keel cooling - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 08-01-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Re: keel cooling

you have a steel boat right? its pretty damn easy to rig on a steel boat, especially of you are in colder waters...

I like the idea if using the hollow skeg as the cooler too

pics?

Islander 36 now FOR SALE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-02-2014
Wingnut

I almost have a steel boat.
Still sitting inn the yard.
So, yeah it is easy to do with steel, and evenn easier to do if you are building it yourself from scratch.
Maybe i will upload a bunch of pictures one day, but for now, I dont have time.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-02-2014

Our Isotherm in-water heat exchanger is a coil inside the bronze thru-hull fitting for our galley sink drain. The coil is completely within the hull fitting. The fitting itself looks much like a conventional fitting, but a little wider and notable for the ring of 1/4" perforations, and protrudes perhaps 3/16" so as to produce little disruption in flow over the hull. The first year we used a special zinc, but it proved unnecessary and we haven't used it since (at least 10 years).

We see absolutely no fouling inside the hull fitting and the coil is perfectly clean. My understanding is that the darkness inside the fitting and the heat associated with its function are more than sufficient to eliminate growth.
Minnesail likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-03-2014

Here's a picture of the isotherm thru hull. The center is carries the drain from the galley sink. The perforations allow water flow into the cooling coil area. Two of the perforations are threaded to accommodate a special zinc--if you need to use one. The marelon thru hull to the left accommodates a 5/8" raw water intake hose (for scale).

The photo was taken after installing the thru hull 11 years ago. The coil was virtually just as clean prior to launch this year and I have never had to touch it. It just wasn't as shiny as new.

post #15 of 21 Old 08-04-2014 Thread Starter
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

that is pretty cool (sorry about the pun!) looking

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

post #16 of 21 Old 08-04-2014

My yacht has keel cooling no external pipes just a tank in the keel it works really well have had no issues.Never gotten hot when the boat has a furry bum.A lot less hassle than a heat exchanger
Brent Swain likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-04-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Here's a picture of the isotherm thru hull. The center is carries the drain from the galley sink. The perforations allow water flow into the cooling coil area. Two of the perforations are threaded to accommodate a special zinc--if you need to use one. The marelon thru hull to the left accommodates a 5/8" raw water intake hose (for scale).

The photo was taken after installing the thru hull 11 years ago. The coil was virtually just as clean prior to launch this year and I have never had to touch it. It just wasn't as shiny as new.

Ditto here. I have the same thru-hull and spent last winter in very warm, growth-prone water. The inside of the device remained clean.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-08-2014
1974 Cal 29

In debating my diesel re-power, I've considered some air-cooled diesels. My plan was to cool the oil for the engine. I would use the existing through-hull to let sea-water into a tube, inside which a coil of copper tubing is wound for the oil to run through. A diaphragm pump would pull water out of the other end of the tube and pump it into the exhaust pipe. The only concern is that a broken oil cooler line would lead to seawater in the wrong part of the engine!
post #19 of 21 Old 08-08-2014

Most transmissions are water cooled so there's no problem in cooling engine oil same way but why a 'diaphragm ' pump? go to all the trouble of bringing salt water in and cooling the exhaust and still have to deal with lots of hot air and noise. As for keel cooling, big difference between the needs of a little fridge and a 671 Jimmy.

Last edited by Capt Len; 08-10-2014 at 07:29 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-12-2014
1974 Cal 29

It's a small electric 300GPH diaphragm pump. I already have it, and figured it would be the easiest way to rig a pump, as it's just a few hose-clamps to hook up to the heat exchanger.

I'm not really sure of any electric water pump that is rated to run for days at a time....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.