Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Miami to Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Are you saying that the Gulfstream never produces 25 foot waves?
Nope... Although, the Stream certainly has a well-deserved reputation for producing seas that may SEEM like 25-footers... :-)

What I'm saying is that it requires pretty remarkable weather to produce such conditions... (A recent hurricane passing over the Florida Straits was unlikely to have done so, for example) And, an even more more 'remarkable' sailor who would elect to cross the Stream for pleasure, on a boat like an Irwin 38, when such conditions existed, much less without even paying heed to the WX forecast at the time... :-)
capta likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road

It was a 1971 Irwin 38. 25 foot seas were never really a problem because they have a long period. It is the smaller shorter square waves that give you a pounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Nope... Although, the Stream certainly has a well-deserved reputation for producing seas that may SEEM like 25-footers... :-)

What I'm saying is that it requires pretty remarkable weather to produce such conditions... (A recent hurricane passing over the Florida Straits was unlikely to have done so, for example) And, an even more more 'remarkable' sailor who would elect to cross the Stream for pleasure, on a boat like an Irwin 38, when such conditions existed, much less without even paying heed to the WX forecast at the time... :-)
Old 06-24-2014

Old 06-24-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The fill area is located high and in the front. The engine is inside and protected from the sea.
I love waverunners...as a kid here we use to borrow friends and hit the breakers at the estuary mouths called bocanas here

MASSIVE fun

yes I hate them when they mess with sailboats, called maggots by us when they do that however that trip must of been real fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 06-24-2014

I used to race my Irwin 38 in a fleet that had an Islander 36.

I would much rather sail to Bimini than take the waverunners, but that was my option at the time. It was kind of cool being able to zip all around that island in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I love waverunners...as a kid here we use to borrow friends and hit the breakers at the estuary mouths called bocanas here

MASSIVE fun

yes I hate them when they mess with sailboats, called maggots by us when they do that however that trip must of been real fun

christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-24-2014

I made the crossing in a Sea Ray 460 from Lucaya to Jupiter with a following sea that maxed out at about 12 feet. 12 was the max though. Mostly 6 - 8 or so. The Sea Ray got pretty wet. Going the other direction would have been an entirely different matter.

The thing about your post is that hurricanes produce a different kind of weather. They are short term and fierce. The worst storm I have been in was the 2011 Mac storm. What made it "the worst" was zero visibility with land and many boats nearby, severe winds occasionally 60 knots or so (some reported 90), although the highest I saw was 40something, but I was most certainly not looking the whole time. Combine that with lightning everywhere while they were reporting 2 lost in the water made it the worst. But not much seas in that one. 12.6 knots under main alone was a wild ride though.

The 25 foot waves were just a bunch of "fun." We sailed up, over the top, then swooshed down them like a roller coaster. They were no big deal, and any reasonable vessel would have been fine.

Quote:

kwaltersmi likes this.
Old 06-24-2014

Quote:
Beautiful boat, I'd forgotten about that model... Ted certainly drew some sweet ones, back in the day...

Quote:
It was a 1971 Irwin 38. 25 foot seas were never really a problem because they have a long period. It is the smaller shorter square waves that give you a pounding.
Well, "long period" is certainly not the sort of seas I generally associate with those being produced by the Gulf Stream...

At any rate, with a 25-foot swell running through the straits between Florida and the Bahama Banks, I'll bet running that entrance channel at Bimini - particularly back in the day before the recent dredging - was 'interesting', to say the least...

:-)

capta likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-24-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2014

Right, it is not the long period swell that gets you, but the short, square 6 footers produced by the current going against the wind.

The entrance to Bimini has always been pretty protected every time I have entered. Back then we did enter by lining up the range markers, then going straight in until you get pretty close to the beach and hanging a left. Remember those days? My first ever entry was at night with the Irwin. My last was at night with the waverunners

With the waverunners, it was the first time I have been to Bimini since they dredged it.

Quote:
Beautiful boat, I'd forgotten about that model... Ted certainly drew some sweet ones, back in the day...

Well, "long period" is certainly not the sort of seas I generally associate with those being produced by the Gulf Stream...

At any rate, with a 25-foot swell running through the straits between Florida and the Bahama Banks, I'll bet running that entrance channel at Bimini - particularly back in the day before the recent dredging - was 'interesting', to say the least...

:-)

Old 06-24-2014

Here we are sailing to Key West in the Fort Lauderdale Key West Race in like 1995.
Old 06-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Seems like the thing to do would be do have a backup plan to sail around Miami, the Keys, or sw Florida or maybe dry Tortugas. Then, if the weather window to cross the stream and back doesn't materialize, the trip's still not wasted.
For certain, that should be his fallback plan... On a boat like his Spindrift, one could have a blast moseying down the back side of the Keys, and knocking about Florida Bay...

Making it out to the Dry Tortugas and back in a week, however, that ain't gonna happen... :-)
Johnnycatt likes this.