Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006

budds is on a distinguished road
Stoltz Boats

What is the real/proper name for Stoltz sailboats?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
As far as I know Stoltz was a local (lower mainland) builderthat produced a few boats back in the day, mostly the Stoltz 25, of which there are a number still around. Smallish, with a stepped cabin, quite narrow I believe. Occasionally they pop up in the Buy and Sell at bargain prices.
btw - if you are still looking at the Rawson 26 there is one in our marina, I could send you pics if you like.
Old 04-26-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Further on Stoltz

Found this tidbit on another forum:
I have gathered a fair amount of history on the Stoltz 25 and its predecessor the Seahawk 24 and have spoken to people who personally knew the original Stoltz designer. I'm still looking for more of the history of this design. Apparently a group of TCA pilots bought the mould for the boat and built them in Steveston There are quite a few Stoltzes still around. I bought my second Stoltz 25 last year and am currently (attempting) to restore it to its original condition. Any ideas on interior modifications would be greatly appreciated. My interior still has the slide out galley on the starboard side

This was in a thread on the Pacific Yachting forum from a couple of years ago.
Cheers
Old 04-28-2006
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Stoltz boats

I have heard so little on Stoltz sailboats. Who designed them? How many models did they produce? Where were they built? Were they only trailer sailers?

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-22-2011

Kiekhaefer is on a distinguished road
My Uncle, Bob Stoltz was the owner and manufacturer of Stoltz Craft boats. My Dad, Spike Stoltz and his other brother George along with their sons-in laws and various employees built all these boats. John Brandlemeier (spelling?) was the designer of the Stoltz24 and Stoltz25.

The Stoltz24 was built and sold as a hull only that the buyer finished off. The Stoltz25 was built to completion by Stoltz Craft; 30 of which were made. At least that's what my brother-in-law told me who spoke with Bob when he was still alive. Apparently they have a steel encased lead keel which was bolted on with 8 stainless steel 3/4" bolts.

They had 2 boat shops. Both are now long gone. They were in Steveston down the road from each other. "The Big Boat Shop", (which is what we called it) was at Garry Point. They built bigger fishing boats (mostly wooden I think) there I think which were launched right into the Frazer. There is a park and a parking lot there now. "The Little Boat Shop" is where they made smaller sailboats and runabouts. Fiberglass boats were made there. Uncle Bob and Auntie Verna lived right next door to the little shop.

Bob ran Stoltz Craft from 1945 to 1977 when he sold everything. My cousin Lynn still has some of the Stoltz manufacturer tags.

This picture shows a 13.5' runabout. It must be about 1967 or 68 because I'm 3 or 4 years old in the photo. See the logo on the boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Stoltz Boats-stoltz-craft.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013
stoltzsailor

masonc is on a distinguished road
Re: Stoltz Boats

I am new to forum, have put many, many hours into restoration of a 24 ft Stoltz sailboat. Always noticed major differences between 24 and 25 footers, makes sense that 24 ft were hulls completed by owners. I always get comments that the fin keel is identical to those used on Thunderbirds, cast iron, no lead as far as I know. Also I happen to know someone related to Bob Stoltz, a Dan Adams residing in Nanaimo who shared some history of Stoltz craft. Would like to find out the years the 24 foot hulls were manufactured, no identifying marks on boat, other than a piece of old newspaper that found its way into resin during layup. Would really like to get a Stoltz craft logo, or at least a good picture of one I can follow.