Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006
HMSINDY

JohnYates is on a distinguished road
What to do with bad gas?

The gasoline in my one gallon dinghy jug and the small amount in the 4 hp Yamaha motor tank have apparently gone bad after 5 months. The gas smells like its 5 years old. Where can one dispose of bad gas? I don't want to add it to the yard's used oil receptacle and I don't want to pour it on the ground and I certainly don't want to burn it. I haven't tried to start the dinghy engine yet. Perhaps it will run on it anyway?!
Any thoughts on disposing of the old fuel?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2006
FORCED TO RETIRE AT 54

BEANS is on a distinguished road
Because it smells bad does not make it bad. Put it in your lawn mower!!
I worked in a refinery for 15 years, it will run. If your afraid, dump it in another can of gas you use for your yard and gas powered tools. If theres no water, it will work fine.

Last edited by BEANS; 04-24-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnYates
Any thoughts on disposing of the old fuel?
From the EPA web site:

During the 1980s, many communities started special collection days or permanent collection sites for handling household hazardous waste. On collection days, qualified professionals collect hazardous wastes at a central location to ensure safe waste disposal. Over 3,000 collection programs have been undertaken in the United States. Check with the local chamber of commerce, county, or state environmental or solid waste agency to see if there is a household hazardous waste collection program in your area.
Old 04-24-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
Don't sweat it, Johnny. Gasoline is a witches brew of about 60 components including butane and heptane, which evaporate out of it and leave more things to degrade into varnish and crud. Pump gas is built to be used within 90 days and after that it degrades. You can add a shot of Stabilant and keep the gas in a (preferably full) airtight container to preserve it for much longer terms.

But for a 1-gallon container? Not worth while. The stale gas can be dumped at any gas station (in their waste oil tank preferably) or in an "waste oil" container at a marina, etc. Most of them SELL that waste or use it for heating, so only a cranky old SOB would tell you that you couldn't dump it. Especially if you were buying gas to refill it.

If you have a car with a 10+ gallon tank, I'd just dump it into your own gas tank before taking a long trip, so it was burned out with the rest on the highway. When it is diluted down that way and used promptly--no problems, it will burn. It just doesn't burn as well as fresh gasoline. Again, USE IT UP don't just top up a tank and leave it sitting again.

Using it in a 2-cycle engine like a lawn mower can also be a good use for it, they'll run on just about anything. Just don't LEAVE it in the mower, those varnishes, etc, form as it keeps decaying and then it cruds things up. (Crud, tehnical term.)
Old 04-24-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared
Using it in a 2-cycle engine like a lawn mower can also be a good use for it, they'll run on just about anything. Just don't LEAVE it in the mower, those varnishes, etc, form as it keeps decaying and then it cruds things up. (Crud, tehnical term.)
If a small engine has been left with fuel in it for a long time, is there an easy fix or product that can remedy the varnish or crud problem?
Old 04-24-2006

mikej2 is on a distinguished road
About the only way, if it's been in there so long as to really be varnish, is Elbow Grease. Pretty much take it apart and clean it out.
Old 04-24-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
also, legaly anyplace that sells oil/atf/gasoline/any petrolium product have to accept it for recycling, many places don't take any pains to make it known, but they do have somewhere to put it.

ken.