Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
How do I handle insurance claims?

Well....not a great day. Riggers went up, tied a bad knot, mast comes down.

I've now got this mess to deal with as want to salvage what's left of my boat and my plans.

How many of you had had issues where you had to work with a comapany's insurance and what is the proper procedure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2014

Westsailforever is on a distinguished road
Re: How do I handle insurance claims?

Sorry to hear about that Mr. Beach . Iv'e never had to do what you say (dealing with the riggers insurance co.) if that's what you mean. If it were me I would go to my broker and give him all the info and let him deal with the other guy . I know your down I would be to , when you get down here I'll buy you a beer .
northoceanbeach likes this.
Old 07-11-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

so what happened and what exactly was damaged? is the mast a total loss?

so sorry this happened bud, unfortunately I dont have experience with filing insurance claims and the sort...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-11-2014

I don't think it looks like the mast was a total loss. Everything will have to be looked at and it's all still a mess. It broke and fell at the deck step. Ripped the boomvang out. Bent my pushpit a little. Cracked some fiberglass. A little. Damage to the boom. Now the boomkicker is more than "cosmetic".

But the mast didn't snap in half. It will have to be inspected. Especially at the shrouds. It can be good for anything to come crashing down.

Old 07-11-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Sorry!

If you have an own insurance then you should look into its conditions. Probably contact your insurance company to at least report the damages. It was an accident - this is essential wrt insurances.
Your insurance company should advise you on the way forward. It may be so that they will take this issue with the riggers insurances, as suggested earlier.
Takes notes, date these, from what happened and from all contacts. Just some few lines is much better than nothing. Take photos.

A damaged mast is nothing to re-use! Even if it looks only as a slight bend or something, these are indications of damages which very well may be more serious. Nothing one would like to rely on when things get though.

If worst comes to worst, and you have to pay for a mast replacement, then have a look on the second hand market. Good to have all necessary measurements already now.

ATB

/J
Old 07-12-2014

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

What others here have already said. Contact your own insurance company, and let them deal with whatever other parties may be involved. Don't agree to anything or make any deals with the other parties on your own.
Old 07-12-2014

Do I need to file a police report? Boat US says to file a police report if there are any property damages or injury.

I'm now understanding that an adjuster will come out and estimate the damages. If the damages exceed the total value of my boat it will be considered a "loss" and I will be given fair market value with a possible option for first "right of requisition".

I don't know what the damages are going to be yet. I think it will be really high, since every repair in the boat world costs a lot.

Is that about right? If so, how do I prove that the total rebuild of my boat, from new gel coat to paint, sails, rigging, electronics makes my boat valuable?

I'm going to hve to get used to boarding without putting my hand on the sail on the boom. My hand naturally wants to grab the boom.

Old 07-12-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

North.. Do you have an Insurance Policy?
Old 07-12-2014

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

You need to file a claim with your insurance company. If they require a police report it is only to rule out criminal intent. Do not sign anything, your insurance company will go to bat for you. Your insurance company will give you a choice to follow through with the claim or not.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 07-12-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear this. If you have insurance they have the expertise to deal with the rigger's insurance company. What to you and I are major problems are just daily business for them. I agree about not signing anything at this point.