 5, that I did when I left.

The battery terminals are bolts with two washers and 10 mm nuts. I ended up putting the spade terminal at the lowest point (below both washers) to get the tightness required to keep the cables connected. As an aside, Minn Kota recommends an inline 50A fuse or circuit breaker. Which I plan to add at some point.

Notably, before setting out, I did a lot of reading. And, of course, I took oars, just in case. I did find this informative article. The guy also provided a spreadsheet. I changed his numbers down to 35AH and 75RC for the batter.y I could not find any RC info for the aforementioned battery, so I just made it up. I know... Anyway, from those calculations, I could get one hour on a fully charged battery, going at 5knots. I did not measure speed but I did run it a 5 and I did get my hour-ish. So that was good.

As for the brackish water bit? Since I've only used it once (today), don't expect to see anything, at this point. There is, however, another thread on this forum where they discussed this very thing. One poster even put zincs on theirs. Based upon the pics, I am guessing they put them on the shaft.

Also, I did do some searching, and found this interesting discussion regarding using zincs on the freshwater model. One person on that thread claimed they used theirs for 7 years before it finally gave up its ghost. If I can get one season out of mine, I'll be happy. More than that? Happier of course. As I said earlier, I see this as a disposable.

But, I digress.

That individual said they just purchased the zinc nut (for the riptide) from minn kota. I went looking for that nut on their site and could not find that part. So, I'm guessing they weren't happy that people were getting such great results buy purchasing their less expensive FW models and just buying a nut to keep them lasting longer. But that's jmo.

I will admit, I do wonder about the whole corroding bit. The propeller is plastic, so that (obviously) won't corrode. I'm think the biggest thing is the motor housing. It is metal. The shaft is as well. So, it seems the sacrificial zinc on the shaft would make more sense than a zinc nut. But I know nothing about how electrolysis works on boat motors. So, please take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Regardless, will try to keep this post updated as the summer passes. :-)
Old 06-14-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
...As an aside, Minn Kota recommends an inline 50A fuse or circuit breaker. Which I plan to add at some point. ...
FWIW, here's the one I purchased. I have not actually installed it yet, and I'll be looking at the battery terminals to see if there is some way to attach this directly to the negative terminal:

50 Amp Manual Reset Circuit Breaker 12V 24V Boat Accessory Trolling Motor | eBay
shadowraiths likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-15-2014 at 10:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
shadowraiths (06-15-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.