Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Best outboard motor for a small inflatable?

if it starts and has a nice pee of water your good to go

get some seafoam and run it your first tank fulls....

you need to test in in the water...as loads will show signs of issues more clearly

sounds though that for now you are good to go.

if you need any help a simple(manual) carb cleaning is a simple thing to do...and will help.

btw you have just experienced one of the beatuies and PROS of old 2 strokes, they are anvils and simplicity at its best...dead reliable with dead simple maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christian.hess; 07-20-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
Seaman_3rdClass (07-20-2014)
Old 07-22-2014

Seaman_3rdClass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
if it starts and has a nice pee of water your good to go

get some seafoam and run it your first tank fulls....

you need to test in in the water...as loads will show signs of issues more clearly

sounds though that for now you are good to go.

if you need any help a simple(manual) carb cleaning is a simple thing to do...and will help.

btw you have just experienced one of the beatuies and PROS of old 2 strokes, they are anvils and simplicity at its best...dead reliable with dead simple maintenance.
Another update: I tested it in seawater this weekend. Amazingly, it continues to start pretty much right off the bat (fingers crossed), when I remember to put it in neutral. Went to a mooring ball about 1/2 of a mile, then did some shuttling of folks back and forth between two boats.

The push is not fierce - I expected more from a 4HP motor - but the motor sounds good (according to my more motor-savvy friend). Having the tank (6 gal metal, filled with 4 gal + oil) in the stern of the dinghy (Avon Redcrest) put the bow up quite a bit while towing the dinghy. When I shifted the tank to the bow, that seemed to balance it out, as it should, I suppose (the motor is ~50 lbs, the tank + gas is probably ~ 40lbs). I probably put too much gas in it to use it up this season, but I thought 1 gal in a 6 gal tank is too little for reliable fuel pickup.

A couple of questions for the dinghy experts - would you tow it with the motor up or down? More drag with motor down, I know, but it seemed less bouncy and more balanced. Or would you take the motor off except for very short hops? It's such a pain, though...

Also, when motoring in some 1+ foot chop, the bow of the Avon was getting lifted up and we were getting splashed a lot. It has a two-part home-made plywood bottom, with the bow part lifting up on a hinge). Would locking down the bow part of the bottom, e.g., with small bolt locks, help with that or make it worse?

Another friend suggested sticking a pool float noodle under the hard bottom to make it more V-shaped. I was thinking perhaps screwing a 2x2 to the bottom part of the bottom would help and make it more rigid. Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

yeah the v shape will help

Im a no tow guy with or wothout motor unless im in protected very protected waters where wind and or waves never get up high...

anything else its up pn deck or stowed...

having said that no issues for daysailing and putsing around...

that is a big motor and tank for your dinghy...when funds allow get a small one and make a strap to keep the tank in the bow to balance things out...

my dinghy is really small too with the mountable aluminum motor mount...my engine is smaller and much lighter I would guess than your 4hp, it also has no reverse....and also an internal tank...

its the perfect match really.

in any case the pool noodle is a great idea and I have seen it done where the bottom of the dinghy stretches with age and or the ply bottom is bendy...

(I posed your question on the diy ply floor thread where I asked about the hinges...if you look at original 3 peice ply bottom they have slats that squeeze together and then off to the side a long peice that keep it straight and prevent bends, however over time they always bend and the bow or dinghy become ushaped

check out this thread and you see the guy made a solid single piece which eliminated all possibility of flex

yes heavy and cumbersome but much better when in use...

but remember small dinghies are cumbersome and awkward so dont expect great performance out of them...

again congrats on the engine...always good to have one work like that

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seaman_3rdClass (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post

that is a big motor and tank for your dinghy...when funds allow get a small one and make a strap to keep the tank in the bow to balance things out...
Yes, but that's the only old tank I could find on CL at the time and it was $20 rather than $55 for a 3 gal one at West Marine, which have their EPA-related problems.

The motor seem built like a tank, except for the cover, which is light. The shaft though seems very solid compared to new motors of that size.

Btw, when I opened the cover, I found lots of sand and salt inside around the motor. Is that common for saltwater motors? I tried to vacuum out as much of it as I could.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 07-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

hmmm not really...if used in saltwater a lot and not rinsed you often get salt crystals and a white powder that develops around all alloys and stuff...

the sand probably means the engine was stored at one time in a windy beach area...(however and it is a common occurence when beaching dinghies a lot of times owners flip in the surf and the engine might have been dunked on the beach...)

its a possibilty....

not all owners cover them up...thats how you get cheap engines jajaja

if this is the case I would clean the intake and do a carb clean before using the engine more..reason being is if sand gets inside the cylinder it will gouge the walls, losen up the ring pressure and you will start losing power...and smoke more...

the thing is 2 strokes will still run and start easily despite this.... its just that you are low on power..this might be why you felt the lack of power for a 4 horse...

however a cheap rering and deglaze of the cylinder is less than 50 bucks for your engine...

about the tank I know thats what you found I remember advising to, but you had to test it first...now that you know it works you can save up or look for an ideal tank setup for your dinghy...

Seaman_3rdClass (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014

Ah, this makes sense. And it does smoke a bit, especially initially.
I thought the air filter would stop the sand from getting in, but I guess it doesn't have one. Or at least I couldn't find it, nor could I find an air filter on the internet for this Evinrude (E4RDHLCCS). I guess I'll have to buy the manual for it now so that I can properly maintain it, and look for a smaller tank....

Again, many thanks for all your helpful advice!
christian.hess likes this.
Old 07-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

my pleasure man...most old outboards dont have any sort of air filter element...and installing one unfortunately creates more issues, especially with rejetting...

those familiar with rejetting can tune the hell out of an outboard, ramming air, filters, etc...but it takes time

if it were me, a simple carb clean for now will make sure no further damage happens

if you want to get fancy you can install a wire mesh not too fine to prevent big stuff from being sucked in.but really ir your cowling seals the base well you are good to go.

the reason you dont see filter elements is your in the water using it so not a lot of dust and dirt can get in...however in certain areas(like the red sea for example there is a lot of sand in the air and a simple element can save your engine from sucking in dust) I know we took precautions with our dinghy engines and big diesel when motoring up it for example.

sand gets everywhere!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
avon redcrest , dinghy , inflatable , motor , outboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.