Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Andrew65, is your boat's name The Other Woman? It has to be!
Shnool, your daughter is going to RULE racing in that boat. Your boat is awesome- love your Youtube vids!

I am very lucky. My wife supports me unconditionally on all things boat. When I get depressed about the amount of money and work it takes to improve it, she motivates me.
Old 08-01-2014
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that boat ownership and family life are not always compatible.

If you must have your sailboat and you both love the water ... the only way to 'present' the idea of boat ownership is as a romantic getaway on the water that even your kids can enjoy. Much less expensive than waterfront property (most of the time) and don't forget to mention moonlit sails.

If the idea is presented as being good for your relationship, really...it's for her (really) ... how could she say no?

It's guess I'm saying that it's all in the 'packaging'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 08-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Not an answer to this specific question, but we found in our travels that almost every couple (with very few exceptions) we met doing serious cruising were in a second marriage. It did not seem to matter whether they from North America, Europe, Australia, Brazil, you name it.
Andrew65 likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 08-01-2014
s/v Dream Weaver

clip68 is on a distinguished road

My wife is equally excited to have a boat. She loves sailing, and even working on the thing. Go figure, I think I've got a winner (as if there were a doubt).
Andrew65 likes this.
Old 08-01-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Andrew65, is your boat's name The Other Woman? It has to be!
Shnool, your daughter is going to RULE racing in that boat. Your boat is awesome- love your Youtube vids!

I am very lucky. My wife supports me unconditionally on all things boat. When I get depressed about the amount of money and work it takes to improve it, she motivates me.
Actually, I bought Matsya after the event. My kids love it and have the chance to experience all things sailing, the water, and nature. Next to my buoy, we have memberships with a kayak club and enjoy that too (plus their gym and laundromat for me). We are becoming closer because of it (literally) and they are becoming avid readers instead of getting lost in the boobtube or the computer.

Cruising for me now isn't about distant shores, but about selling the idea of it to them to find out what's over the horizon.

...plus, it annoys the shite out of their mother. All the kids talk about is their dad's boat.
Old 08-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip68 View Post
My wife is equally excited to have a boat. She loves sailing, and even working on the thing. Go figure, I think I've got a winner (as if there were a doubt).
Sounds like you're off to a good start and welcome to Sailnet!
Old 08-01-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

In the Azores a sailor friend got divorced because his wife slept on the wrong boat, ....and liked it. Does that qualify?
Old 08-01-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
I'm pretty sure that boat ownership and family life are not always compatible.

If you must have your sailboat and you both love the water ... the only way to 'present' the idea of boat ownership is as a romantic getaway on the water that even your kids can enjoy. Much less expensive than waterfront property (most of the time) and don't forget to mention moonlit sails.

If the idea is presented as being good for your relationship, really...it's for her (really) ... how could she say no?

It's guess I'm saying that it's all in the 'packaging'.
It's interesting how different people approach boat ownership. I'm the one who thinks ahead to the Next Boat. I spent months researching, asking questions, looking for owners who could answer questions, thinking of what our goals are. Then I prepared in my head a "presentation" that, rather than sugar coat, began with the biggest negative which was the initial cost of the boat, even used. During our discussion, before I got to (mental) bullet #3, he said "Why don't we just buy it new?"

Giving it some thought, if things were reversed, I, too, would just like the facts presented to me rather than a watered down "package." Makes me feel like we're in it together.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
In the Azores a sailor friend got divorced because his wife slept on the wrong boat, ....and liked it. Does that qualify?
Definitely!
Old 08-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
It's interesting how different people approach boat ownership. I'm the one who thinks ahead to the Next Boat. I spent months researching, asking questions, looking for owners who could answer questions, thinking of what our goals are. Then I prepared in my head a "presentation" that, rather than sugar coat, began with the biggest negative which was the initial cost of the boat, even used. During our discussion, before I got to (mental) bullet #3, he said "Why don't we just buy it new?"

Giving it some thought, if things were reversed, I, too, would just like the facts presented to me rather than a watered down "package." Makes me feel like we're in it together.
Thanks for posting Donna. Do you feel guys (who are generally the initiator for a sailboat) tend to sugercoat it when buying one?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.