SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (
-   -   Warning!!!!!! (

Slayer 07-16-2014 07:05 PM

Just got my Garmin 78sc. I just want to share some of the "Battery Warnings"

Thank God I read these before using. (emphasis added)

1. Do not puncture or INCINERATE the device or batteries. (And I had my grill all fired up!)

2. Never put batteries in mouth. If swallowed, contact a physician or poison control center. (Just when I said how stupid can a person be, my gf who is a nurse said people have come into the ER for swallowing batteries...WTF!)

chuck53 07-16-2014 07:23 PM

Re: Warning!!!!!!
it's called CYA...cover your ass. They're there for the same reason my new oven had in the owner's manual, "Do not store gasoline in this appliance"

Minnesail 07-16-2014 07:37 PM

I bought a mandoline (the slicey thing, not the musical thing) and it came with a warning that it was not to be used in cribs.

Well there go my dreams of training an infant to julienne carrots.

eherlihy 07-16-2014 07:39 PM

Captainmeme 07-16-2014 09:30 PM

Hey I have nothing against stupid people, all I'm saying is remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

scratchee 07-16-2014 09:53 PM

After many years of reading warning labels, it is clear to me that almost nothing can be used in the shower.

Slayer 07-16-2014 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by scratchee (Post 2019529)
After many years of reading warning labels, it is clear to me that almost nothing can be used in the shower.

Or high tension wires.

hellosailor 07-17-2014 01:22 AM

"2. Never put batteries in mouth. "

I think Garmin need to get some professional medical advice and recall those manuals. Just about every hospital ER can tell you that the mouth is only one of several orifices they've had to extract batteries from. And probably the easiest one.

I guess it could be worth a million dollars to say "But Garmin never told me not to put batteries there, they only said not to put them in my mouth!"

DRFerron 07-17-2014 09:47 AM

Not a warning label but I got a kick out of the mini Kit Kat candy bar. Printed on the wrapper are directions to open the wrapper. I like to tempt fate by opening from the opposite end.

hellosailor 07-17-2014 03:54 PM

Wait a minute, a candy bar food, that presumably will be possessed by hungry children, and the warning label doesn't have pictures on it, so the kids who can't read yet can understand?

I'd call that a dangerously defective warning statement, since it is in a language that the kids can't read.

Quickly, let's find some disposable kids and make another million bucks.

"WARNING: This package contains food and food has been found by the FDA to cause death in every person consuming it."