Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014

Seaman_3rdClass is on a distinguished road
Best outboard motor for a small inflatable?

Hello everyone,
My first post to Sailnet. I recently bought a used inflatable dinghy (an Avon Redcrest) for our sailboat, without a motor. We rowed it to get to shore in a calm bay, but it took quite a while and would be too much in rougher conditions, heavy currents, or farther from shore. Especially since it can only take about 3 large adults (700 Lb limit) and we usually have more people.

I was wondering what would be the appropriate, reasonably priced outboard motor for this dinghy. The dinghy has a rounded inflated stern, rather than a hard endboard, and an insertable rig to mount the motor on a small board. It has an insertable plywood board as its bottom. I believe the original outboard for it was a 2-stroke Seagull (British), but was advised to get a new-ish modern 4-stroke motor.

Any advice on models, prices, mounting, best place to get one etc. would be much appreciated as I'm pretty new to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Best outboard motor for a small inflatable?

The Redcrest is designed for a small motor and isn't really designed to hop up onto a plane. The Honda 2.3hp or Suzuki 2.5hp are good choices that weigh under 30lbs. The Honda has been made for well over 20 years (it was 2hp during most of that time) and can be found used for under $500 with a little looking.
Seaman_3rdClass (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

2 strokes are:
Cheap, light (hp/lb is high), fuel inefficient. Low maintenance. Usually requires oil mix in the petrol.

4 stroke
expensive, in particular smaller engines. Better fuel economy. Better for the environment.

Electrical
silent, cheap. Limited range - depending on battery. Somewhat low power, probably enough for your Avon.

So, depends on what you want, where you sail, how far & much you intend to use the engine.

/J
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaramaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2014
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

I'd had Redcrests for years and always used a 3.5 hp 2 stroke motor. From memory the Redcrest is rated to 4 hp max. Having said that, and because the motors tend to "tuck under" on a soft tail under load, I always felt the 3.5 was too much and I think they would be happier with a 2 to 2.5 hp.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially when carrying big loads, is that the Redcrest has small diameter tubes. This means that it is a very wet ride. I had one memorable occasion in mine where the boat had actually filled with water when in a choppy seaway with a few big bods aboard - it was like sitting in a bathtub! For this reason, I'd recommend a lightweight 2 stroke in preference to a 4 stroke as they are lighter and, I think, a little more tolerant to being exposed to the conditions they will experience on the back of the Redcrest.
The Following User Says Thank You to ReefMagnet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

evinrude 3.3hp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2014
Shanachie, Bristol 30

shananchie is on a distinguished road

I use a Yamaha 2hp 2-stroke on my 8-foot, wooden-floor inflatable. It will move you at 4 knots or so with a full load on the dinghy. While it won't get up on a plane, the outboard is easy to move with one hand (26 pounds or so) and has a self-contained gas tank.

If you get a chance to borrow longer oars from someone, try them out on your dinghy. Part of the problem is that the builders furnish you with oars that are too short to get much leverage. The longer oars make it much easier to row when you can't/don't want to motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to shananchie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2014

Seaman_3rdClass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaramaz View Post
2 strokes are:

Electrical
silent, cheap. Limited range - depending on battery. Somewhat low power, probably enough for your Avon.

So, depends on what you want, where you sail, how far & much you intend to use the engine.

/J
Thank you! I was thinking of a new trolling motor designed for saltwater, like a Minn Kota Riptide, as these are much cheaper even new ($240 + battery).

Most old gas outboards are at least $400 in my area, usually with unsolved problems.

Does an electric trolling motor like that have sufficient power to move a dinghy + 3 people along?

What would be the typical range of the battery it uses?

The use would be to get 100-500 yards from the sailboat to shore.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I have a 2-stroke Yamaha 2hp on my 7'6" Achilles. It also is only good for 3 people. I find the engine a good match to the boat and love the light weight (about 22 lbs). If you can find a good one used, I would seriously consider it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I have a 2-stroke Yamaha 2hp on my 7'6" Achilles. It also is only good for 3 people. I find the engine a good match to the boat and love the light weight (about 22 lbs). If you can find a good one used, I would seriously consider it.
I would suggest and recommend an old Evinrude or Johnson 2HP, 2 cycle - pretty much bombproof, weigh about 18 lb., parts still readily available (Bombardier Industries distribution network) ... and do show up on ebay from time to time.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 07-04-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaramaz View Post
2 strokes are:
Cheap, light (hp/lb is high), fuel inefficient. Low maintenance. Usually requires oil mix in the petrol.

4 stroke
expensive, in particular smaller engines. Better fuel economy. Better for the environment.

Electrical

/J
One more ..the Lehrer....propane driven

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Tags
avon redcrest , dinghy , inflatable , motor , outboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.