Who is divorced because of sailing? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree34Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 08-01-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 402
Thanks: 34
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2
FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Andrew65, is your boat's name The Other Woman? It has to be!
Shnool, your daughter is going to RULE racing in that boat. Your boat is awesome- love your Youtube vids!

I am very lucky. My wife supports me unconditionally on all things boat. When I get depressed about the amount of money and work it takes to improve it, she motivates me.
__________________
1977 C&C 27 MKIII
Sea Mist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 08-01-2014
TropicCat's Avatar
Senior Pirate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cape Canaveral, FL
Posts: 2,462
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 7
TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

I'm pretty sure that boat ownership and family life are not always compatible.

If you must have your sailboat and you both love the water ... the only way to 'present' the idea of boat ownership is as a romantic getaway on the water that even your kids can enjoy. Much less expensive than waterfront property (most of the time) and don't forget to mention moonlit sails.

If the idea is presented as being good for your relationship, really...it's for her (really) ... how could she say no?

It's guess I'm saying that it's all in the 'packaging'.
__________________
Tropic Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 08-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 08-01-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,617
Thanks: 5
Thanked 86 Times in 75 Posts
Rep Power: 9
killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Not an answer to this specific question, but we found in our travels that almost every couple (with very few exceptions) we met doing serious cruising were in a second marriage. It did not seem to matter whether they from North America, Europe, Australia, Brazil, you name it.
Andrew65 likes this.
__________________
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 08-01-2014
clip68's Avatar
s/v Dream Weaver
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 192
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 1
clip68 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

My wife is equally excited to have a boat. She loves sailing, and even working on the thing. Go figure, I think I've got a winner (as if there were a doubt).
Andrew65 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 08-01-2014
Andrew65's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 360
Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Andrew65, is your boat's name The Other Woman? It has to be!
Shnool, your daughter is going to RULE racing in that boat. Your boat is awesome- love your Youtube vids!

I am very lucky. My wife supports me unconditionally on all things boat. When I get depressed about the amount of money and work it takes to improve it, she motivates me.
Actually, I bought Matsya after the event. My kids love it and have the chance to experience all things sailing, the water, and nature. Next to my buoy, we have memberships with a kayak club and enjoy that too (plus their gym and laundromat for me). We are becoming closer because of it (literally) and they are becoming avid readers instead of getting lost in the boobtube or the computer.

Cruising for me now isn't about distant shores, but about selling the idea of it to them to find out what's over the horizon.

...plus, it annoys the shite out of their mother. All the kids talk about is their dad's boat.
__________________
You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 08-01-2014
Andrew65's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 360
Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip68 View Post
My wife is equally excited to have a boat. She loves sailing, and even working on the thing. Go figure, I think I've got a winner (as if there were a doubt).
Sounds like you're off to a good start and welcome to Sailnet!
__________________
You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 08-01-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 8
SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

In the Azores a sailor friend got divorced because his wife slept on the wrong boat, ....and liked it. Does that qualify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 08-01-2014
DRFerron's Avatar
A mod and her dragon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,172
Thanks: 71
Thanked 161 Times in 145 Posts
Rep Power: 10
DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
I'm pretty sure that boat ownership and family life are not always compatible.

If you must have your sailboat and you both love the water ... the only way to 'present' the idea of boat ownership is as a romantic getaway on the water that even your kids can enjoy. Much less expensive than waterfront property (most of the time) and don't forget to mention moonlit sails.

If the idea is presented as being good for your relationship, really...it's for her (really) ... how could she say no?

It's guess I'm saying that it's all in the 'packaging'.
It's interesting how different people approach boat ownership. I'm the one who thinks ahead to the Next Boat. I spent months researching, asking questions, looking for owners who could answer questions, thinking of what our goals are. Then I prepared in my head a "presentation" that, rather than sugar coat, began with the biggest negative which was the initial cost of the boat, even used. During our discussion, before I got to (mental) bullet #3, he said "Why don't we just buy it new?"

Giving it some thought, if things were reversed, I, too, would just like the facts presented to me rather than a watered down "package." Makes me feel like we're in it together.
__________________
Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 08-01-2014
Andrew65's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 360
Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
In the Azores a sailor friend got divorced because his wife slept on the wrong boat, ....and liked it. Does that qualify?
Definitely!
__________________
You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 08-01-2014
Andrew65's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 360
Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is divorced because of sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
It's interesting how different people approach boat ownership. I'm the one who thinks ahead to the Next Boat. I spent months researching, asking questions, looking for owners who could answer questions, thinking of what our goals are. Then I prepared in my head a "presentation" that, rather than sugar coat, began with the biggest negative which was the initial cost of the boat, even used. During our discussion, before I got to (mental) bullet #3, he said "Why don't we just buy it new?"

Giving it some thought, if things were reversed, I, too, would just like the facts presented to me rather than a watered down "package." Makes me feel like we're in it together.
Thanks for posting Donna. Do you feel guys (who are generally the initiator for a sailboat) tend to sugercoat it when buying one?
__________________
You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 US National Sailing Team Named - US SAILING News @ ISAF - Sailing.org NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-20-2006 08:18 AM
USA. US SAILING names 2006 US National Sailing Team @ BYM Sailing News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-20-2006 04:16 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.