Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014

Johnnycatt is on a distinguished road
Miami to Bimini

I get ONE week off every year (I own a business and my wife owns one, too).

I have two options 1)the week of Thanksgiving or 2)the week of Christmas/New Years.

I have a strange idea that I'd like to trailer my 24' Spindrift down to Miami and cross to Bimini.

I have made longer trips in her (Pascagoula to Pensacola). I have made trips in "open water" (in the reletive protection of the Gulf Of Mexico). I have been sailing for 30 years - the last 10 years along the Gulf Coast... It doesn't seem difficult, but that is precisely what bothers me..

Am I crazy? What am I missing? It's like I can't see the forrest for the trees..

It this common? It seems like it would be. Does that Gulf Stream really set the boat off bad and make a 50 mile trip more like a 100 mile trip?

what is it I am missing?

thanks,

JAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Miami to Bimini

While I have never made the trip.. all accounts say that crossing the stream can be treacherous if the water and wind are not cooperating.

Not to dissuade you, as I want to make that same trip, but with only a week off, what if you can't get back before the week is up?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

What you are missing is that you need to wait for the right weather window, both going and coming. You cannot count on having the right weather to cross both ways within a single week. And trying to cross the Stream in that boat, in the wrong sort of weather, can get you killed. That is no joke, and it is not an exaggeration. People have died trying to cross the Gulf Stream in the wrong sort of weather conditions.

If you want so sail in the Bahamas, charter. If you want to cross the Gulf Stream, wait until you have a month or more so that you can trailer your boat to Miami and then hang around until the weather is right, go across, and then hang around again until the weather is right for coming back.

Trying to do this sort of thing on a tight schedule is a good way to get yourself into SERIOUS trouble.
charlesmoore03 likes this.
Old 06-24-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

By the way, perhaps I should mention that I made this trip myself, back in the 1980s, on a very similar boat--a San Juan 23. The difference is that I lived in Orlando, and I had a very flexible vacation schedule. I was able to watch the weather, and then on just a few days notice dash down to Miami and head across.

Even at that, it wasn't a particularly comfortable crossing. And I ended up spending a BOATLOAD more money than I intended, because the weather did not cooperate on coming back. So I had to leave my boat in a marina and fly back, and then return several weeks later to retrieve the boat. And I mean that "boatload" almost literally; it cost me a couple of thousand dollars--almost as much as I paid for the boat--to buy the airline tickets back and forth and pay for the marina time.

I guess I'm glad that I did it, but I'm older and wiser now, and value my comfort more, so I wouldn't do it again in a boat like that one.
Old 06-24-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I've crossed the stream dozens of times. I've crossed without a lick of current and in over 8 knots of current.
As a general rule, use a factor of 2.5 knots as your average current between Fla and Bimini. That means, for a 10 hour trip, expect to get pushed north 25 miles and adjust your course accordingly. With GPS it's pretty easy to keep on top of your set, so that shouldn't be a problem.
As for weather, that's another matter entirely. On a 24' sail boat, sailing east in an easterly isn't going to be easy or pleasant. Much better in a SE wind, better still in a southerly, but any wind from the south will increase the speed of the stream. Anything north of east or west is just plain suicidal in a very small boat and a true norther has cost many, on well found sailing vessels of considerable size, their lives.
I really can't, in all good conscience, say go for it, since I do not know you or your vessel at all. I believe a 24' boat is pretty small for a winter time crossing of the stream, but if you pick the right weather, have a well found vessel and are a proficient mariner, well.... On the other hand, if you are on a schedule, you may well have to leave your boat over there until you can get another weather window to return which might be next year (or more) if you only have 1 week a year.
Old 06-24-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

I would go in November. The weather will be marginally better...but the water will be cold by then though.

