Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Best outboard motor for a small inflatable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman_3rdClass View Post
My first post to Sailnet. I recently bought a used inflatable dinghy (an Avon Redcrest) for our sailboat, without a motor.
My thoughts:

Spend some time rowing. As noted earlier a set of longer (collapsible) oars will make that easier. So will practice.

4-stroke engines (including Lehr propane) are heavier than 2-strokes or electrics. That is a particular problem for boats like the Avon Redcrest that don't have much buoyancy aft.

Remember that aside from trim and heel issues, the engine comes out of your load capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman_3rdClass View Post
It has an insertable plywood board as its bottom. I believe the original outboard for it was a 2-stroke Seagull (British), but was advised to get a new-ish modern 4-stroke motor.
If you are mechanically handy you might consider a Seagull 2 or Seagull 3. You should be able to find one in decent condition for less than $400. The little engines are darn near bullet proof and run well. Parts are still available (there aren't many). It wouldn't be the most efficient engine ever but the Redcrest/Seagull combination is a classic and would certainly set you apart from the crowd. *grin* It might cause you to speak with an accent and start drinking warm beer. *grin*

I had what I think was a Seagull 3 on a Cape Dory Typhoon back in the early 80s. I don't think I spent more than two hours a year on maintenance.

Regardless, pay a lot of attention to engine weight. Think hard about fuel tank or battery size, weight, and location in the dinghy.
aeventyr60 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I had an old seagull on a avon redcrest for awhile, damn thing was so loud it nearly made me deaf. Tough little motors. Get a Yamaha 2 of 3 Hp. Save you tons of trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
Seaman_3rdClass (07-08-2014)
Old 07-04-2014

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

We're using a 1959 Elgin, yes I said 1959. 2hp. Don't burn up the water, but we get where we want, and I'd guess it weighs less than 25 lb. Fairly simple, which is a good thing. I built a bag for it and the engine is stowed in a locker when not in use

An outboard mechanic once told me that the best thing for an OB is to use the 54!t out of it, and that seems to be true for the Elgin

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 07-04-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2014

Zarathu is on a distinguished road

Kinda depends on what you need to do, and how fast you want to get there. If you simply need to get out to your boat on a mooring, or to get to the shore on an anchorage, then a 40 lb. or 55 lb. thrust Electric motor with a series 24 battery will work fine. However, if you are on an extended cruise then you won't have any way to chart the battery. I mean, I know of people who use a 55 lb. thrust electric to get their 2500 lb. sailboat out of the mooring or slip because its slow but sure.

I have a 40lb thrust that I use on my kayak to get to and from the mooring which is about 200 yards from the dock. I also use it on the club dinghy to do the same. And, I have an attachment to use it as a backup for the 5 hp Honda 4cycle which is attached to the sail boat. But my boat only displaces 1200 lb.

It all depends on what you want to use it for, how fast you need to get there, and if you have a means to charge the battery if you use a battery. I did see someone at my club take an inflatable like yours and connect a 5hp just like mine to it. He had the dinghy bow 2 feet off the water.
Old 07-06-2014

SuperV is on a distinguished road

I have an older (78?) Evinrude 2-stoke on mine, which still work well after some mechanical work to replace the waterpump. Although 2-stokes have their drawbacks (noisy, use more fuel, have to mix fuel), i think in the long term the positives (simple to maintain/fix, less weight) outweigh the negatives. Unfortunately they are no longer sold new in the US, which is strange, since the new ones are environmentally a lot better than the old ones. As far as brand, I was thinking about going with a new Yamaha, since I can get that fixed anywhere in the world. I was looking at the less expensive Suzuki, but could nit find any indication of a world-wide support network such as the one Yamaha has. If you plan on going cruising,whatever you end up with should be maintainable in the areas you will be cruising. The electric motors seem nice, but I don't know you easily you can find parts. So for cruising I would get a small Yamaha 2-stroke outside the US.
Old 07-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperV View Post
The electric motors seem nice, but I don't know you easily you can find parts.

The fresh water electrics are so cheap that when they break you buy another one. It cost me $180 to just get minor service and parts repair done on my Honda 5HP, and I can buy a new 40 lb. thrust one for $149. Its easy to use a freshwater one on salt. Just rinse it with some fresh water after use, and regulary spray parts down with wd-40.

There's a thread here on doing that, with people have used the fresh water models in salt for many years without a problem.
Old 07-07-2014

Seaman_3rdClass is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the helpful replies!

Our use is mostly to get ashore after anchoring, so far only in the U.S. Northeast (ME, NH, MA, RI). After spending a couple of hours shuttling crew while rowing 300-400 yards to shore back and forth, I'm considering would would be the best option to do it more efficiently.

So, one is a freshwater trolling motor like the Minn Kota from West Marine
which you say would work fine even in saltwater, provided it's rinsed afterwards (e.g. with a cockpit shower or slip hose). It's only $149 new + a 12V battery.

Any idea how long a battery for this motor would last in terms of range, and how much it would weigh? The trolling motor is 30 Lbs. The battery must be another 20 at least, I'm guessing? Could it be charged like the house system batteries by the inboard motor, by swapping it with one of them?

I'm also considering old Johnson and Evinrude 2-3 HP 2-strokes, as these seem to be the cheapest, lightest and available in the area. Didn't see any inexpensive Yamaha 2HP outboards on the local craigslist. The 4-strokes seem to be at least $500.

If I have to row (don't mind the physical labor, more the time it takes with multiple trips with >3 people aboard), I was thinking of fashioning a rudder for the Redcrest out of PVC pipe, some fittings, and a piece of oar or paddle so I don't go in circles. Has anyone here built something like that? It seems pretty simple and theoretically should work well

I am also thinking of trying out a kayak paddle which I use with our canoe very efficiently, but I'm guessing on a flat bottom rubber dinghy it wouldn't work so well - unless it has a rudder. Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
I would suggest and recommend an old Evinrude or Johnson 2HP, 2 cycle - pretty much bombproof, weigh about 18 lb., parts still readily available (Bombardier Industries distribution network) ... and do show up on ebay from time to time.
Ditto. I prefer to row, but couldn't resist a 1.5 hp Evinrude (later became the 2hp) on CL for $180. At 18 lbs, I can easily carry it one handed and there's no external gas tank. I spent a bit of time cleaning it up, changed plug, impeller, gear oil, etc., and it fired up in a bucket in the garage on the first pull. Parts and the service manual were easy to obtain online. That saying "they don't make them like this anymore" really does seem to be true. It's a solid little motor.
Old 07-07-2014

Checdk out this thread here:

55lb thrust trolling motor for cheap :)
Old 07-08-2014

Seaman_3rdClass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
I had an old seagull on a avon redcrest for awhile, damn thing was so loud it nearly made me deaf. Tough little motors. Get a Yamaha 2 of 3 Hp. Save you tons of trouble.
Hello,
I am considering an old (1966) Seagull 40 Plus, 3HP, that went with the Avon Redcrest.
Can anyone tell me more about it? Are they unbearably loud? How is the reliability and ease of maintenance?
Thanks!

Tags
avon redcrest , dinghy , inflatable , motor , outboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.