Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Describe your tyical daysail if you would.

Second year with my new to me Tartan 30 and tomorrow I am taking out my first guests (kind of(cept for a close friend)). My mother in law, who is cool and her boyfriend. I am just wanting it to be fun for them and am curious what other folks do on a typical day sail on the lake? Appreciate any comments/advice. Looking like 2-3 mph gusting to 5 as far as wind. I told them there was a low wind warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Describe your tyical daysail if you would.

For me, a successful sail with guests, no matter how long, starts with the planning about a week ahead of time. I make sure the menu works for everyone, the boat is clean, there are extra sheets and pillows on board just in case. For a daysail I like to have our food/ice/beverages/etc. loaded before they arrive so their time on the water is maximized. I usually plan to sail/motor within a couple hours of the marina. This allows time to get the sails up if conditions allow but not have to motor too far if there is no wind, anchor for lunch and get back to the marina in plenty of time so guests don't have to rush home. Especially since first timers don't realize how tired they will be after a day on the water and our marina is quite a drive for all of our friends. I try to find someplace scenic and if anyone has a propensity towards seasickness, an anchorage that's protected to hopefully give him/her a chance to recover in calm water before the return sail/motor.

My general rule is that the first time you're on our boat, there is no need to bring anything or do much other than enjoy the sail.

I also let them know that as amazing as we are, we don't yet control the weather. I start checking the weather three days ahead. The night before if I decide the weather may be iffy I let them know and give them the chance to back out and go another time or take a chance that they won't be leaving the dock. Fortunately, Rock Hall has plenty to do even if we're tied to the dock so it's usually not a wasted trip for anyone regardless of weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 07-19-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2014

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Gee Donna, can I come out with you guys next time.
Extra pillows and blankets.
Even a menu.
Sounds pretty nice.
T37Chef and Andrew65 like this.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 07-19-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I expect a mint on my pillow.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-19-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Typical day sail for me is to leave the dock about 10 a.m., (I'm too old and lazy to get out of bed at the crack of dawn. Fire up the tin Lizzy, motor down the Havre de Grace channel, (only when the wind's blowing out of a southerly direction), put up the sails, and head southeast on a close haul or beam reach, depending on the normal summer wind direction. Most of the time, the wind's not blowing more than 10 to 12, which provides me with speeds to 6 or 7 mph, not much heeling, a very comfortable ride.

Next, I give the helm to one of the beautiful ladies onboard, go below and mix them a Green Coconut Margaretta, break out some snack food, chips, crackers, dip, smoked salmon, etc..., then relax in the cockpit while they leisurely sail down the bay.

Then we find a sheltered anchorage, I fire up the gas grill, grill some burgers, Kielbasa, saute some onions and peppers and serve them lunch, along with a second Green Coconut Margaretta.

If the wind cooperates, we'll turn back toward Havre de Grace, sail up the channel and hopefully make it back to the marina before dark, I'll button up the boat, kiss the ladies goodbye, and drive home after one more wonderful day on the water.

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 07-19-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

We have a lot of barrier islands, located 8 -12 miles offshore. A typical daysail is to sail out to one of them, anchor, eat some lunch, maybe go ashore and walk on the beach for a little while, and then up anchor and have a leisurely sail back home. And, sometimes, just stay and spend 1, 2 or 3 days.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-19-2014

scratchee is on a distinguished road

I will quite often wrap up a day sail by anchoring within 15 minutes motoring distance of our slip, and sometimes this ends up being the best part of the trip. If you end up with low winds, consider anchoring in a nearby scenic spot and just enjoying the quiet.
Old 07-20-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I expect a mint on my pillow.
First sail you're a guest. subsequent sails, you get to help make the magic happen: load supplies, tote ice, fill the water tanks, and if you are a Coors Lite (or similar) drinker, buy your own (and take any left over off the boat with you).

When I sailed on Melissa's (Melrna) boat, she really did put chocolates on the pillows.

To a certain point we view the boat as an extension of our home. If I invite you over to spend the day by the pool, I don't expect you to help pay for chlorine or clean the house.

I do like to make people feel welcome on the boat and one of the first lessons I learned that stuck with me was that there is no reason to serve bad food. Good food doesn't have to equal expensive or complicated to prepare if you know how to cook. Some things can be prepared ahead of time. I've made a big pot of beef stew the night before, duct taped the lid on to transport, and re- heated it on the boat the next day.

On the other hand, if we're invited on someone else's boat, knowing what goes into sailing it, we have no problems helping out however we can. Your boat, your way of doing things, NOT a problem. John will even drink your Budweiser (I'm not really a beer drinker).
chall03 and tomandchris like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 07-20-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

For a daysail with guests we are a bit like Donna in that we like to be prepared and put the focus on a good time without too much stress.
Ideally a short upwind sail in the morning, lunch at anchor somewhere nice( fire up the grill), swimming, a walk ashore then relaxed downwind sail home.

I like to give a relaxed but proper safety briefing as well. I like to give guests a stint on the helm because there is nothing more magic than seeing the glint in their eyes as they start to realise this is pretty special.

It sounds like you will not have much wind. Good food, good company, a bottle of something nice and let mother nature does the rest

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 07-20-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

A daysail for me is more about the sailing and less about a party. I'll typically bring along some basic snacks (chips and guac, carrots and hummus, that sort of hand food) and maybe a 6 pack if it is appropriate for the people aboard. Often guests bring snacks, last weekend two friends brought watermelon and some homemade baked goods that were excellent.

I show up about 30 minutes before the proposed meeting time and make sure that the boat is pretty tidy, remove the sail covers, and rig the main halyard and spinnaker sheets.

Before going I show everyone where the PFDs are and figure out everyone's sailing experience. We motor out past the breakwater and put fenders and docklines away at that time. A typical 3-4 hour sail has us head southwest along Bainbridge Island until you get a nice view of downtown Seattle or beam reach across to Port Madison and duck into Hidden Cove. We might hove-to for a few minutes to enjoy the view and some snacks, then head back across.

I like to give guests the chance to steer while I handle sail trim. If the winds are light we'll often fly the spinnaker on the way back.

Once back at the marina we put the boat away. I sometimes stay around afterwords and give it a quick rinse.

There is no chocolate on our pillows for a day sail. There are rarely pillows for a day sail, I keep the boat cushions at home when we aren't cruising.
PaulinVictoria likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.