SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing around the world on a Catalina 22 sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/153425-sailing-around-world-catalina-22-sailboat.html)

saldrich 07-15-2014 12:52 AM

Sailing around the world on a Catalina 22 sailboat

How possible do you think it would be to sail around the world on a Catalina 22.

You know. Buy the boat and fix her up real good.

Do you think it would make it the whole 30,000 miles?

capttb 07-15-2014 01:03 AM

Re: Sailing around the world on a Catalina 22 sailboat

Which way ? East-West or North-South ?

Spider0804 07-15-2014 01:13 AM

Just some stuff I have come across in my own research.

The smaller the boat you are in the bigger the waves will be compared to your boat.

Unless you plan really well and have some luck on your side you probably will encounter some rough seas along the way. You might be in trouble if you see 30 foot waves or greater if you manage to get near a storm.

I had a thread asking what size gave an ok saftey factor and it seemed to be atleast 27 feet with a 100 degree or more no recovery tip angle.

Fin keels / spade rudders can get ripped off if you hit something too so that is something to consider especially with the whole shipping container worry.

Another thing is water and fuel capacity, you will have to motor atleast a few times and a de salinator might not keep up with your water demand with the small panels you will fit on the boat.

The tank will have to take up the slack but small boats usually do not come with more than 15 gallons of water and if you are lucky the same amount for fuel.

You may be going a few weeks at a time without seeing land so you have to factor in if you can survive semi comfortably food and water wise for that time.

Someone gave me a really handy website for smaller blue water capable craft:

http://atomvoyages.com/planning/good...oats-list.html

If you go smaller you may be comprising safety and comfort in the name of cutting cost.

PBzeer 07-15-2014 05:10 AM

As possible as it is to go across the country on a skateboard. The question is, why would you want to?

SVAuspicious 07-15-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldrich (Post 2014329)
How possible do you think it would be to sail around the world on a Catalina 22.

People have made impressive passages on small boats.

If you need to ask this question you aren't ready.

For long-distance cruising on small boats try sailFar.net .

Go sailing.

Captainmeme 07-15-2014 10:29 AM

Why stop at 22? How about a Sunfish or a sailboard? Now there is a challenge.

Mr. Bubs 07-15-2014 11:40 AM

Go for it. I plan on circling the planet in my Macgregor 25 death machine.

BarryL 07-15-2014 11:57 AM

Hey,

It would be very simple to sail around the world on a Catalina 22.

Just haul the boat, put it on a trailer, and load the whole rig onto a freighter.

There you go!

Barry

TQA 07-15-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldrich (Post 2014329)

Smaller boats have circumnavigated. See Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

But it depends a great deal on the skipper, Webb Chiles or Shane Acton would most likely make it round, don't know about you.

If you are interested in small boat circumnavigations Shrimpy by Shane Acton is required reading. It was a frequent source of inspiration for me.

I owned a swing keel Catalina 22 [Jaguar 22] and sailed it around the West coast of Scotland and down the Adriatic. I liked it and it was a great little coastal cruiser. Offshore in bad conditions, I am not so sure, that is a big cockpit if it gets filled.

Minnesail 07-15-2014 02:17 PM

It's not around the world, but I do plan on taking my C22 on Lake Superior.

I've only been sailing it for a little over a month now, but I did manage to get it out on my little local lake this high wind day:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-m...1.48.03+AM.jpg

And it handled great! It was exciting, but never scary, and we were always in control. My main is old and I don't yet have the proper controls to get it as flat as I'd like, so I imagine with a little fixing there even much stronger winds would be fine.

It is waves that would worry me. I'm on a small lake, so even with 30mph winds there are no waves of any height. It seems like it wouldn't take much of a wave to overwhelm a C22. Less than an 8' beam and only 25% ballast. And since mine is a swing keel if you did get knocked down much past horizontal there's a chance that the keel could slam back up.

So anyway. I don't think *I'd* take a C22 around the world. But if you do, please let us know how it goes! :)