Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: I may try for a solo trip in Sept.

Only problem is using the head while under way LOL I just know someone will have binocs on me if I drop me shorts in the c-pit using a bucket! LOL I'd not want to one to be seeing that show!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Denise, I know that feeling - had to do this in the ICW with multi-million dollar homes on both shores, just 50 feet away, but nature doesn't give a damned - when you gotta go - you gotta go!

I sure hope you get down to my part of the bay, pay me a visit, and I'll be more than happy to mix you a Green Coconut Margaretta when you get here.

The neat thing about a trip to St Michaels is there are loads of neat places to drop the hook along the way once you get to Chesapeake Bay - especially along the bay's eastern shore. There's a few locations on the west side as well, but they're not nearly as sheltered.

Good luck, and I hope to see you then,

Gary
Old 07-03-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I love stopping at the cove on at Chesapeake city. up the hill for breakfast at the Bakery, I never not heard live music from the Inn.

Still pond's one of my fav places, and I love that spot on the sassafras "ordinary point"
Taking a mooring in the middle of Annapolis harbor and using the water taxi is a "10" in my things about I like about the Chessy

I love maritime museums, so it goes without saying I love St Mikes. Last time I was there we dropped the hook right across from the Museum.

Mmmm on Margaritas Gary!!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Take Hank..go to Cape May and Atlantic City

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-04-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Denise,

Are you going to motor, or sail? motoring since all I have is a rope self steer set up, I will slow from my normal 6 knots to around 3 or less, then the boat will usually hold its course a bit better or will not go off course as bad in a given amount of time as I am below using the head. If I have to do a 2, or have multiple layers, then I go slowest for the time it takes to do things.

If you have an actual self steering setup, all you may have to do is slow down while below per say.

Even going below getting some food, getting a chart, extra clothes as it starts to rain, clouds up etc, one has to worry about the above. Yeah potty stops are a bit more interesting than getting food. but both have the same logistics involved.

while my first post was a bit goofy, as others have said, go for it. But at the same time, while going for it, think about how things are done with another, and how you may need to do things by your self.

Another as I am typing. I use a "lock line" as It was bought for, which is a 50' long line on the bow when docking, I can pull this back to the cockpit where I am, a bit longer than normal for the aft, then you can hold, or hand off to a helper on the shore a lot easier than in my case, the 10-15' lines I use when docking at my slip. I've even gone thru the local locks from the puget sound into lk washington a number of times by myself. a bit more interesting than with two or three people, but doable if you take your time, think things thru etc.

Marty
Old 07-04-2014

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road

Denise30--We were members of the Columbus Yacht Club back in 1976(?). Made three trips down the Delaware. One was solo. I anchored and went. No big deal. It was a 23 foot Venture Newport. So you can just imagine trying to go to the bathroom. ANY WAY GOOOO! In the early 1970's we enjoyed visiting St. Michael's. We rented as houseboat. I long to return. Beautiful area. I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

Dot and John
Old 07-04-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

On the river it's a problem, I do have an auto pilot it's old, but does work. But even still on the river, it's tough to leave the helm for longer then a NY minute! LOL

To try and sail from here to the C &D has always been wasted effort. motoring or motor sailing and riding the tide down makes it about 11 - 14 hrs if one times it to be near the C &D at dead low or starting to rise tide.

my current "project"!
Old 07-04-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

If you feel competent to do the trip, go. Being seen, even stark naked, in my cockpit is way down my list of worries. For one, whom ever's looking doesn't know who I am, and if they do know me, they wouldn't be looking.
T37Chef likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-04-2014

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Go.

But file a float plan, and keep a handheld VHF on you at all times.

And jacklines and a harness are also very reassuring if it gets a bit bouncy - and sometimes even when it isn't!

Good planning beforehand gives you confidence and reassurance. I read once of a seasoned traveler, a great believer in planning and thinking things through beforehand, after an amazing journey. He was asked "Did you have any adventures?". He replied "No. Many wonderful experiences, some frightening; but no adventures".
Old 07-04-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

GO!

... and if you get ambitious, head up to Narragansett Bay!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems