What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What is your occupation?
Professional and Business Services 20 23.53%
Trade, Transportation, and Utilities 13 15.29%
Leisure and Hospitality 5 5.88%
Education and Health Services 4 4.71%
Manufacturing 7 8.24%
Government 6 7.06%
Financial Activities 3 3.53%
Construction 9 10.59%
Retired 17 20.00%
Other 11 12.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing?

My company retired me, a nice way of saying they laid me off. But what they heck I was ready to go and approaching the magic age of 65. So how can we afford to sail? For 40 some years we lived below our means, built two houses, drove used cars, participated in the company 401k to the max, invested left over monies and went on vacations during the off seasons. I'm finishing up our boat now, just tried the water systems, had one leak, my fault, cracked a elbow while expanding the PEX. Oh, I was an electrical engineer.
Old 07-30-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs675 View Post
Deuce Bigalow, male gigolo!
You beat me to the comment! ��

I rehabilitate chimneys and fireplaces.

I got laid off with 80% pay in May, so now l have the summer off and even if they go bankrupt and let me go, unemployment will be fine cause I live aboard swinging on my buoy which is very little overhead. I can do this for the 2 year unemployment limit, then l got to get the ugly J word.

Last edited by Andrew65; 07-30-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I was in computer/storage/networking sales and training.

After I sold all the stock that I had in the company at $118/share, I was laid off by my last employer 1.5 years ago. Today it is trading at $42/share (and still overvalued IMHO).

After 28 years in the high-tech industry, I got sick of writing weekly reports that no one read, and the dog-eat-dog mindset that seems to have permeated almost every large corporation with which I worked (DEC, Sun, IBM, etc.). Instead, I decided to focus my energy into something that I love; Sailing.

Since then I got my OUPV, and ASA Instructor Certification. I hope to make enough money to maintain the boat, buy food, have access to healthcare, and pay the marina fees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-30-2014

RedHorizon is on a distinguished road

I'm "pseudo government", but still private sector. I manage the business side of a banking software application.
Old 07-30-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Teaching was OK but only gives two months off in the summer so built a boat from stuff and allowed passengers to pay me big bucks to entertain them. See Three hour Sail . Wintered in Thailand for twenty years and after my second cardiac death sold the boat and sent my co pilot out to get her 3rd power engineer ticket. Figure the oil fields will support me in the manor in which I've become accustomed.

Last edited by Capt Len; 07-30-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2014
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

I'm a writer and I don't make much.
It's about choices. I drive an older vehicle. I'd rather have a slip payment than a car payment and you don't have to have a 2014 50' boat to go sailing.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-30-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Saved lives for 40 years. Never felt a day at work wasn't worthwhile until recently. Once I started to spend half my day advocating ( fancy word for arguing) with uneducated RNs, or docs or administrators for keeping my patients alive when all they wanted was to save a buck for the system finally had enough. Wanted to do my job not negotiate allowable services, medications etc.Now sail and save my soul.
Just retired 2 weeks ago. So far 2 days on land. One day in a marina. Rest with the rags up. Good ratio.

Last edited by outbound; 07-30-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
the dog-eat-dog mindset that seems to have permeated almost every large corporation with which I worked (DEC, Sun, IBM, etc.).
I was in the same field and was rapidly being worked into a breakdown - 15 to 17 hour days, 7 days a week for months on end. I went on stress leave with my strongest backing coming from the 2 hit men the company hired to try & deny my claim. The first one ended the session with "I'm surprised you survived - we'll start with a dozen sessions and a personal trainer".

A few months later they "restructured" my position out of existence so I just stayed on paid leave, plus they had to pay me a very healthy severance package. I'll be staying on paid leave until I turn 65 instead of retiring at 63 per normal. That will make it 8 years - what a bunch of soulless dummies.

My last boss got forced into early retirement and croaked from a heart attack within 2 years. I was on track for the same, primarily due to her, but in the end, it worked out better for me than any other scenario.

Working on my Karma all those years really paid off. I was sailing in the BVI while the clowns that did it were here in the rain still working those crazy hours.

Sinatra was right - living well IS the best revenge.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-30-2014
Just A Member

Dick6969 is on a distinguished road

I have had my own Harley aftermarket motorcycle shop since 1979. Started in N.C.. I moved to S.C. in 1989 had the shop going since. Keep getting boats that need work, try to fix them up sell it and get one alittle larger . Now there getting to big I have to pay for a slip or on the hard year round. Now I have to work harder. I leave Friday afternoon and go back to work Tuesday morining every weekend. I am glad that my wife works. I am 59 and going to sell the shop in 3 years. I better get back to work...
Pearson 323 Hull #89 (Frayed Knot)

Last edited by Dick6969; 07-30-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 07-30-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I did a 90/10 retirement at the age of 25 now I work about 10% of the year and play the balance of it. I don't have to but honestly I'd clean toilets if it was the only way to keep my lifestyle afloat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.