Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Hello everybody, Update time. I have found that a lawyer will cost more then the keel and may take longer then it would to get the keel from Catalina. . So this is what I'm thanking. I have found a trailer her (She would be SunnySide Up) so that I can get her out of the water. If the PO (previous owner) will pay for the trailer (650.00) I'll let the keel thing go and chalk it up to a learning experience(good, bad what do you guys thank). Also on this note, many of you may have figured out that this is my first sailboat (what a surprise there). I need a little in site on stepping the mast so I can get it to the surveyor and home to do the repairs. HELP PLEASE.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Should be able to find quite a few sites on the net about stepping the mast, can't think of any right off hand, but google the boat and I'm sue you'd run accross a few of them.

Congrats on getting the keel problem worked out.

Ken.
Old 04-25-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Don't step the mast until the boat has a keel. Raising the mast will raise the boat's center of gravity, making it very unstable. If you try to raise sails, the boat will fall over on it's side. Also, a sailboat that doesn't have a keel resembles a leaf on a pond. It can't sail to windward. It can only drift more or less downwind. If you need to move the boat, you'll have to use an outboard motor until the boat has a keel.

You can get lots of information and advice from other Catalina 22 owners at their website by clicking on the following hyperlink: http://www.catalina22.org/

Last edited by Sailormon6; 04-25-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormon6 has a very good point... The Catalina usergroups should have plenty of info on how to step the mast, and how to get the replacement keel in place.
Old 04-25-2006

Mast Down

I need to get the mast down to get her out of the water to put a keel on her. I have an outboard to move her to the ramp . There are power lines close to the ramp so I have to step the mast down in order to get her to the yard. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 04-25-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I just realized that the hyperlink to the Catalina 22 website didn't work. I corrected it, so try it again, and ask your question on their forum. You'll get good information from the people who raise and lower their masts every day. It has been 25 years since I raised or lowered a mast on a C22, and I probably wouldn't explain it very clearly.
Old 04-25-2006

km2x is on a distinguished road
Catalina Direct is good to work with Too. They deal in Catalina Parts and specifically the 22. Look on their website. www.catalinadirect.com since they have a tech questions phone number. They have been pretty helpful

KM
Old 04-26-2006

Thumbs up

For those of you that have been keeping up with this, the keel has been retrieved from the bottom of the lake. The PO is going to pay for it and I'll have it back on and in the water in no time( I Hope). I would like to thank everyone for there support. It's nice to have a place to turn to for help,

Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats...
Old 04-27-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations but your travails may not over quite yet. When a boat like the Catalina loses its keel, it often occurs when the upper portion of the swing keel above the pivot rusts out so that it is no longer able to support the keel and snaps off allowing the keel to drop away from the boat.

Jeff