Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Re: Best outboard motor for a small inflatable?

We have a Yamaha (it says "Mariner" but its really a Yamaha) 2hp. It is paired to our 8' Walker Bay inflatable with an air floor. The motor is a mod-1980s, so it is a two stroke.

We LOVE it. works great. Super Super simple - nothing to go wrong. No reverse or transmission - just turn it backwards to go in reverse.

This surely doesn't get the boat up on plane, for sure . . . but it putters along at a nice clip. VERY fuel efficient (but yes, you do have to mix oil).
christian.hess likes this.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2014

Seaman_3rdClass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
evinrude 3.3hp
I bought a long-shaft 1980s 4HP Evinrude, But it doesn't have the fuel line or the tank. What kind of fuel line do I need - would a universal one from West Marine and a regular 2.5 gal can do the trick?
Old 07-17-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman_3rdClass View Post
I bought a long-shaft 1980s 4HP Evinrude, But it doesn't have the fuel line or the tank. What kind of fuel line do I need - would a universal one from West Marine and a regular 2.5 gal can do the trick?
Yes. You just have to match the fuel hose diameter to the barb on the engine. Note that you'll end up with one of the new "EPA-compliant" ventless fuel tanks, so make sure you get the appropriate version of the universal fuel line.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
Seaman_3rdClass (07-18-2014)
Old 07-17-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road

One thing I've learned about those ventless fuel tanks is to always disconnect the fuel line from the engine after use. When the tank sits in the sun, it pressurizes and can force fuel past the float valve in the carb while the engine is off, leading to difficult starting and running later. Make sure you open the vent in the cap *before* re-connecting the line to vent the pressure for obvious reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to IStream For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

the new tanks, vent systems, flow meters, all that jazz are a nuissance I truly hate them

how hard is a simple knob vent? no it has to have safety features you know just in case you lose your brain somehwere...

take all measures to unfix what these guys(makers) are trying to fix for you...disconnect lines is a good one...

op so does your evinrude 4hp have an internal tank or not? if it doesnt go look for older smaller tanks with traditional vents and stuff...put an inline filter in the line with a bulb, double up on the clips and use some good quality hose line if you are anywhere near ethanol.

if you use your fuel sparingly a splash or seafoam each tank goes a long way in making life easier for you.

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the new tanks, vent systems, flow meters, all that jazz are a nuissance I truly hate them

how hard is a simple knob vent? no it has to have safety features you know just in case you lose your brain somehwere...

take all measures to unfix what these guys(makers) are trying to fix for you...disconnect lines is a good one...

op so does your evinrude 4hp have an internal tank or not? if it doesnt go look for older smaller tanks with traditional vents and stuff...put an inline filter in the line with a bulb, double up on the clips and use some good quality hose line if you are anywhere near ethanol.

if you use your fuel sparingly a splash or seafoam each tank goes a long way in making life easier for you.

cheers
I have one of the new "vent-in" only tanks on my Tohatsu 4HP 4 stroke & was concerned about the high pressure that developed when it was I the sun. I removed the little "one way in" valve from the tank cap.

However, after doing that it appeared that it was harder to start when cold. When squeezing the bulb I could hear bubbles in the tank. Not sure if the tank has to be “pressurized” before starting or what?
Once the engine started it ran fine.

Anyway, I bought a new $50 cap & the starting problem went away. If tank pressure is a concern, I would suggest just loosening the cap a bit, rather than modifying the one way valve as I did. An added benefit is not having to go to EPA jail if caught with a modified cap. If you loosen the cap, make sure no one sees you do it, fumes heap bad.

I have read the tank will vent outwards at about 5 or so pounds of pressure? All I know was that my tank was assuming the shape of a football when out in the sun.

Paul T
The Following User Says Thank You to dabnis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

I feel so bad for you guys with that epa fear...

seriously loosening a cap is suspicious? or ilegal?

man

yeah I wouldnt mod a new vent style thats why I though searching around for old small tanks would be a better deal

One question then you cant use old metal tanks and vents then up in the states or what?

Old 07-18-2014

Seaman_3rdClass is on a distinguished road

Quote:

cheers
No, it does not. That's why I can't even test it until I get a fuel line and a tank.

This may sound like a stupid question, but you guys are talking over my head a little bit with all these fine points on venting or not venting lines and caps, and I have zero experience with outboards.
Are we talking about a special marine fuel tank, or will a regular jerry can like one you use to carry extra gas (say 1 or 2.5 gal) do the job?
I don't necessarily want to invest another $150-200 bucks for a new fuel line and gas tank to find out the motor doesn't work, if I don't have to.
Old 07-18-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

OK, so this was sent to me yesterday and I opened it at work. Almost closed it immediately, for fear someone would hear/see it, but its was just sophomoric enough that I had to watch it to the end.

bratzcpa and christian.hess like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-18-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman_3rdClass View Post
No, it does not. That's why I can't even test it until I get a fuel line and a tank.

This may sound like a stupid question, but you guys are talking over my head a little bit with all these fine points on venting or not venting lines and caps, and I have zero experience with outboards.
Are we talking about a special marine fuel tank, or will a regular jerry can like one you use to carry extra gas (say 1 or 2.5 gal) do the job?
I don't necessarily want to invest another $150-200 bucks for a new fuel line and gas tank to find out the motor doesn't work, if I don't have to.
this is why I suggested looking for older used tanks...the usually come with a hose, bulb and you are ready to go...

since you havent tested the engine btw...it will more than likely require some sort of fix, be that a simple carb cleaning or plug changes etc...

search on craigslist for used tanks and stuff...

if you really dont want to spend any money since you dont know if the engine works or NOT...by pass the quick connect and hook up a hose and clamp it onto the pickup inside...

get a soda bottle and mix a small batch of 50.1 gas oil mix...mix it up well and start it in a big water tank...

that way you dont invest so much, you do however have to invest a little since you dont know if it works which is an issue.

Last edited by christian.hess; 07-18-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Tags
avon redcrest , dinghy , inflatable , motor , outboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.