Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
Do you mean the keel is self or the mounts that hold it to the hull. The keel is in tacked, it still had the pin in it when it come up. My concern is that the mounts are rusted like you may be speaking of or that from the weight of the keel coming free of the wench cable it has busted the mount and the glass around it. Either way your right I do have a long path ahead and will be coming here for input and help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2006

dave oneill is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Oyler
For those of you that have been keeping up with this, the keel has been retrieved from the bottom of the lake. The PO is going to pay for it and I'll have it back on and in the water in no time( I Hope). I would like to thank everyone for there support. It's nice to have a place to turn to for help,

Thanks again.
good luck to you. as soon as i finish sailing school i will have at least 2 old salts along side me as i start to look at my first sailboat.

dave .
(lawman )
Old 04-27-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
What Broke ?

From 1987 Catalina owners manual:
http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/mn...ndbook.htm#4.7

From 1977 owners manual:
http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/mn....htm#swingkeel

You'll face special problems if you decide to keep your retractable keel model in the water, especially salt water. Bottom paint is a must, plus periodic cleaning and removal of marine growth from the keel trunk slot. The possibility of corrosion to the keel and keel fittings is greatly increased. Keeping a retractable-keel model in salt water for lengthy periods is not recommended.

Should you decide to keep a retractable-keel model in the water at a slip or mooring, the following suggestions may help to extend the life of the keel assembly. First of all, the keel pivot pin is made of silicon-bronze, the hinge castings are of brass, and the keel itself is made of steel. To retard electrolytic action which will "eat" away the metals, drill and tap the side of the keel (near the forward edge) as close to the keel pivot assembly as possible. Then attach a teardrop shaped "zinc." Keeping the keel in the raised position will help prolong the life of the flexible stainless steel cable by keeping as much of it out of the water as possible. Replacement cables are available through the local dealer.

Last edited by sailandoar; 04-27-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Sonny, tens of thousands of sailors have owned Catalina 22s, and new ones are still being built. Unlike many older boats, you can still get replacement parts for them, and out of all the people who chat on their website, someone will know how to fix almost anything that can go wrong with a Catalina 22. They're knowledgeable and resourceful do-it-yourselfers, and they'll be glad to share their knowledge.
Old 04-27-2006

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
I haven't gotten her out of the water yet to know for sure but I'm going to say the shoe casting broke from rust. I'm only assuming that if there were major damage in that area(oh say the keel taking a hit) that there would be some kind of water coming into the boat. I don't thank that the keel lock was set when all of this toke place, it may have been and over time it finely just give up on holding all that weight by itself. Anyway until I get her out of the water I really want know what is going on.
Old 04-29-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Keel Issue

Having acquired a Catalina 22 with no keel about eight years ago, I empathize with your plight. In my case, the owner was trying to get rid of the boat and gave it to me, so fraud was not an issue. He did tell me that the cable was broken and thus that the keel was in the "down" position. I found out the hard way that there was no keel because he also gave me an outboard that was supposed to have been overhauled, except it wasn't. I had to move the boat about two miles in heavy air to a boat ramp, and all I had was a 35-pound thrust electric trolling motor. We got about half-way until the wind was coming off the port stern quarter and then we just blew like a leaf into a sand bar, and ended up getting a tow from a power boater to the ramp.

Here's another vote for Catalina Direct. They have all the parts and can provide assistance in doing any work. I was able to reburbish my "free" boat through them.

I think the shoe casting is the problem. It was with my boat. I agree with your assessment that you'd have water in the boat if there were some type of structural damage. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2006

jangann is on a distinguished road
Honest mistake?

It's always possible that the former owner knew little about the boat, and honestly thought the keel was there. Perhaps you should contact the owner personally before engaging a lawyer, and ask for a portion of your money back so you can fix the boat.

Assuming the person is honest is taking the high road . . . and if you receive no recourse THEN you can hire a lawyer.

LESSON -- even for a small 22, a survey is worth the money!
Old 05-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
An adjustment in the price is definitely a good idea...as putting the swing keel back in the boat will have some costs, especially if the swing keel needs to be repaired.
Old 05-05-2006

C_Amos is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up If you still need one

I know where you can get a Cat 22 swing keel. I raised the boat, and it is pretty much free for the taking.

contact 's/v Faith' on the sailfar.net web site if you are interested.