SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What's the *second* best way to keep spiders off your boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/147690-whats-%2Asecond%2A-best-way-keep-spiders-off-your-boat.html)

bristol299bob 06-16-2014 11:05 PM

What's the *second* best way to keep spiders off your boat?

Of course, the best way is to sail often!

These past few weeks, family obligations have conspired against me. Graduations, birthdays, car repairs ... All competing for my precious time on the water.

This weekend I arrived to find tons of spiders, hiding in very possible nook and crany. And kept finding them all weekend long. In the folds of canvas, in lines, tracks of the boom, mast, blocks. Everywhere.

Now I'm no arachnophobe but I got damn tired of killing these things. Any tips or tricks to keep the spiders away?

hellosailor 06-16-2014 11:09 PM

Re: What's the *second* best way to keep spiders off your boat?

Buy geckos.

Or, arachnicide:

kentobin 06-17-2014 12:51 AM

For spiders I've had good luck with The Ortho Home Defense MAX. No idea how long it will last. Picked up a gallon a Home Depot.

My boat is on the hard in a storage yard by a wetlands area in California and I get inundated with spiders.

Here's a link to the manufacturere's website:
Ortho Home Defense MAX Perimeter & Indoor Insect Killer

CaptainForce 06-17-2014 01:33 AM

Shrink wrap?

jzk 06-17-2014 06:59 AM

The best way for me is to be on the boat in the evening when they come out. Then, I go hunting with a flashlight and a fly swatter. I mostly just knock them into the water to keep from making a mess. In the morning, wherever there are webs is where I need to keep working. Occasionally I will spray if it gets out of hand.

It is so much better having a spider free boat, and not even because they are creepy. They make lots of mess that stains the gelcoat.

H and E 06-17-2014 07:06 AM

I have used electronic pest control devices in my shop with good success. If you have 110v available this may work on a boat as well, but I have not tried it yet.

AirborneSF 06-17-2014 07:13 AM

Then come the dirt daubers, which eat the spiders, and build their nest in ANYTHING on the boat.

Don0190 06-17-2014 07:40 AM

I didn't realize that spiders were really an issue. I have never seen a spider on my boat so maybe you need a Don :rolleyes:

caberg 06-17-2014 07:53 AM

Launched on May 12 this year, before the weather had really warmed up, did one treatment with a spray insecticide on launch day in all the usual hiding spots, keep the boat on a mooring or anchor, rarely come into a dock, and we've been relatively spider free this season.

Last season, got a late start launching in mid-June, and we were battling them all summer long. The spiders themselves don't really bother me all that much, but the poop is another story. Sailing regularly did not seem to do anything to keep their numbers down.

jzk 06-17-2014 08:28 AM

One time I went aloft for one reason or another and noticed dozens of baby spiders inside the anchor light lens.