Need tips on moving a small wooden Catspaw Dinghy from R.I. to CA - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014

PeppermintPatty5 is on a distinguished road
Need tips on moving a small wooden Catspaw Dinghy from R.I. to CA

Just wondering if this might be the place to get ideas on moving a wooden catspaw dinghy from Portsmouth R.I. to the Bay Area in California. Its dimensions are
12 ‘ Length /52 “ Width/ 26 “ Height

I would like to bring it West to live, where it can be repaired, rowed, and sailed again! Has anyone had any luck finding a cheap and safe ride for a small boat coast to coast? My brother said it actually fit inside one of those Conversion vans once. Thanks, Carol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2014
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
Re: Need tips on moving a small wooden Catspaw Dinghy from R.I. to CA

Try U-Haul if you are driving. It would also fit in a full size van. Lots of ways to skin a small boat. A car trailer also would work. Depends a lot on what else has to go and the money availiable for the project. It's a boat!!
Old 07-04-2014
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

You could cartop that.
Old 07-04-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Probably cheaper to sell it.. buy the kit and build another

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

It will never pay to incur a cost to move it, especially if it needs repair anyway. It's small enough, that it should fit with a UHaul, if you're moving anyway. However, before I spent money moving and fixing it, I would follow Denise's advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-04-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

or, cut it in half and reassemble it as a nesting dinghy when it gets to the new home

my current "project"!
Old 07-05-2014

Thanks, folks, for these ideas. It seemed to me pretty heavy to rooftop it, but maybe on a tough enough roof! I'd also be interested if someone has a spot in a truck already coming to CA sometime, to save costs. Carol
Old 07-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Check with the national freight haulers. They often have unsold room on cross country legs that can be relatively cheap. However, you likely need to get it to one of their depots and shrink wrap it, if not crate it. Still, it seems more money than it s worth.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-05-2014

Thanks for the advice about the unused part of someone else's freight trip... will look into that. And, also, for the timely recommendation about the Margaritas and how they "fix anything". (I'll look into THAT!) This is a boat built so lovingly by someone dear to me who died, and so its value is priceless. It's been sitting since his death and needs a transom replacement and a sprung plank reinstalled. There is an amazing boat repair workshop here in San Francisco that I'm hoping would work on it with me, if I can ever swing this. It's the SF branch of the folks that build them on the East Coast. So, it is of course not Sensible in any way to bring this boat from R.I. to the West Coast, but what I understand well about this site is that boats take on a special and sometimes outrageous role in many of our lives. This particular boat is the one I need! Thanks, everybody, Carol
theonecalledtom likes this.
Old 07-05-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

I know woman boat builder that hangs out here
theonecalledtom likes this.

my current "project"!