Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014

ldeikis is on a distinguished road
Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company.

Hello all. I've been scouring through the archives, so this isn't totally without research. I've also dug through more day-sailer specific sites, but I know well enough from other forums that we can be a bit particular to our specific passions, so I thought this might be a less prejudiced audience.

I'm a fit mid-30's man moving from land-locked upstate NY to lower NY, on/near the Hudson (near Peekskill--about 25 miles from NYC the way the crow flies). I grew up sailing a laser I (and various slower sunfishes etc) on medium sized lakes in Michigan--not competitively, and without a jib... I don't even remember when I learned to sail, actually... and I have fond memories of sailing with a grandpa and uncle on much larger boats in Lake Erie and the Chesapeake. BUT, I haven't sailed anything larger than the laser solo, and haven't been on a sailboat in 15-20 years, due to moving and family passing away etc.

I'm excited for the possibility of making sailing a part of my life again.

I would ideally like a boat small enough that I can singlehand it on the Hudson at that location--which is pretty big for a river--because my work schedule is erratic, so I may often be free to sail without the wife, and also because I don't know how she'll take to it (she's never really sailed). BUT, I'd ALSO like to sometimes bring along the wife, or a friend or two, or the dog (he puts up with rough river canoeing and is mostly lab, so swims well). Hoping to be in this for <$2k including a trailer. No desire at all to race. I'm 100% confident that I could rig and sail a laser solo tomorrow morning, but I remember that even as a highschooler, sailing a laser with two of us (even with a 110 lb high school girlfriend) was a real let down. I *do* have access to an affordable mooring, and likely having the boat moored would be preferable to trailering and setting-up a laser, as I don't anticipate the new house having tons of spare real estate to keep a boat trailered all summer.

The question is, is something like an O'day Day Sailer I going to be too much boat for a person with decent instinct but rusty skills--in which case I'll buy a laser, have a season of solo sailing, and then move on--or is that a reasonable boat that I'll be able to deal with? Also interested in thoughts on Flying Jr's. Don't seem as many of them around, but maybe fits the niche I want? Obviously so much of it is subjective, but it would help to get some opinions.

Thanks!

Luke (soon) in Peekskill

(edited to include price)

Last edited by ldeikis; 07-27-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company

I have always considered the Rhodes 19 to be the perfect beginner's day sailor. It is a stable boat with lots of cockpit space, yet easy to sail and dock with only one person. They are common and can be had at a good price and are pretty well bullet proof, so a few novice mistakes won't send her to the bottom, even if you do chip the gelcoat here and there.
I believe there are enough around that they might even have some class races now and then.

Last edited by capta; 07-27-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company

Vanguard 15. Probably a little more than 2k but not much.
Old 07-28-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

My friends have an Oday Daysailer moored a bit further north than you and they say it is fine on the Hudson.

One person can sail it fine. Picking up the mooring alone would worry me a little if it was rough out.

There are a lot of them around here, not many Rhodes 19's. Also the Oday has a centerboard so it's easy to trailer home but it's not as stable as the Rhodes.

This looks promising and is nearby -

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/boa/4580685177.html

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 07-28-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2014

jppp is on a distinguished road

Rhodes 19 is a great idea. I have a friend who sails one out of Peekskill YC.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 07-28-2014

ldeikis is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm not going to buy a boat until we've actually bought the new house and pulled off the move. Unfortunately that means I won't be sailing likely this season, but it does mean I'm buying at a good time of year.

It sounds like the consensus is that an Oday is a reasonable choice *even considering my reasonably beginner skills*? Poking around on the web proves lots of people singlehand them, my question is more about whether I'm in over my head to have that be a reentry boat.

Thanks again.

Luke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.