Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014

ldeikis is on a distinguished road
Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company.

Hello all. I've been scouring through the archives, so this isn't totally without research. I've also dug through more day-sailer specific sites, but I know well enough from other forums that we can be a bit particular to our specific passions, so I thought this might be a less prejudiced audience.

I'm a fit mid-30's man moving from land-locked upstate NY to lower NY, on/near the Hudson (near Peekskill--about 25 miles from NYC the way the crow flies). I grew up sailing a laser I (and various slower sunfishes etc) on medium sized lakes in Michigan--not competitively, and without a jib... I don't even remember when I learned to sail, actually... and I have fond memories of sailing with a grandpa and uncle on much larger boats in Lake Erie and the Chesapeake. BUT, I haven't sailed anything larger than the laser solo, and haven't been on a sailboat in 15-20 years, due to moving and family passing away etc.

I'm excited for the possibility of making sailing a part of my life again.

I would ideally like a boat small enough that I can singlehand it on the Hudson at that location--which is pretty big for a river--because my work schedule is erratic, so I may often be free to sail without the wife, and also because I don't know how she'll take to it (she's never really sailed). BUT, I'd ALSO like to sometimes bring along the wife, or a friend or two, or the dog (he puts up with rough river canoeing and is mostly lab, so swims well). Hoping to be in this for <$2k including a trailer. No desire at all to race. I'm 100% confident that I could rig and sail a laser solo tomorrow morning, but I remember that even as a highschooler, sailing a laser with two of us (even with a 110 lb high school girlfriend) was a real let down. I *do* have access to an affordable mooring, and likely having the boat moored would be preferable to trailering and setting-up a laser, as I don't anticipate the new house having tons of spare real estate to keep a boat trailered all summer.

The question is, is something like an O'day Day Sailer I going to be too much boat for a person with decent instinct but rusty skills--in which case I'll buy a laser, have a season of solo sailing, and then move on--or is that a reasonable boat that I'll be able to deal with? Also interested in thoughts on Flying Jr's. Don't seem as many of them around, but maybe fits the niche I want? Obviously so much of it is subjective, but it would help to get some opinions.

Thanks!

Luke (soon) in Peekskill

(edited to include price)

Last edited by ldeikis; 07-27-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company

I have always considered the Rhodes 19 to be the perfect beginner's day sailor. It is a stable boat with lots of cockpit space, yet easy to sail and dock with only one person. They are common and can be had at a good price and are pretty well bullet proof, so a few novice mistakes won't send her to the bottom, even if you do chip the gelcoat here and there.
I believe there are enough around that they might even have some class races now and then.

Last edited by capta; 07-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Daysailer as reasonable re-entry boat in Hudson River, single-handed or w company

Vanguard 15. Probably a little more than 2k but not much.
Old 07-28-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

My friends have an Oday Daysailer moored a bit further north than you and they say it is fine on the Hudson.

One person can sail it fine. Picking up the mooring alone would worry me a little if it was rough out.

There are a lot of them around here, not many Rhodes 19's. Also the Oday has a centerboard so it's easy to trailer home but it's not as stable as the Rhodes.

This looks promising and is nearby -

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/boa/4580685177.html

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 07-28-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2014

jppp is on a distinguished road

Rhodes 19 is a great idea. I have a friend who sails one out of Peekskill YC.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 07-28-2014

ldeikis is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm not going to buy a boat until we've actually bought the new house and pulled off the move. Unfortunately that means I won't be sailing likely this season, but it does mean I'm buying at a good time of year.

It sounds like the consensus is that an Oday is a reasonable choice *even considering my reasonably beginner skills*? Poking around on the web proves lots of people singlehand them, my question is more about whether I'm in over my head to have that be a reentry boat.

Thanks again.

Luke