Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
Good circumnavigation blogs, Japan?

I have yet to find a single circumnavigation blog that has stopped in japan.
Anyone know of one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Good circumnavigation blogs, Japan?

Japan is in an awkward spot for almost any circumnavigation route. It would be a massive detour from a coconut milk run and all those hunks of land get in way of an eastward route in the northern hemisphere. As I remember, there is also a typhoon risk during any season and not many places to bail out. It makes more sense for a northern Pacific circuit, but this a route that attracts very few people. Check your Cornell for details.
UnionPacific likes this.
Old 06-18-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

KS is right, Japan is WAY off any typical circumnavigation route... Search instead for people who have done a Pacific circuit, returning to N America via the northern route, Aleutians, etc... The pickings will be slim, indeed, that's a pretty challenging route...

The Pardeys, and Hal and Margaret Roth are among the few who have done that voyage, though their experiences in Japan are by now seriously outdated... Everything I've heard, although Japan is a very welcoming country to sailors, there is very little infrastructure away from major population centers in support of cruising yachtsmen, and apparently the governmental bureaucracy is nothing short of a nightmare to deal with...

Alvah and Diana Simon visited Japan a few years ago, wrote about it in CRUISING WORLD... Probably the most comprehensive contemporary account is to be found in the experience of Tere and Michael Batham:

Cruising Japan to New Zealand: The Voyage of the Sea Quest: Tere Batham: 9781574091823: Amazon.com: Books Cruising Japan to New Zealand: The Voyage of the Sea Quest: Tere Batham: 9781574091823: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-18-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure by Lyn and Larry Pardey. It's an old school blog but you might like the free "E-reader" it comes with. It's made from carbon-neutral plant based materials. Very progressive....

Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure: Lin Pardey, Larry Pardey: 9780964603639: Amazon.com: Books Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure: Lin Pardey, Larry Pardey: 9780964603639: Amazon.com: Books

It's a good read though with lots of info. I own it.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-18-2014
Schooner Captain

I pulled my cornell off the shelf and It looks like I could do a California, Hawaii, South Pacific, Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia route. There is a solid roue from Japan to Hong Kong.
I guess it may come down to desire, and the cyclone issue, and the issue with monsters coming from the sea A small part of me is screaming to skip Hawaii. So expensive. However, the amateur volcanologist side of me is making me go.

Old 06-18-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

The Cornell book is a must have, if not for the fact that it's the gold standard, then to use it to know where the sheep migration patterns are. Some will want to migrate with them, some will want to go their own way and don't want to be disturbed by the mass migrations.

There is a better book for route planning in my opinion.
Ocean Passages and Landfalls.
by Rod Heikell and Andy O'Grady.

It's got better visual representations of the routes and ports (it has more pretty pictures) and it has enough customs and port/anchorage info to help you decide if you want to go somewhere or if it's going to be to big of a PITA. It's not quite detailed enough to call it a true cruising guide to every port they list, but they do have harbor charts and significantly more info than Cornell, and the format is much more approachable and readable. The guys who write it appear to be the real deal. They've got photos of their 2 boat everywhere from Antarctica, to Scandinavia to Newfoundland, to the tropics.

Here's a picture of one of the pages that outlines some of the routes you're considering. It is reproduced without permission, but in the hopes that you'll be impressed and go buy a copy of their book. :-)

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-18-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

The routes you are talking about are different from what UP is discussing. He wants to add the South Pacific to where he wants to go. Crossing the ITCZ does add considerable complexity. Maybe by the time he gets there China will have gotten its act together and understand recreational boats. It would be a nice coastal cruise with interesting places to stop like Shanghai and many smaller ports. There is pressure from a tiny cruising community there to do something. Vietnam is also a problem. Last time I checked (we were thinking of going this route) there was only one small (~80 mile) chunk of coast open to cruisers - where there is a charter fleet of some sort. That means you cannot go to a lot of the more interesting cities.

We were thinking South Pacific, Australia, Indonesia, Philippines and north from there. the timings were really difficult.
Old 06-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
The routes you are talking about are different from what UP is discussing. He wants to add the South Pacific to where he wants to go. Crossing the ITCZ does add considerable complexity. Maybe by the time he gets there China will have gotten its act together and understand recreational boats. It would be a nice coastal cruise with interesting places to stop like Shanghai and many smaller ports. There is pressure from a tiny cruising community there to do something. Vietnam is also a problem. Last time I checked (we were thinking of going this route) there was only one small (~80 mile) chunk of coast open to cruisers - where there is a charter fleet of some sort. That means you cannot go to a lot of the more interesting cities.

We were thinking South Pacific, Australia, Indonesia, Philippines and north from there. the timings were really difficult.
Yup, the timings of those routes appear to be incredibly complex, seems doubtful you could make it up to Japan and back in a single season, and have enough time to really explore... I haven't looked at it closely, however...

Really a shame Vietnam is so difficult and limited, it's a magical country... One of the few guys I'm aware of who made it there on a cruising boat was Jack van Ommen, and he did it quite awhile ago, seems to have become more restricted since then. Parts of the coast are magnificent, and a trip up the Mekong in a cruising boat would be one for the ages... Shoal draft would be essential, however, and it would really test your skills of seat of the pants piloting... :-)

If you needed to stock up on teak, that would be the spot...

But, the timing of going up to Japan, and then back down to Indonesia, might be the least of the challenges of such a trip... After all, the S China Sea is one of the most heavily trafficked bodies of water on earth, the extent of merchant shipping along that route would be immense, and never-ending... Coupled with the amount of unlit fishing vessels closer to the coasts, seems to me that would make for an incredibly stressful passage(s)...

And, then there's the little matter of piracy in that part of the world...

Oh, nevermind...

Last edited by tdw; 06-18-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Gun Talk Gone.
Old 06-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
The Cornell book is a must have, if not for the fact that it's the gold standard, then to use it to know where the sheep migration patterns are. Some will want to migrate with them, some will want to go their own way and don't want to be disturbed by the mass migrations.

There is a better book for route planning in my opinion.
Ocean Passages and Landfalls.
by Rod Heikell and Andy O'Grady.
That book is pretty good, but for the sort of 'musing' and long-term thinking UP is doing, I think Jimmy Cornell's WORLD VOYAGE PLANNER is even better, still...

NEW: World Voyage Planner, Jimmy Cornell?s Latest Book | Cornell Sailing Publications and Events
Old 06-18-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
That book is pretty good, but for the sort of 'musing' and long-term thinking UP is doing, I think Jimmy Cornell's WORLD VOYAGE PLANNER is even better, still...

NEW: World Voyage Planner, Jimmy Cornell?s Latest Book | Cornell Sailing Publications and Events
I figure if the cruise will take 3-5-7 years to make, I better read all I can by people who have done it. I have read a few who have done chille and the horn.
Not going to bother with the Atlantic crossing, Thats one of the easiest crossing in the proper season.