Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: Music Etiquette at the Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
You folks have obviously not met the owners of these kinds of boats... our WHOLE lake gets to listen, because they usually run about 200+ watts, because you know the wake boarder has to be able to hear it (over the 5000+ hp motor)...
AUUGGHHH@@!!!!!!! Don't get me started. There's a section of beach (and I'm not tellin' ANYONE where it is) that you can only get to on land by hiking a few miles. My wife and I love this spot, and it's worth the drive and the hike. Pretty much deserted... totally quiet, and everything else that goes along with totally deserted. 'Nuff said..

Once last year when we were there, a dead ringer for the boat SHNOOL posted drives up and anchors about 100' away from us, BLASTING the worst noise (like Gary, as a musician, I can't find much music in hip hop.. last I checked, music usually consists of melody, harmony, and rhythm..... not just one of those). Mr. Mid-Life-Crisis eventually waddled a-shore with his bimbo-du-jour in tow to hang on the beach about 30' feet from us.. even though there was a mile of beach available. Fortunately, he was able to crank up his sound system loud enough so it STILL sounded like we were all on the boat with our heads shoved in the woofers. Goody. Thankfully, that's only happened once, but WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE?!?!?? How can anyone be so self-centered?

(rant off)

Barry

Edited to add the following..

Now that I've read my post, I can see how it could sound like I was the self-centered person. It's not my beach, I don't own it, and who am I to tell THEM how they should enjoy the beach. Yeah... I can see the other side. I guess I should just say that I can't imagine foisting myself and my taste in music on anyone who's obviously tried to find a place to be alone with his wife. I still think it was rude... but maybe it's just me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

Last edited by bblument; 07-25-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2014
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
AUUGGHHH@@!!!!!!! Don't get me started. There's a section of beach (and I'm not tellin' ANYONE where it is) that you can only get to on land by hiking a few miles. My wife and I love this spot, and it's worth the drive and the hike. Pretty much deserted... totally quiet, and everything else that goes along with totally deserted. 'Nuff said..

Once last year when we were there, a dead ringer for the boat SHNOOL posted drives up and anchors about 100' away from us, BLASTING the worst noise (like Gary, as a musician, I can't find much music in hip hop.. last I checked, music usually consists of melody, harmony, and rhythm..... not just one of those). Mr. Mid-Life-Crisis eventually waddled a-shore with his bimbo-du-jour in tow to hang on the beach about 30' feet from us.. even though there was a mile of beach available. Fortunately, he was able to crank up his sound system loud enough so it STILL sounded like we were all on the boat with our heads shoved in the woofers. Goody. Thankfully, that's only happened once, but WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE?!?!?? How can anyone be so self-centered?

(rant off)

Barry

Edited to add the following..

Now that I've read my post, I can see how it could sound like I was the self-centered person. It's not my beach, I don't own it, and who am I to tell THEM how they should enjoy the beach. Yeah... I can see the other side. I guess I should just say that I can't imagine foisting myself and my taste in music on anyone who's obviously tried to find a place to be alone with his wife. I still think it was rude... but maybe it's just me.
It was extremely rude. Sometimes I think these kind of people are looking for a fight. "Look at me & my $80,000 boat" Mentality level = 5 years old.

Paul T
Old 07-25-2014

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Interesting unfairness in municipal noise rules is evident here in Toronto where there are many cruise / party boats that cater to companies and groups willing to shell out the $40-50 per person to party on the water.
These boats have HUGE sound systems that even when you are onshore and 5 miles from downtown waterfront (like me) you can hear the thump thump of the bass.
They continue until close to midnight 7 nights a week.
Now if it was me in my home or backyard it is 100% inevitable that the cops are going to come knocking at my door.

1981 Edel 665
Currently on the hard in downtown Toronto.
Sailing 2014 has now closed shop.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2014

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

We use our Bose Soundlink Mini, Bluetoothed to my Acer tablet to play tunes stored.
we sit it just under the sliding hatch which protects it from spray and amplifies the sound a bit. That sound is quality sound though in that the Bose is superb. With a quality sound system you should not have to crank the volume,

1981 Edel 665
Currently on the hard in downtown Toronto.
Sailing 2014 has now closed shop.
Old 07-25-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I agree, Bose is the best of the best. I use all Bose sound systems for my work as a musician/singer, and the quality is unsurpassed.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 07-25-2014

Phitod is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Music Etiquette at the Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Additionally, most men loose a lot of their high frequency hearing by age 35 so have a young woman walk with you and ask if she can hear it as well. If you can, it's too damned loud!

Gary
Best pick up line, ever.
Old 07-25-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I haven't read all of the thread so I'm wodering if any one is playing an instrument on board? I use to play in a dance band in my youth and now many years later I've returned to playing the trombone. Even was good enough after all those non playing years to get into a swing band here in NC . However, I'm land based now and can practice in the house, but should I ever return to living on the boat, I don't know how well that noise will be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I haven't read all of the thread so I'm wodering if any one is playing an instrument on board? I use to play in a dance band in my youth and now many years later I've returned to playing the trombone. Even was good enough after all those non playing years to get into a swing band here in NC . However, I'm land based now and can practice in the house, but should I ever return to living on the boat, I don't know how well that noise will be appreciated.
Unless you're really Joseph Alessi, probably not appreciated very much.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-25-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I've returned to playing the trombone.
I'll get my tuba out of retirement and we can play duets, the marina will love us!
Old 07-25-2014

gptyk is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking of taking up the bagpipes. Wonder how the marina will react to that?

I do have a tiny guitar amp that I just bought - haven't used it on the boat yet. But I plan to turn the autopilot on and play away. Cheapie electrics are much more playable than cheapie acoustics - hence a cheap battery powered amp. I don't think I'll be doing my Joe Satriani impersonation on the docks though - that'd be rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.