Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014

fiatracer163 is on a distinguished road
Help me please, advice also helpful

I'm not normally a guy who asks for help, but I am having a really bad day at work and need to digress. In doing so, I decided to start a social experiment to see how generous the common person is and see if others will help me quit my job and do what I really want to do. Please contribute to my day dream fund and your reward will be the feeling of helping a fellow sailor quit his job and sail away.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...away/x/8145597

Your comments are always welcome. Any donations of equipment will also help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014

weinie is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me please, advice also helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatracer163 View Post
I'm not normally a guy who asks for help, but I am having a really bad day at work and need to digress. In doing so, I decided to start a social experiment to see how generous the common person is and see if others will help me quit my job and do what I really want to do. Please contribute to my day dream fund and your reward will be the feeling of helping a fellow sailor quit his job and sail away.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...away/x/8145597

Your comments are always welcome. Any donations of equipment will also help.
Sorry, I just gave all my money to this guy who wants to make a new potato salad recipe:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...9/potato-salad
The Following User Says Thank You to weinie For This Useful Post:
fiatracer163 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014

I will also use the money to further the development of the ultimate sailboat potato salad recipe as I sail away...
Old 07-10-2014

Lemonshirt is on a distinguished road

Checked out the site. "Sailing away to Happiness"? ...as opposed to "running away" from....?
I cant tell you how many times I've fantasized about doing similarly. But family, friends, jobs, ...and ultimately ..reality kick in. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonshirt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014

I am in my early 30's and currently do not have kids or pets to hold me back, only a great wife who will be coming with me. Please donate and there might be a good potato salad recipe in it for you.

Last edited by fiatracer163; 07-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatracer163 View Post
I am in my early 30's and currently do not have kids or pets to hold me back, only a great wife who will be coming with me. Please donate and there might be a good potato salad recipe in it for you.
then you have no excuse to NOT follow your dream. If the job is as bad as you relate, then you have nothing to lose, and a lot to gain. You are still young enough to recover from any failure that may occur, yet old enough to enjoy the adventure immensely.

You could lose your job in the am, and you will be subject to the whims of others to recover. It would be best to do things on your terms, so call the wife and tell her she has a week to find a boat suitable to you both and with in your budget.

Then go visit the top 3 each of you have found. Pay attention to the wife, her comments and body language in particular.

You will find out whether this is something you both want to do. Buy the one she loves, and you like, get a survey and move aboard. OR walk away and return to your life. At least you looked at it seriously and decided to walk.

What ever you do, don't put off the choice, in hopes of the job or life or paycheck getting better. The times have changed and these things are subject to change badly, go away at any time. Seldom do they stay the same.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure.
Sabreman likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to kd3pc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014

The wife and I moved up from a Catalina 27 to a Person 323 this year. The boat needs some work, but we have taken it out a few times this year. The sails are old and blown out, and it needs new running rigging before we go. Other than the worn out items, it is very solid and well taken care of. This was confirmed by the survey I received before purchase. I'm sure the list will grow as we get going. As in any adventure, you never know what you need till it's broke. We are currently in Milwaukee and will need to take the locks down through Chicago to the Mississippi to the gulf. I'm sure by then the list will be much bigger.

First large step is done, find a boat that the wife loves and you like.

Last edited by fiatracer163; 07-10-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2014
Singlehander by Default

nighthawk is on a distinguished road

The first thin I thought was, "Sell the damn Fiat off and buy what you need to make the boat ready--then head out to the briny blue." At 30, you are still young enough to recover from the adventure if it turns out to be a mistake. You would be suprised how many of us reaching out fifties are now looking back and regretting not jumping off when we had the chance. At least you will be able to say you tried it! You only live once. And as Mark Twain says:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do.

So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor.

Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore.

Dream.

Discover.

Visit my blog--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
The Following User Says Thank You to nighthawk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014

I sold the Fiat back when I was in my 20's and had a choice to buy a touring motorcycle or a sailboat. That's how I ended up with the Catalina 27.

All I need is 500,000 people to buy my Potato Salad recipe, or three takers for the months long stay in my "Grand State Room".
Old 07-10-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

If you've read the thread "Voyaging on $500 per month" then you know it just doesn't take all that much money to sail away, forever. So quit your job, sell the house and car and start collecting alloy cans. You should be sailing in a week or two, depending on how much help your "great wife" is. And there's those little lead weights on the car tires....
christian.hess likes this.
fiatracer163 (07-14-2014)