A week is a perfect amount of time to poke over to Bimini. To be honest, there isn't TOO much to do over there, however the passages alone will take up two of your seven days of vacation. The challenge is that in the winter, you'll get cold fronts every 3-4 days. While these fronts usually create a weather window in advance of their arrival, when they do arrive, they can make the Gulfstream really snotty...if not downright dangerous. You may get pinned there beyond your vacation window.

Since you own your business, whats the harm in just leaving your return a bit open ended and coming back when the weather allows.
Old 06-24-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycatt View Post
I get ONE week off every year (I own a business and my wife owns one, too).

I have two options 1)the week of Thanksgiving or 2)the week of Christmas/New Years.

I have a strange idea that I'd like to trailer my 24' Spindrift down to Miami and cross to Bimini.

I have made longer trips in her (Pascagoula to Pensacola). I have made trips in "open water" (in the reletive protection of the Gulf Of Mexico). I have been sailing for 30 years - the last 10 years along the Gulf Coast... It doesn't seem difficult, but that is precisely what bothers me..

Am I crazy? What am I missing? It's like I can't see the forrest for the trees..

It this common? It seems like it would be. Does that Gulf Stream really set the boat off bad and make a 50 mile trip more like a 100 mile trip?

what is it I am missing?

thanks,

JAY
Jay--

As/When/If you come back to this thread, page down to the very bottom of the page displaying your post and you will find a list of other threads that discuss the same subject/information. As a practical matter, you'd be wise to think about the proposed expedition at that time of year in that sized boat carefully. And your appetite for discomfort. See Capta's post, above.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-24-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road

I have crossed from Fort Lauderdale more times than I can count in my former Irwin 38. I also made the crossing in a Sea Ray 460 a few times. Last March, my girlfriend and I crossed from Miami to Bimini on two SeaDoo waverunners. I don't think we ever took weather into account when sailing. Sometimes we motored the whole way because the water was glass, and sometimes there were 25 footers. It all depends on your abilities and that boat's abilities. How does that boat like pounding into steep square waves?

The problem with having such a tight window is that it might lead to disappointment if conditions don't meet your needs.

As far as "things to do" in Bimini, there are thousands of things to do. You will not be able to do everything in a week. Honeymoon harbor, Sapona, Sarah's for dinner, Joe's conch shack, end of the world bar, etc. etc. etc.

For the naysayers, why shouldn't that boat be able to make it to Bimini? If that boat can't make it to bimini in any conditions, I would suggest never taking it there at all. In a sailboat, conditions can change, and one must be ready for nearly anything.
xsealb473 likes this.
Old 06-24-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road

What "well found" sailing vessels can't make it to Bimini when it is blowing out of the North?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've crossed the stream dozens of times. I've crossed without a lick of current and in over 8 knots of current.
As a general rule, use a factor of 2.5 knots as your average current between Fla and Bimini. That means, for a 10 hour trip, expect to get pushed north 25 miles and adjust your course accordingly. With GPS it's pretty easy to keep on top of your set, so that shouldn't be a problem.
As for weather, that's another matter entirely. On a 24' sail boat, sailing east in an easterly isn't going to be easy or pleasant. Much better in a SE wind, better still in a southerly, but any wind from the south will increase the speed of the stream. Anything north of east or west is just plain suicidal in a very small boat and a true norther has cost many, on well found sailing vessels of considerable size, their lives.
I really can't, in all good conscience, say go for it, since I do not know you or your vessel at all. I believe a 24' boat is pretty small for a winter time crossing of the stream, but if you pick the right weather, have a well found vessel and are a proficient mariner, well.... On the other hand, if you are on a schedule, you may well have to leave your boat over there until you can get another weather window to return which might be next year (or more) if you only have 1 week a year.
Old 06-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I have fond memories doing it with my family back when we were kids, my dad was slightly handicapped at that point and we did a lot of the physical work...

I remember it was rainy and windy getting there so it must of been late summer months or spring time...

I see it as a great trip

the whole schedule thing especially having your own business seems odd...dont go with a set timeframe,but that goes for ALL CRUISING

schedules and etas are a NO NO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.