Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Music Etiquette at the Dock

There's someone in one of the marinas near me who plays the bagpipes at sunset. Fortunately, he's good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
There's someone in one of the marinas near me who plays the bagpipes at sunset. Fortunately, he's good.
I'd rather hear bagpipes than the silly cannons some people think are so cool. Not good for those of us who have been shot at.

We might shoot back.
DRFerron likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-25-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Have two zones to sound system. Run zone inside boat when in marina and on shore power. Hull is insulated and with AC on and companion way closed you can't hear willie or Wagner standing on deck of boat let alone next slip. Days without tunes would suck.
On anchor if solar/wind doesn't keep up run diesel genset or lose all the veggies and meat. Then may run cockpit speakers if anchorage is empty.
Don't see the difference between TV or movie and music. In all cases sail through the world without annoying others is just the right thing to do.
Occasionally will have cockpit party. Then music is loud sometimes. But stop at 9 and usually slip mates are at party anyway.
Old 07-25-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Additionally, most men loose a lot of their high frequency hearing by age 35 so have a young woman walk with you and ask if she can hear it as well. If you can, it's too damned loud!

Gary
Great advise. And if you don't have a young woman readily available it has been known to work if you just ask a few if they want to go back to your boat and check out your sound system.
Old 07-25-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Oh.My.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-25-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
I can't imagine foisting myself and my taste in music on anyone who's obviously tried to find a place to be alone with his wife. I still think it was rude... but maybe it's just me.
It is no doubt that you misread the situation completely.
He obviously didn't want to be "alone" with his wife.
He parked next to you when he didn't have to and invited you over by sharing his music. He no doubt would have shared his liquor and everything else. You were just too dense to pick up on the invitation.

Donna, I'm on a roll. What is it with this thread?
Old 07-25-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Gary-
Be careful with Ryobi. Last I knew they were pretty much an exclusive to Home Depot, direct from China.
A friend of mine had bought a Ryobi drill kit at HD. Can't beat the price, to be sure. Except, it turned out that a year or so later, the trigger switch broke. Barely used, maybe 20 minutes in all, like most small home drills. But the plastic molding for the trigger switch was flawed and let go. No plastic bit, no switch, no drill.
And those switches used to be a dollar part, OK, now they're a five dollar part, but there still are standard switches from all the electronic houses, and all the tool companies sell replacement parts, right?
Nope. Ryobi makes their own special parts to save money, and (at least then) DID NOT HAVE ANY REPAIR OR PARTS PROGRAM AT ALL. They said, sorry, throw it out and buy a whole new kit.
I said you've got to be kidding, ten cents worth of plastic and throw a whole drill kit out to replace it all? Eventually, a sensible manager at Ryobi got permission to simply replace the whole kit, gratis. But that's not going to be done for the average customer.
So while I give that manager kudos, I've avoided Ryobi like the plague. I want "real stuff" from a real company with real repair programs, I don't want to hear about ordering all new stuff from China.
And if that genset is designed for the typical HD consumer? Don't expect it to stand up in heavy long-term use. It turns out "consumer" drills are designed to be used for about three hours, total time, over the life of the tool. "Consumer grade", beware.
Old 07-25-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

I realize this is getting off the topic of music at the dock, but I just want to defend Ryobi. I realize it ain't Milwaukee, but I've had good luck with Ryobi stuff.

I have a couple Ryobicordless drills that I've used hard for over a decade, including getting dropped in the snow a lot this last winter. My only complaint is that I've had to replace the batteries several times.

I have had a Ryobi circular saw for about fifteen years that sees a lot of use and I haven't had any problems. I keep a sharp blade on it and it does great.

I did burn out the motor on my Ryobi drill press, but that was using a 6" hole saw to cut a piece of G10, which I think is beyond the design limits of that device.

I also have a couple Ryobi sanders, a router, and a jigsaw. No problems at all, although I haven't used these as much as the cordless drills and circular saw.

(Edit: The reason I have soooo much Ryobi stuff? Because The Home Depot has a wedding registry! Get hitched, getchya some tools! )

Anyway, back to musical etiquette. When I charter a boat I make it a habit of blasting John Philip Sousa from 3:07am to 3:19am every day, because I think that way the boat owners respect me and know that I'm not just some schuck

Last edited by Minnesail; 07-25-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

For us the ipad or iPhone built in speakers are plenty loud

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-25-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I live at my marina. I rock my boat and the neighbors and if they don't like it they can shift to their anchor (where they should be on a weekend).

Just kidding folks. Music should be like children, not heard unless you want to.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.