Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014
Full-time Liveaboard

CaptainChaos is on a distinguished road
Re: Music Etiquette at the Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We almost ALWAYS anchor beyond the last boat, so it's not like we squeeze into the middle of the crowd and disturb everyone. The genset is absolutely indispensable to most of us who cruise, and I feel absolutely no guilt if someone anchors down wind of me. There are usually plenty of spots to windward of us and the second, smaller exhaust on the transom should indicate to any observant skipper that I have, and use a genset.

I find the cheap, noisy windgens much more intolerable to have around, because, unlike a portable generator, the noisy, cheap windgens make life miserable for everyone around them, 24 effing hours a darned day! There otta be a law!
Yes, a genset is very useful on a cruising boat but I still think quiet hours should be observed. Run it during the day if you need to recharge batteries, run the AC during the hottest part of the day, etc. but at night please let those of us that wish to enjoy the quiet of the night have our time, as well.

s/v Wanderlust
Passport 545
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I'm installing a genset this year, mainly because my lungs are shot to Hell and it makes breathing a lot easier when I can run the boat's AC system. The one I'm looking at is the Ryobi 2200, which sells for half the price of the Honda 2000, has better specs and is only slightly louder in DB. It also has an idle feature, which allows the generator to drop to idle speed when there is no load. Generally, it's quiet enough to hold a conversation at normal level within 10 feet of the generator running full power. I like that.

I'll have to build a special platform for it on the boat's stern, something similar to a swim platform. I know guys that hang them from the stern rail, but I'm not happy with that arrangement, and I think the platform would provide better protection from exhaust fumes coming into the cockpit. I do, however, highly recommend installing an explosive gas alarm in the cabin, just to be on the safe side. The alarm detects all gasses, including carbon monoxide, even in the tiniest amounts. The alarm is loud enough to wake you from a deep sleep.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 07-24-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

The thing about music is that not everyone around has shares your taste.

So, the balls in your court whether to show neighbors respect or disrespect. I love my music at the dock, too, but if someone gives me just one look, I'll turn it down or off in a heartbeat. Fortunately my immediate neighbors and I all tolerate and enjoy whatever is turned up.

I wish this was the case for the drunk fisherman and his fat bellied buddies who flip on blue tuna-tower LEDs at night and blast pandora country radio - with commercials no less.
davidpm likes this.
Old 07-24-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
Yes, a genset is very useful on a cruising boat but I still think quiet hours should be observed. Run it during the day if you need to recharge batteries, run the AC during the hottest part of the day, etc. but at night please let those of us that wish to enjoy the quiet of the night have our time, as well.
There is a HUGE difference between a genset and a portable generator, unless you have a cat with the exhaust between the hulls. If you can hear mine run at all, you will hear the water coming out of the exhaust only, not the engine. As I said, if someone chooses to anchor downwind of me, then it's on them, if the genset exhaust bothers them, but w/o the genset, I don't get a hot meal in the morning and evening, never mind refrigeration and battery charging.
Old 07-24-2014
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I'm installing a genset this year, mainly because my lungs are shot to Hell and it makes breathing a lot easier when I can run the boat's AC system. The one I'm looking at is the Ryobi 2200, which sells for half the price of the Honda 2000, has better specs and is only slightly louder in DB. It also has an idle feature, which allows the generator to drop to idle speed when there is no load. Generally, it's quiet enough to hold a conversation at normal level within 10 feet of the generator running full power. I like that.

I'll have to build a special platform for it on the boat's stern, something similar to a swim platform. I know guys that hang them from the stern rail, but I'm not happy with that arrangement, and I think the platform would provide better protection from exhaust fumes coming into the cockpit. I do, however, highly recommend installing an explosive gas alarm in the cabin, just to be on the safe side. The alarm detects all gasses, including carbon monoxide, even in the tiniest amounts. The alarm is loud enough to wake you from a deep sleep.

Good Luck,

Gary
If you can find a water cooled generator or a genset to install you would probably be a lot happier in the end, if this is something you are going to use a lot.
A few extra dollars spent now could make a huge difference in livability aboard and just not having to deal with gas is worth a lot to many of us. A used RV Onan can be had pretty inexpensively and adding a heat exchanger (but at our age, even salt water cooled, it would probably out last our boating lifespan) and s/w pump, could be done simply and cheaply. Your neighbors would definitely appreciate it.
davidpm likes this.
Old 07-24-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
... then it's on them, if the genset exhaust bothers them, but w/o the genset, I don't get a hot meal in the morning and evening, never mind refrigeration and battery charging.
Oh dear....

a. No hot meal. No propane or diesel?

b. The refrigeration is that power greedy?

My stove, microwave, and fridge work just fine without generator. Huh?

----------

I guess my standard for quite in an anchorage once the sun goes down is different. Dead quiet. And the notion that I have the right to change that for others is, well, greedy. The notion that someone else should have to move because of me is greedy. The more crowded the anchorage the more it falls to each of us to go above and beyond to be polite.

I'm sure your genset is quiet. I doubt it is dead quiet. As for what is down wind, that changes by the hour in many places and so is a frivolous defense.
CaptainChaos and WGEwald like this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Capta. do you have a link? I would install one, if, and only if, I can find room in the engine room and if it's under $600. I hope I do not need to use it very often, and in the Florida Keys, I had to tie up to the dock to obtain shore power so I could keep the humidity level down in the boat to protect my music gear, and of course, so I could breath easier without the use of steroidal inhalants. Gettin old ain't fer wimps and sissies.

Gary
Old 07-24-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

If you were a good judge of paradise you could be where the air is cool, dry and pleasant and the people polite and considerate .
Old 07-24-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Wear earbuds...they cant hear you....and you cant hear them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-24-2014
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Oh dear....

a. No hot meal. No propane or diesel?

b. The refrigeration is that power greedy?

My stove, microwave, and fridge work just fine without generator. Huh?

----------

I guess my standard for quite in an anchorage once the sun goes down is different. Dead quiet. And the notion that I have the right to change that for others is, well, greedy. The notion that someone else should have to move because of me is greedy. The more crowded the anchorage the more it falls to each of us to go above and beyond to be polite.

I'm sure your genset is quiet. I doubt it is dead quiet. As for what is down wind, that changes by the hour in many places and so is a frivolous defense.
I am so happy for you that you never have to run a generator, but some of of us just don't have all the modern systems available today. As a matter of fact, when my boat was built, it was against USCG regs to have propane aboard any boat for hire.
As for the wind shifting, you've obviously spent little or no time in the Caribbean, as you can probably count the days a year when the wind isn't easterly, on the fingers of one hand. Anyway, I certainly won't be bothering you in MD.
But I don't really understand why are you even bothering to respond to my post. You would be anchored in ten feet of water up by the beach, with all the other cats, probably half a mile to windward of me. So let's get real here, you certainly wouldn't be able to hear anybody's portable generator, let alone someone's genset, at that distance, up wind. You'll just have to come up with some other excuse for having another sh*tty evening in paradise.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.