Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014

Evongelo is on a distinguished road
Help me find my boat please.

I am looking for a Bluewater sailboat between 38' and 45' for the use of: living on, sailing long distances, circumnavigation, with as little as one person and at the most four people.

I like a rustic, traditional look with lots of wood being preferable. I do not want luxury, in fact, the more bare bones and rough the better (rustic and cozy not sleek and modern).

My price range would be anywhere from 50,000 to 150,000 with the lower end of that range being preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2014

Re: Help me find my boat please.

I've never sailed in my life. This is a dream. I am collecting all the information I need right now and from what I've learned so far you need something between the dimensions I stated for circumnavigation. As I am not a rich man, I want to buy once. I wouldn't try to sail around the world for years to come but when the time is right I want to already own the boat needed for such a task.
Old 07-17-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Buy yourself a dingy or small keelboat for <$5000, learn to sail on it, and start to learn the things that go with maintaining a sailboat. There are lots of threads on here about which boats are good starters. A small boat will be more responsive and speed up your learning curve. Then sell it for about what you paid for it, and you're no worse off, except that you'll know how to sail, and have a much stronger idea what features you like and don't like in a boat.

Then you can start talking meaningfully about buying "the big boat."

Oh, and wood boats are a lot of work. BTDT.
Old 07-17-2014

I didn't even think about that!!! I just found dozens of boats between 10 and 25' listed for sale all under 5,000 dollars I could freakin buy in six months!!! Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

I still want my first inquiry answered though please. If anyone could throw some maker names and models my way that I could log away for future reference I'd really appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

The good plastic boats come with nice cozy wooden interiors :-) Don't confuse cozy and even rustic with lack of luxury - do you really not want a head, stove, fridge, lights?

The discussion of traditional vs. modern designs for offshore and short-handed sailing has been well covered on this site.

You can go read Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org just to start to get an idea of how many designs there are out there in your general category.

But you will be more qualified to think about the tradeoffs with some miles under your keel.
Old 07-17-2014
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Plenty of boats in that category. Where are you based?

I would suggest starting off by reading through John Neal's blue water boat list, his boat advice and suggestions.

Get yourself some basic sailing lessons.

While looking at John's site below also check ou doing a training passage with him. It will give you a great start towards gaining offshore experience and confirming that your dream is a good fit for you.

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

Best of luck, it is a great dream. Hope to see you out there one day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2014

Thanks for another post. I live in Arizona, which has no coast, but I'm 3 hours from San Diego and my mother lives in Orlando which is 45 minutes from the gulf so I have options. I'm also going to be in the Coast Guard after my stint in the Marines so sooner or certainly later I'll be living on the coast.

If I had my way I would begin my sea fairing experience on the gulf in Florida but if I wait till I'm in the Coast Guard then it would likely be New England.
Old 07-17-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

I saw your post on another thread-I am a long time dreamer, too. I will never forget the first time I was checking the nets in a little john boat when I saw regatta going down the river, with all of those beautiful spinnakers! I knew someday that would be me, at any cost.
As nice as it would be to jump in feet first and get a big boat and just start sailing, it might be overwhelming. Go small and cheap first.
I like your Coast Guard idea. You can get so much useful experience while learning things that would apply to your circumnavigation- navigation, systems maintenance, etc, all while getting PAID. And you can retire at an early age.
But since we are in the dreaming stage, there are a lot of nice traditional boats on this site:
http://bluewaterboats.org/alberg-37/

I like the Alberg 37, but there are a lot of boats on that site. Also, welcome to Sailnet. This site is awesome.

Last edited by FirstCandC; 07-17-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-17-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

If your goal is to only buy once (rarely happens, especially if you buy a boat knowing nothing) and you currently don't know how to sail, you are nowhere near ready to make an informed decision about which boat to buy. We can throw all sorts of boat names at you but at this point they mean nothing. There is much more to it than choosing a Chevy over a Ford.

Learn some stuff, first and most importantly how to sail and how to listen to those more experienced than you. As you learn to sail and learn everything that goes along with boat ownership, I can almost guarantee that you'll refine and redefine your future plans. And there's nothing wrong with that. Or with dreaming as you're doing now.

Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-17-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road

Don't let being in AZ stop you, there are over a 100 sailboats at Lake Pleasant and a sailing school where you can get ASA 101 and 103 certified and rent Catalina 22's and 25's to your hearts content.....

Help me find my boat please.-dock3.jpg

Help me find my boat please.-more-sailboats.jpg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.