Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: Music Etiquette at the Dock

where we sail you cannot BBQ on your boat in a marina. You have to use shoreside BBQ. Could be that was what they were looking at.
I like the rule because I cannot imagine liking the neighbors ribs or fish smell if my boat is open. Rarely in the marina are you far enough away from others to share your music or BBQ.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

My "sound system" consists of one of those very compact, battery powered ipod speakers. It looks a lot like the picture I've attached here. I hang it from the hatchway lock hasp while underway.

I've gone from planning to install an elaborate stereo, to using a really nice boom box, to my current very compact and modest system. While I love and listen to music as much as ever (I'm a former semi-professional musician), I find that don't really want to hear music while I'm sailing. I really enjoy the peace and quiet, or the conversation of my companions. I will sometimes get the thing going while at anchor or at a mooring so we have some background music while we talk/eat/drink, but even that is somewhat rare. My kids sure don't want to hear my music; my wife is sometimes not too keen on my musical taste either. I find that I am now using it mostly at the dock while I putter away at some task or another. After reading this thread, I will be more circumspect about the volume.
Attached Thumbnails
Music Etiquette at the Dock-41ym8l-3gml__sx425_.jpg  
Dave_E likes this.
Old 07-24-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Mstern, when you play music every day for a living, the peace and serenity of just sailing along is all you need - the music stays in your head all the time anyway, so you really don't need a sound system blaring.

Gary
davidpm likes this.
Old 07-24-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
My "sound system" consists of one of those very compact, battery powered ipod speakers. It looks a lot like the picture I've attached here. I hang it from the hatchway lock hasp while underway.

I've gone from planning to install an elaborate stereo, to using a really nice boom box, to my current very compact and modest system. While I love and listen to music as much as ever (I'm a former semi-professional musician), I find that don't really want to hear music while I'm sailing. I really enjoy the peace and quiet, or the conversation of my companions. I will sometimes get the thing going while at anchor or at a mooring so we have some background music while we talk/eat/drink, but even that is somewhat rare. My kids sure don't want to hear my music; my wife is sometimes not too keen on my musical taste either. I find that I am now using it mostly at the dock while I putter away at some task or another. After reading this thread, I will be more circumspect about the volume.
Quote:
After reading this thread, I will be more circumspect about the volume.
As Martha Stewart would say, "That is a good thing", thank you.

Paul T
davidpm likes this.
Old 07-24-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Now if we can just get people to stop throwing trash out the windows of their cars, and incidentally over the side. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
As Martha Stewart would say, "That is a good thing", thank you.

Paul T
Keep in mind my very compact stereo has some pretty severe built-in volume limitations, so it's not like I'm making a big sacrifice!
Old 07-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Mstern, when you play music every day for a living, the peace and serenity of just sailing along is all you need - the music stays in your head all the time anyway, so you really don't need a sound system blaring.

Gary
Amen brother. Btw, have you ever played the Lobster Shack in Branford, CT? I ask because there was a guy playing the Shack awhile ago who looked like your avatar picture.
Old 07-24-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road

It all has to do with the atmosphere of the marina and who is around. Use a little judgment. At the dock over, there is this own power boat that always comes back from the playpen on Saturdays and Sundays jamming their club music as loud as you ever heard from a boat. It is not the standard marine stereo. It is obnoxious, but it doesn't really bother me.
Old 07-24-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The only way to get people to stop throwing trash out of their cars is to enforce the laws pertaining to that like they do in Washington and Oregon - they fine your @ss $1,500 for each offense and after three offenses, you get a couple weeks in jail.

In Washington, at least when I live there in the late 1960s, they had enforcement folks that went out, looked for highway litter, and figured out who dumped it. They actually went through trash bags on the side of the road, took out the contents and traced the trash back to the people that dumped it. They took them to court, and more often than not, after paying the fine, the judge would frequently sentence them to a couple weekends of picking up trash along the highways with the prisoners from the local detention center and jails. They were not real happy about that, and they had to wear a prison uniform.

Repeat offenders were very few and far between, and during the three years I loved in Spokane, Washington, I never once saw any litter on the side of the roadways.

Additionally, I fished many, many of the lakes and rivers there - they were clean, clear and never had any trash on the shorelines.

I cross Conowingo Dam on the way to my boat each week and if you look just above the dam the cove on the west shore is filled with debris of all descriptions, including several 55-gallon plastic drums, plastic buckets, and huge quantities of plastic water bottles. I would think it would be fairly easy to track those plastic drums, but no one times the time to do this here - they just pick them out of the water and take them to the landfill.

Gary
davidpm likes this.
Old 07-24-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

We don't use marinas at all these days, but when we did, I found most intelligently run marinas will scatter the liveaboards around the marina as an aid to security. But unlike the weekend sailor, our boat is our home, and though I would never intentionally bother others with my music or video noise, I'm going to be comfortable in my home.
At anchor, again, in my home, I will play my music loud enough to be heard where ever I'm working on deck in the daytime, or in the evenings in the cockpit. We almost ALWAYS anchor beyond the last boat, so it's not like we squeeze into the middle of the crowd and disturb everyone. The genset is absolutely indispensable to most of us who cruise, and I feel absolutely no guilt if someone anchors down wind of me. There are usually plenty of spots to windward of us and the second, smaller exhaust on the transom should indicate to any observant skipper that I have, and use a genset.
I've always said that one of the greatest perks of living on a boat is that if you don't like your neighbors, you can move, without packing a single box! It makes a heck of a lot more sense to pick up your anchor and move to another spot in the anchorage, than piss, moan and fume all night about something you can't do diddly about. We all must share the anchorages, but though I do not enjoy the clatter of portable generators around me, I respect the need of those who use them. Down here in the Caribbean, where you often share anchorages numerous times over the year with the same boats, we make note of those who do run noisy portable generators, and usually don't anchor near them again.
I find the cheap, noisy windgens much more intolerable to have around, because, unlike a portable generator, the noisy, cheap windgens make life miserable for everyone around them, 24 effing hours a darned day! There otta be a law!