Battery Acid! - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter

Battery Acid!

I wound up inadvertently completely draining the battery on my boat a couple of weeks ago, so I took it home to charge. After charging the battery, I put the thing in the back of my car to reinstall the next time I was aboard. Turns out that "next time" was yesterday after work.

Anyway, I get to marina, roll up the hatchback privacy screen, and there is the battery, toppled over on its side in a pool of liquid. The liquid has clearly dissolved the carpet of the cargo mat, and has soaked a sweatshirt and an umbrella. My canvas boat bag is at the edge of this pool, as is the carryall I use to hold my "boat clothes". Ick, ick, ick.

Make a long story at least a little shorter, the battery acid had not dissolved the bottom of the cargo mat, so the car was fine. The sweatshirt and golf umbrella went in the dumpster immediately. I tried to save the cargo mat, but it was too far gone, so away that went too. I took the boat bag home and tried to wash it (twice), but it looks like a goner too. I thought the carryall had escaped unscathed, but upon closer look at home, it apparently got enough acid to make it goey on the inside, so off to the garbage.

After filling the battery with more distilled water, she charged right up again (gotta love the deep cycle).

Lesson learned: do not spill battery acid. Ick. You're welcome.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-24-2014

Re: Battery Acid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I wound up inadvertently completely draining the battery on my boat a couple of weeks ago, so I took it home to charge. After charging the battery, I put the thing in the back of my car to reinstall the next time I was aboard. Turns out that "next time" was yesterday after work.

Anyway, I get to marina, roll up the hatchback privacy screen, and there is the battery, toppled over on its side in a pool of liquid. The liquid has clearly dissolved the carpet of the cargo mat, and has soaked a sweatshirt and an umbrella. My canvas boat bag is at the edge of this pool, as is the carryall I use to hold my "boat clothes". Ick, ick, ick.

Make a long story at least a little shorter, the battery acid had not dissolved the bottom of the cargo mat, so the car was fine. The sweatshirt and golf umbrella went in the dumpster immediately. I tried to save the cargo mat, but it was too far gone, so away that went too. I took the boat bag home and tried to wash it (twice), but it looks like a goner too. I thought the carryall had escaped unscathed, but upon closer look at home, it apparently got enough acid to make it goey on the inside, so off to the garbage.

After filling the battery with more distilled water, she charged right up again (gotta love the deep cycle).

That sucks....

Unfortunately the battery will suffer shorter life, how much is impossible to say. When the water gasses off the acid concentration stays, and adding more water gets you back to pretty much where you were. With a spill you now have a diluted battery acid...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #3 of 40 Old 07-24-2014
Master Mariner

There was a time when you could buy a little plastic bag of battery acid, but I do not know if it's still available (thank you EPA). If you have a real battery manufacturer (not a retail outlet, but someone who builds and sells custom batteries) in your area, I'd give them a call. If they have it, be sure to tell them what battery you have and ask how much you should add to the water, because over doing it is just as bad as not enough.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
newpbs (07-28-2014)
post #4 of 40 Old 07-24-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

You should still be able to buy battery acid. Sulfuric acid is not much of an environmental hazard by itself; it's the stuff that gets dissolved into the acid once it's been used that's the problem. Check your local auto parts store(s). They should sell acid in pint or quart containers for not too much $$.

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 07-24-2014 at 02:17 PM.
post #5 of 40 Old 07-24-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
There was a time when you could buy a little plastic bag of battery acid, but I do not know if it's still available (thank you EPA)...
Don't you just love how people assign blame before they even know that there is a "problem"?

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White
post #6 of 40 Old 07-24-2014

You can buy batt acid at Autozone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #7 of 40 Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks all. Maine, I was thinking that same thing about dilution, but I had no idea if I was right, nor what to do about it. Assuming I find battery acid, how do I know how much to put in? And now that I've filled up the cells with distilled water, how do fit the acid in there?
post #8 of 40 Old 07-24-2014

If you know the battery is charged, can't you use a hygrometer (sp?) to see if the acid concentration is high or low?
Mr. Bubs likes this.

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I

post #9 of 40 Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter

fyi, in trying to answer my own questions, I came across this website that does not recommend trying to recreate the correct mix of acid and water after a partial spill:

BatteryStuff Articles | When Should You Add Extra Sulfuric Acid to Your Battery?

That brings to mind another question: how much liquid is in a group 24 battery? My spill didn't seem very big, but it seemed to me that the battery sucked up about a half a quart of distilled water when I refilled it. Any way of telling how much of the original fluid I lost?
post #10 of 40 Old 07-24-2014
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post

Considering that the battery was "fully" charged when you lost (most of) the electrolyte, in the same circumstances I would have taken the unit to a good battery shop, or even a "Batteries Plus" outlet, where they could have drained off the remaining electrolyte and refilled the battery with an appropriate solution. Perhaps that's still possible but likely more problematic at this point and it might be wiser to simply trade the unit in on a replacement (and drive more carefully, and conservatively, to the marina to avoid a similar problem, no?)

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.