Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2014
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Business Cards for your boat

Anyone have a business card for their boat?

I was given one a while ago by a by a guy with a Cal 39 I think. Had a line drawing of his boat on it with the boat name and contact info.

Anyone want to post theirs here? Thought it would be an interesting/fun conversation starter to have. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2014

CharlzO is on a distinguished road
Re: Business Cards for your boat

If mine was worth showing off, or if I was more of a resource for advice than the novice I am, AND if I was somewhere other than a small inland lake marina, I would probably. Now that you mention them, maybe I will anyway just because, they're cheap enough to get. I remember seeing other people had similar things, and stationary, stamps, etc. Wish I remembered that thread, interesting ones in there to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

It is very common now for cruisers to exchange "boat cards" in the Caribbean. Almost everybody has them, but they most often have a picture of the boat on them. Nikki and I have decided that this is not a very good card to exchange. We are talking about people who quite often do not even know what day of the week it is, and a picture of another boat will rarely bring to mind the people sailing the boat. We have come to the conclusion, that in order for boat cards to have any use, they should picture the crew, not the boat. We all have a pretty good idea of what a Catalina, a Morgan or a Pearson of whatever line looks like under sail, but we need a reminder of what that couple we met in Trinidad last year looks like, because I'm pretty sure that's their boat, anchored over there!
mgmhead, jwing and WGEwald like this.
Old 07-31-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Great way to exchange proper spelling of names, mailing address, email address, cell phone, sat phone, mmsi, blog address, facebook page or whatever you choose. The crew pic is a good idea, but I've not seen it yet.

The issue I have with them is not necessarily wanting to give the same info to everyone. Some I would give my email, but not my phone or mmsi for that matter. Others, I would give everything to.

You could have a generic card and write it in, but then it looks like you just had cards made with your boat pic on them, or yourself, which seems funny to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-31-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Nice story.

We anchored at Damaricove Is and hunkered down for a blow. Next day, wind was down a little so we tried to leave. 1/2 mile out, wife in tears, my shorts nearly soiled, we limped back to our mooring. Wind was down but seas were not. The guy from the next boat hailed us from his dighy about an hour later and invited us to a cabin for dinner with the the folks from several boats and the islandkeeper. So, after a nice meal, wine and conversation with 6 strangers, the fellow that invited us handed me his business card for his boat. It turns out that we were all from southern Maine and knew many of the same people.
Old 07-31-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Heres my boat card. It just has the email address on it and website.
Front is celoglaze so it can get a bit damp, reverse side in plain card to allow the writing of a note or phone number.

My head is not in it for ego reasons but that most cruisers are old pre-dementia at best, slowly withering in the brain department so they need a photo to kick their memory to one last gasp.

When I get a boat card i write on it the date and location when I met the people and a 1 to 10 rating of me ever wanting to see them again unless I am sinking in a typhoon...

They ain't stupid things to have because you do meet a lot of people cruising and its difficult to keep up.

davidpm likes this.

Old 07-31-2014
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road

Boat Cards are a handy way to swap information. We too note the location and date of our meeting another cruiser on the reverse of the card. Each card is filed in a binder in alphabetical order, by boat name, for quick future reference. "oh look, there's Nonameo, what's their names"?

Our boat card has a happy photo of the two of us, our names, email addresses and mobile phone numbers. Also the name of our boat and the make/model.

Very common to exchange with other cruisers, or not ...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 07-31-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I made boat cards and use a gmail account just for the cards. I keep forgetting to carry them and hand them to anyone, however. I think the only cards I have from other boats are people in my marina.

Note to self: Don't give MarkofSeaLife our card.

MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-31-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Go to Vista Print dot com, you can create your own, very professional looking cards. Piece of cake!

Gary
Old 07-31-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

What's the down side of giving out mmsi #?
Was thinking our mutual gmail not each of ours email, cellphones, boat name with home port and, picture of boat .
Was concerned about including cellphone # given cost of air time in some places.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.